Recommend me an aggressive compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tp3 wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:
krixa wrote:I'm searching for a compressor that'll help me achieve that squashed, strained and dirty techno percussion sound.

What should I look for?

Thanks
Rough Rider

http://www.audiodamage.com/downloads/pr ... pid=ADF002

It's rough. It's dirty. It's free...
... and should be used in either NY style compression or on audio without prominent hi-end (it was designed for kicks, basses and the likes).
Nonsense. You can use it on anything you want. The OP said he wanted a "squashed, strained, dirty techno percussion sound." A bit of high-end roll off goes along with the territory. It's one of the things that gives Rough Rider that particular sound-- kind of like an Alesis 3630. Those Alesis compressors strip the high end off of everything they touch, but they were used to squash drums on tons of techno records. When I think "dirty techno", NY style compression is the last thing I would want. The more the original signal gets destroyed, the better.
"The Juno 60 was often incorrectly referred to as a synth. It is, in fact, a chorus unit with a synth attached." -PAK

mpressor,look no further-it can be really aggressive...just demo it and try yourself
The Art Of Fighting Without Fighting

+1 for mpressor. Try it, be amazed, then wait for a PA sale.

afreshcupofjoe wrote:
Nonsense. You can use it on anything you want.
Depends on the sound/instrument you are looking for.
I´ve got some 40 compressors, one of the tightest, when I need really squashed
sound is this "forgotten" great plugin:
http://www.ursplugins.com/urs1975.html

One of the spcialities is the "classical" compressed piano sound you can achieve with this, with the right setting really, really nice. H.

DBX 160... from Native Instruments/Softube (VC 160) but also the UAD DBX 160.

the most aggressive comp i know : 112dB Big Blue Compressor

http://112db.com/bigblue/compressor/

Beat me to it :lol:

Another one which really kills it: dlM sixtyfive

codec_spurt wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Predatohm, Devastor and Decimort ...
If you want to play that game..

http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/prod ... ?pid=AD030

The most under rated plugin in the whole Audio Damage range.

You can split bands like usual multi-band stuff. You can make things sweeter or nastier. Funnily enough, I use this plugin to round things off and make things nicer. It does nasty. But it does nice so much better.
I agree ... excellent distortion unit. Ohmicide is pretty good too ... but neither is a compressor as asked for by the OP. :P

afreshcupofjoe wrote:Nonsense. You can use it on anything you want. The OP said he wanted a "squashed, strained, dirty techno percussion sound." A bit of high-end roll off goes along with the territory. It's one of the things that gives Rough Rider that particular sound-- kind of like an Alesis 3630. Those Alesis compressors strip the high end off of everything they touch, but they were used to squash drums on tons of techno records. When I think "dirty techno", NY style compression is the last thing I would want. The more the original signal gets destroyed, the better.
A "bit" of high-end roll off ? it will shave of top end from 7k or 8k ...

It WILL achieve a "squashed, strained, dirty " sound but without top end - which WAS good maybe in the 90's...

But not nowadays.
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

dlm sixtyfive, audio damage RoughRider, discoDSP nightshine, xfer records OTT, Sonalksis SV-315Mk2 and TBK-3/Uber Compressor, Abbeyroadplugins RS124 (Which I wish gets the Softube revival treatment along with all the other Abbeyroadplugins which have not yet been) and URS Phat C (Wishing for updates from Unique Recording Software also) are easy to make aggressive.
Arts Acoustic CL-Series and Herbert's VoS offerings and Vlad's Molot I can't not mention either, IK's most recent addition to T-RackS also I dig a lot for bullying source signals

Omnipressor from eventide can get wickedly aggressive with a lighting attack also. Payware and Ilok but i'm happy to wholeheartedly recommend it.

I use it for all my "heavy" duties. (it does upward as well).

For squash, Rough Rider (Pro). The Rocket is also very nice though, more versatile.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

A whole bunch of suggestions.. thanks folks! I'm trying out a few of them now.

Rough Rider was already installed and you are right, it sounds pretty cool. But as stated it cuts maybe a little too much of the high end, so for hats etc I think I'll have to do some parallell routings. Too bad the pro version doesn't feature side chain and mix knob.

Forgot to mention, I'm on mac so a couple of the suggestions won't work for me.
Bitwig

Voxengo Deft compressor is awesomely aggressive if you want it to be. Another candidate is any properly done DBX 160 emulator. That clicky/punchy attack thing can be brutal! Personally I use the Native Instruments VC160 plugin but there are several other options.. somebody mentioned dlm sixtyfive which is a great candidate.

Other less known plugins for extreme aggression is FabFilter Saturn or FabFilter Volcano. Both have some very "chunky" sounding envelope followers and can be used for compression. Volcano 2 contains many of my compressor presets and they are all more or less brutal.

Also any SSL desk channel compressor emulation done properly can be pretty nice for brutally destroying things.. oh and of course any 1176, though the maximum attack is very short so it's more of a "crush" compressor than anything else but you can make them pump like crazy with careful tweaking of the release.

And lets not forget the Elysia mPressor which can get very "breathy" and "chunky", though it always seems to remain a bit polite when it comes to the transients so it might not fit here as well as some of the others.

EDIT: and how can I forget the free and utterly awesome ReaCompressor. It too can be setup to be pretty damn aggressive!

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Effects”