StudioDevil NAMM 2014 announcement

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

StudioDevil wrote:If you like feedback, you might want to look at the Moog guitar...totally not rock and roll, I know...
The list of people who were really knocked out by it in initial proto begs to differ! :lol:

Though I will say that one of my guitars is equipped with a Sustainer - it is most certainly not as "lively" as the Moog, but it's very unique and quite fun. Hell of a lot more fun than an ebow, anyway.

At any rate - I'll be watching for news from NAMM, you're a clever one and I'm interested to see what you have up your sleeve. I hope it's not a product limited to foot level, as I had spine surgery last year and can't reach anymore... I've had to change quite a lot of my workflow, and move almost exclusively to amp modelers, but then I always had a penchant (that, I should thank you sincerely for helping along, I've got excellent use out of your software these several years, haha). Let's see what more I might have the privilege of enjoying... Don't disappoint :tu:

So, I'm clearly intrigued, but highly skeptical.

Btw, I WANT a laptop (ok, a desktop :hihi: ) to do my guitar :evil:

hibidy wrote:So, I'm clearly intrigued, but highly skeptical.

Btw, I WANT a laptop (ok, a desktop :hihi: ) to do my guitar :evil:
I think "intrigued, but highly skeptical" is the best perspective from which to approach any NAMM hype, especially pre-show teases like this (truly, a studio devil we're dealing with here... :P ) - but my read is that the amp modeling rack unit/breakout box market is not saturated, and a floor- or hands-level modeler with Dr. Marc Gallo's signature touch when it comes to triodes and related circuity bits could be quite nice, assuming it ticks all the boxes of features in my head that I personally value :lol: (hey, did you always have a PhD? Where's your dissertation, I'd love to read it!).

How about pentodes? Octal? oooh emulate a starved plate configuration or or or or a tube used as a diode next, those sound wicked in some applications (though you have to do the whole JVM preamp diode quad to get yer clipping like you like it... in the real world, anyway, but DSP is magical, so I must expect magic, Dr. Devil).

Intrigued, but skeptical. Also playful. What's life without fun, eh?

StudioDevil wrote:back to Studio Devil...yes, this new hardware will feature improvements on our already renown amp modeling algorithms...things that will improve the power amp to speaker reactive load interactions, power supply sag, feedback/damping ratio, and others to name a few...a lot of surprises in store...

but one thing won't be a surprise...it will still sound amazingly lifelike and will be just as inspiring to play through!!!

More soon!

remember to like our facebook page to keep up with announcements and pics that are forthcoming!!!
Will those improvements find their way into VST plugin form? Also, any updates on the cab front, or are these still using static impulses?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Will those improvements find their way into VST plugin form? Also, any updates on the cab front, or are these still using static impulses?
The latest Studio Devil technologies will work their way into all of our products. When new plugins get released, new technologies will be included into them, for sure...but for now, the focus is on this new, incredible product.

For cabinet modeling, we do a lot more than just static impulses...we use a combination of a high-performance impulse response convolution engine along with a new algorithm that models the behavior of the reactive load coupled interactively to the non-linear power amp model...so you will get the same dynamic characteristics as a loudspeaker cabinet does connected to a real transformer-coupled tube power amplifier.
Marc Gallo, Ph.D.
Studio Devil Virtual Tube Amplification
www.studiodevil.com
"Desire Analog...Embrace Digital!"

Agreed wrote: The list of people who were really knocked out by it in initial proto begs to differ! :lol:
Yeah, I was one of them ;)
Agreed wrote: Don't disappoint :tu:
I have made the exact opposite my personal goal a long time ago...and I don't plan to change it! :)
Marc Gallo, Ph.D.
www.studiodevil.com

hibidy wrote: Btw, I WANT a laptop (ok, a desktop :hihi: ) to do my guitar :evil:
I totally do, too...that's why I created the Amp Modeler Pro plugin and Studio Devil standalone live player 5 years ago!
;)

But now, if you ALSO want the best amp modeling brought by Studio Devil in a hardware standalone unit, the time has finally come!
Marc Gallo, Ph.D.
www.studiodevil.com

Competition is good for business. Any hints on the price yet?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

StudioDevil wrote:If you like feedback, you might want to look at the Moog guitar...totally not rock and roll, I know...but they do something interesting...they use a pair of pickups as outputs instead of just inputs...they feed some signal into the pickup...this actually moves the strings, similar to how they are moved by the vibrations coming from an actual amplified loudspeaker...then, the other pair of pickup coils picks up the string movement...and you can feed that back if you want....interesting stuff...
well, I dont have moog guitar, but Ive watched some youtube demos of it and to me it doesnt sound as a natural guitar feedback at all...its sounds similar to a fernandes sustainer - very predictable and even boring when used for a longer time period...natural feedback - on the other side - is completely random, wild and unpredictable: with natural feedback if you change the position of your guitar towards speaker even slightly you can obtain dramatically different feedback sound /harmonically different/ depending on the used type of guitar and fret position...AFAIK similar natural effect you can obtain only with guitar resonator...
StudioDevil wrote: as far as a software feedbacker, I've played with that before and had some promising results...maybe one day I will perfect it...involves modeling the strings...the trick is how to determine how the "modeled" strings should be fretted by the source input...that's the difficult part...
I like to see somebody care about this nice effect and good luck with it, but I simply dont believe much about possibility of emulating this effect completely in software - simply because of its random nature I have described above...but I still believe that something more predictable - similar to a moog guitar or fernandes sustainer - can be done well in the future... :wink:

kvaca wrote:with natural feedback if you change the position of your guitar towards speaker even slightly you can obtain dramatically different feedback sound /harmonically different/ depending on the used type of guitar and fret position...AFAIK similar natural effect you can obtain only with guitar resonator...
I totally agree...your earlier link to the Vibesware was really the right tool for that:
http://www.vibesware.com/

Impressive effect!
Marc Gallo, Ph.D.
www.studiodevil.com

IIRC you mentioned something about MTP update ?...
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

My interest is piqued Marc :)

All the best to all as always :tu:

Dean

Dean Aka Nekro wrote:My interest is piqued Marc :)

All the best to all as always :tu:

Dean
thanks! :tu:
Marc Gallo, Ph.D.
www.studiodevil.com

Tp3 wrote:IIRC you mentioned something about MTP update ?...
you mean VTP update? yes, there is one planned for release early this year...a two-stage design as a free update to all users of VTP.

AAX is also coming this year as well...a lot of good things happening here at Studio Devil!
Marc Gallo, Ph.D.
www.studiodevil.com

Return to “Effects”