Equavescent equalizer release

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So no more guessing at the audio files I posted? Ok..

X = Equavescent low shelf

Y = DMG Audio Equilibrium, tried to null by ear. Could have used a bit more time with the nulling but it's around -30dBFS

I provided the original file so you can all try it yourself.. those of you lucky enough to not have Equavescent crash all the time. Anyhow, here are a few more pictures of the various shapes of the shelves. Like I said, some of them are very strange and interesting. Stuff you just couldn't do in the analogue domain, at all.

"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Thanks for the pics bmanic.
There are really some unusual shapes in it.
(Not sure I'd like them though. I already experimented with hard edged shapes long ago and came to the conclusion, that symmetric and smooth "standard" curves [be it 1st or higher order] really feel most natural to me.)

Have you checked, if there are any nonlinearities?

Nokenoku wrote:Have you checked, if there are any nonlinearities?
Equavescent™ is linear.

Equavescent™ incorporates faster acting linear elements than cos and sin components.

Equavescent™ does not have micro modulations as the curves reach their frequency response.

Test it on raw unequalized files for maximum effect. Equavescent™ runs smoothly for me on Logic Pro X on OS X Mavericks 10.9.1.

Kind regards
lbarratt
http://www.barrattaudio.com

I dont know any other EQ plugin on the planet/be it with asymetrical or symetrical curves/ which takes 2 weeks to generate FIRs PLUS 2 days to download and install these FIRs PLUS 2 seconds to crash all my DAWs...
omg :hyper: :o :lol:

I want to add that Equavescent is not only linear, Equavescent is also super fast and Equavescent super crazy awesome... but most importantly

Equavescent is also TRADEMARKED

p.s. sorry for my comment I just could not resist. I understand the developer has put a lot of time and energy into this and I wish him all the best.

LBarratt wrote:Equavescent™ is linear.
Oh good, so then outside of IR design it's not doing anything special. So then do tell us how it "does not break down well into traditional FFT components"? You have no idea don't you?
LBarratt wrote:Equavescent™ incorporates faster acting linear elements than cos and sin components.
haha what?? It's gibberish, that doesn't make any sense, "cos and sin components" have nothing to do with anything, it probably comes from your flimsy understanding of what a Fourier transform is all about. "Faster acting"? What is this, a commercial for Alka-Seltzer?
LBarratt wrote:Equavescent™ does not have micro modulations as the curves reach their frequency response.
Micro modulations? You mean ripples? Wow congratulations, you've mastered Windowing Technology™ of FIR design 101.

Maybe people would take you more seriously if you could talk straight and not write every message in the style of a bad press release. Your EQ may not be devoid of faults but right now what you need to fix the most is how you communicate about it. Just my two cents, I can tell you that users prefer talking to a normal person than an obscure jargon-spouting PR machine. Your EQ has enough qualities (as in people really like how it sounds) that you can afford to talk honestly about it.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

A_SN wrote:"Faster acting"?
my guess is he probably meant less cycles per operation. SSE? :-D
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

LBarratt wrote:Equavescent™ incorporates faster acting linear elements than cos and sin components.

Equavescent™ does not have micro modulations as the curves reach their frequency response.
If you want people to take you serious, you should really stop putting out phrases, which make no sense.
It gives the impression, that you don't know, what you're talking about.

This all looks a bit like a joke to me ... with all this "TM", "2 weeks for an IR" and "my convolution is better than FFT".

So far, what I know about this plugin:
- 1GB big
- only special thing are the curve-forms
- instable and wasting ressources
- dev doesn't seem to know a lot about digital signal processing
- IRs are calculated over 2 weeks, but dev is not able to explain, what's the great idea/concept behind this.

