VOS + TDL + VLADG = SlickEQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR VOS SlickEQ TDR VOS SlickEQ GE

Thank you Herbert, Vladislav and Fabien!

This EQ is really cool. At a second glance I realized the highlights of this EQ: You can drive the pure stereo-difference - and you can add "a subtle warming" at the output stage.

Great! :wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Turello wrote:the HP filter needs to be improved (cut at 80hz an acoustic guitar but I think he cut a 140! same in the electric bass)
I still have Beta 0.4 but I can not confirm what you say.

The LC or HP respectively is a 2nd (or 3rd? Don't have the manual at hand, looks 3rd order to me) order Butterworth filter, and at 80Hz, it definitely doesn't cup up until 140Hz. Maybe due to the knee, but the important stuff is still around 80Hz. If it'd be 1st or 2nd Order, then 80Hz would start to "roll off" higher.

The LC is not(!) altered by the models btw. And I don't think it is necessary to go for yet another "emulation" - just because you feel more "happy" with it. The LC is fine IMO. If you're unsure what this plugin does, give it a spin with a suitable analysing tool.

Maybe you misinterpret the HighPass/LowCut (which is the same) with the low frequency band "shelf". And on that behalf, I really recommend you to take to look into the manual what model does what.

80Hz shelf (!) at the low frequency is indeed more broad. But this is simply the character of this EQ mode. You wouldn't have control over this with a hardware module with fixed Q of the low shelf either.

:!: :!: :!: A WARNING TO STEINBERG USERS:
I had an eye on the VST3 versions during beta stage. Unfortunately I did not get a version prior to release - and I can't test v1.0 until later tonight. The last one was considered "Release Candidate"; but it still had issues with Cubase and Wavelab respectively. Drastic ones even.

As of this moment, I can not(!) recommend to use the VST3 version - especially not with Wavelab. Here the infamous "Audio Forward Bug" is happening - which results in the plugin processing in realtime, but not while rendering. Presets were also not recalled on host reload. Fabien told me that this issue can't be fixed for the time being - the team sticked to the VST SDK during development as if there isn't anything else. I agree with the statement, that if the host doesn't support their own standard correctly, it's definitely not the fault of the developer.

The "Audio Forward Bug" is a severe issue, known to Steinberg and the Wavelab division (since WL7 actually through the SDK mailing list) - Klanghelm, Slate Digital, Eiosis and now even iZotope suffer from this problem. These are at least the developers I know about. I try to get in touch with Steinberg again about this prior to WL8.5 - but I can't give any guarantee. So far the issue is considered "a fault by the developers", and not a bug within the host. At least Steinberg doesn't seem to find it. The VST2 version does work fine for the time being - unless you start to work in WL 32bit, and then switch to WL 64bit. If you do that, the plugin(s) simply vanish(es) from your master rack.

My last status in terms of Cubase 7.0/7.5 (32/64bit) was, that if you have both the VST2 and VST3 version is installed, only the VST3 version is found by the host. Furthermore, the VST3 version had a GUI issue where the values reset to absolute minimum if you dragged the parameters with a mouse; mouse wheel control worked fine however. The GUI also wasn't also recalled if you used a preset in the first place, then altered it slightly - at least on the summing bus. I don't know if this could be fixed prior to release. The VST2 version was yet again working pretty much flawlessly.

SUMMARY:
I can not(!) recommend to use the VST3 version with either Cubendo or Wavelab at this point. This is not(!) an issue by TDL/VoS - they would need to add workarounds just to get the VST3 versions to work properly in Cubendo/Wavelab.

I'll try to take a dive into v1.x this weekend and see if I can re-confirm the one or another just mentioned issue. Wavelab is a completely different issue however.
Last edited by Compyfox on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

read the manual and solved the problem but as Tricky said the EQ models are very subtle and also the presets (seems almost all the same!), but of course I could be wrong...
the Four output stages, autogain and Stereo and sum/difference processing options are useful
not'd never use for mixdown
in my opinion is more than an equalizer for individual tracks and even suggest to develope other preset for individual instruments (bass, cello, piano etc etc)

Turn off AUTO Gain and you should hear the difference more clearly.

Else, yes, it's more of a general sound shaper than a surgical tool.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I have to say that I really enjoyed working with the SSL channel Comps inside Reason BECAUSE of the automakeup gain feature. What a timesaver for easy & standard compression tasks and instant results. Set & forget.

But your Autogain EQ is like having GOD MODE enabled!!! Tbh I would not keep it enabled all the time because sometimes I like to have a more audible bump or cut but sweeping through frequencies even with a 1dB boost and Auto gain enabled is so mofo cool. :D

An amazing plug in. And the whole design is so friendly and clear. The help function is really great. Your info window very informative. And I like the knob behaviour. Already loved it on the TDRFCII. Very responsive and exactly my cup of tea.

Edit: even more wow: a clipping indicator. :D Me likes that.

Kudos to the whole team.

Regards
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Fantastic EQ, and love the autogain feature. Would love to see more plugins from this collaboration!

This EQ rocks!!!
[Insert Signature Here]

Turello wrote:in my opinion is more than an equalizer for individual tracks and even suggest to develope other preset for individual instruments (bass, cello, piano etc etc)
IMO, presets for an equalizer are pretty useless, anyway. When I use an EQ, I experiment with it until the sound is right. I don't need any presets.

Every piano sounds different, and then it depends on the notes/chords, too, so if there were presets for piano, in many cases they would be quite useless...

True but I am an "indisciplined" engineer so i use it as a starting point! :-P

This one is great. I love the "modes" and the layout. And the lack of analyzer/freq.dislay/Q drive me more into "listening" mode over "overthinking" mode which is what I need=)
Though if devs are open for suggestions, why not add low-pass? But that's just a tiny thing. I have no problem adding another EQ just for low-pass.

Awesome EQ!!!

I'm sure a lot of big name companies must be angry right now!

Can't believe this is free!!!

THANK YOU, YOU'RE AWESOME!!!!

:hail: :hug: :wheee:
Last edited by xx JPRacer xx on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Low pass is not a bad idea at all, Meleco_go. But definitely not 3-pole. :D 1-pole or 2-pole.

Presets for EQ? Do you have a preset for your car to drive you around? :D EQ doesn't need presets. If you do need them then make them yourself. I must admit that sometimes it is good to have a good starting point readily available. That goes for compressors, too. But there's no way they would work without any tweaking for every source.

Man this EQ sounds smooth. In my opinion you've just showed a finger to the 90% of all the VST EQs out there. Yes, the very expensive ones, too. I won't name them, they know who they are. :) Only DMG Audio EQuality can compare IMHO and interestingly enough its "analog" mode also suffers from latency issues. It would be nice to have an EQ like this but without such big latency, however if it's necessary - hey it is necessary. Maybe some future DSP guru will find a better way to achieve that. This is not a rant at all, just dreaming and speculating. ;)

Cheers!

p.s. gosh, I've just seen a recent documentary on quantum computing... the future is really bright when it comes to computing. Hopefully there will be some humanity left to take advantage of it. :hihi:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Today worked with SlickEQ on singles drums of EZdrummer in multiout... For Master I'm not feel sure so continue to work with Sonnox Native EQ... :-)

Q control at least on the mid band would be nice.... :scared:

Maybe that's not possible with this implementation.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

DuX wrote:Low pass is not a bad idea at all, Meleco_go. But definitely not 3-pole. :D 1-pole or 2-pole.
Yeah, if they add a low-pass, I'd like to have it 12dB/oct.

Return to “Effects”