The reason for some of this nonsense could be that the developer is simply not fluent in English.
www.montrealserai.com
Montreal Serai-featuring diverse arts; poems; essays, cinema & music reviews, coverage of alternative media

Nokenoku wrote: So far, what I know about this plugin:
- 1GB big
- only special thing are the curve-forms
- instable and wasting ressources
- dev doesn't seem to know a lot about digital signal processing
- IRs are calculated over 2 weeks, but dev is not able to explain, what's the great idea/concept behind this.
+ impossible to install properly according to given manual /at least on XP 32bit/
+ crashing or freezing any DAWs anytime

I come back when usable demo is released... :?

bmanic wrote: X = Equavescent low shelf
Y = DMG Audio Equilibrium, tried to null by ear. Could have used a bit more time with the nulling but it's around -30dBFS
what a surprise...I prefered X, so it seems that Equilibrium is definitely not as transparent as I have expected /at least in this particular case/, but to me still X sample sounds like any other common LP EQ I know... :shrug:

another question - are you sure that these asymetric curves cannot be nailed much better? /f.i.by means of IRs-FFT convolution?/...if I have a working demo I would test it myself

These curves can be replicated using voxengo curve EQ.

A_SN wrote:
LBarratt wrote:Equavescent™ does not have micro modulations as the curves reach their frequency response.
Micro modulations? You mean ripples? Wow congratulations, you've mastered Windowing Technology™ of FIR design 101.
Just going to stop you there. Obviously we agree on everything else, but I'll bet you a glass of your tipple of choice that these aren't windowed, but that these curves are the output from a Parks-Mclellan / Remez type strategy.
My hunch is that there's a specification in the form of passband/stopband ripple and a transition frequency.

As we know, Parks Mclellan is a strategy for when you really need a short IR to meet a spec, and nowadays, you'd just double the IR length and window, and have a better result for it. But if OP didn't know that, he might be tempted to precompute thousands of IRs with p/mc and store them in a big file. That file would be huge though. Like, about a gigabyte!

Anyway, tl;dr: someone here made SplineEQ, and anyone with a copy can replicate these curves in a heartbeat by just matching up the curves from those graphs.

Dave.
Last edited by DaveGamble on Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[ DMGAudio ] | [ DMGAudio Blog ] | dave AT dmgaudio DOT com

kvaca wrote:
bmanic wrote: X = Equavescent low shelf
what a surprise...I prefered X, so it seems that Equilibrium is definitely not as transparent as I have expected /at least in this particular case/, but to me still X sample sounds like any other common LP EQ I know... :shrug:
Sorry to clarify excessively, but this isn't any kind of demonstration of transparency; this is comparing EQuilibrium being used to match an extremely non-traditional curve shape. I don't mean to imply that you didn't know that; just wanted to add this to clarify your wording for other readers.
[ DMGAudio ] | [ DMGAudio Blog ] | dave AT dmgaudio DOT com

sunny_j wrote:These curves can be replicated using voxengo curve EQ.
Or Fruity Convolver probably (can't load it in the VSTPluginAnalyser as it's not a VST).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tapehead wrote:The reason for some of this nonsense could be that the developer is simply not fluent in English.
Apparently he's Australian...
DaveGamble wrote:Just going to stop you there. Obviously we agree on everything else, but I'll bet you a glass of your tipple of choice that these aren't windowed, but that these curves are the output from a Parks-Mclellan / Remez type strategy.
My hunch is that there's a specification in the form of passband/stopband ripple and a transition frequency.

As we know, Parks Mclellan is a strategy for when you really need a short IR to meet a spec, and nowadays, you'd just double the IR length and window, and have a better result for it. But if OP didn't know that, he might be tempted to precompute thousands of IRs with p/mc and store them in a big file. That file would be huge though. Like, about a gigabyte!
Nice, I guess that explains the whole 1 GB of IRs thing. I'm a bit out of my depth here wrt what you just described, never heard of it before, I'm actually kind of a casual when it comes to EQ stuff (I don't even understand how recursive filters work. really.), textbook LP FIR design is all I really get :D.

It's good to not be the most qualified person in the thread to explain things anymore, so now I can ask questions instead of speculating ;). Do you think what people like about this EQ's sound just has to do with the unusual curves and that you can get the same results with any other EQ that can reproduce those curves (or what about the phase response?) ? And if so do you have any idea what's so great about those types of curves?
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Return to “Effects”