Exponential Audio R2 and Phoenix Verb questions...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Michael Carnes wrote: What are you using for a DAW now?
I'm using Studio One just for music doodling, and sometimes I dust off Protools 9. Can't afford an HD system, so I may move to DP8. I'm an independent artist but I'm interested in working with surround for installations. (i.e., I have no idea what I'm doing right now.) :) But what I do know is that I'll be working a lot with dialog.

By the way, the recent videos you posted were fantastic, and Phoenix Verb is at the top of the want list now.

Studio One is a nice little DAW, and my surround verbs will run nicely in stereo mode there. I've been a big fan of DP for many years, but they come up a little short in terms of surround. I do think that PT11 native is the most powerful option, but Cubase and Nuendo both have very strong surround support.

Okay thanks. Seems like there's a lot to take in. I'll take another look at Cubase. Nice to know that the Surround Reverbs can grow with me if I decide to jump on the sale now.

Michael Carnes wrote:
sqigls wrote:Nobody answered my request for a new Phoenix demo, but I bit the bullet and got both.
I'm really sorry I didn't see your request. I'd have been happy to fix you up. I was traveling for a few days, juggling laptop and iPhone and I must have dropped the ball somewhere along the way. Thanks for showing enough faith to go ahead with the purchase. I'll try to figure out where I messed up and get that fixed up.
Best $314.30 I ever spent!
I wish you would offer the 'hard drive' iLok activation method though. Makes it impossible to include EA verbs in my track ideas while I'm traveling and juggling the laptop.

I've replaced the Lex Vintage Plate with R2 and getting even lusher dub tails, and Phoenix has actually blown me away. Every other verb sounds like an effect now. It was your evil plan wasn't it!!!? The old "ignore the pre-sales support letter and make `em sweat to the tune of $314.30" trick…

:P

Hi Michael,

hope this is an appropriate thread to ask you for sth. that bugs me now for weeks :-)

Is there any way of setting the "Processor Threshold" in both Phoenix and R2 to -120db per default? I spend quite some time going through those settings every time I have to reload a project. Other than that everything works rock solid!

Cheers lb

Requests are usually better through the support form on the website, but I monitor threads as best I can. Right now there's no way to set the threshold default. I'll put it on my list of things to consider (actually I just did), but it's probably going to be a while before I'm able to look at it.

But let me ask you if you really need a default as low as -120. The truth is that the threshold of -108 doesn't shut the verb off until 6dB below that (it's something call hysteresis, to keep a system from thrashing). And given that reverb--at least the way I use it--is usually 12-20 dB below dry signal. That means that the reverb tails in the mix will still go down to -126 or so. If that part of the mix is below full-scale, it's quieter still. I'm running in a calibrated room and I really can't hear down that far.

Thank you very much for replying here! I will go the support-route further on.

Great products!!! Super nice developer. Can't get any better than this. :-))

pm sent.

Hi Michael and anybody who can answer,

Regarding PhoenixVerb, I want to say that I really like the overall design now better than the original GUI but I really miss the color scheme. I love the sound of this plugin and the layout and functionality are so stellar that its hard to imagine how much more improved it can be. However, I just don't like the color scheme on the new version. Is it possible to use change the skin to a different color?

If not, I wonder what the last release was before the colors changed from white/gray to blue. I hope that there is an option to change the color of the GUI going forward. That would be cool. For now, I think I'd like to revert back to the last white/gray version. In any case, they all sound great.

Michael is the man. A truly gentleman and KVRian :tu:

Hi,
Sorry you miss the old color scheme. I'm afraid it's gone, gone, gone. The GUI uses vector drawing now, which means that re-skinning just isn't in the cards. Most programs that allow alternate skins have simple graphics that can be replaced. Vector graphics means that things are drawn on the fly. That improves scaleability and also reduces the size of the installer. At this point I'd rather keep a focus on new presets and new features (VST3 is in beta along with a new ability to import/export user presets), so I just don't see that I'll be getting around to customizable looks.

But I do have to say that the graphics never went from white/gray to blue. They went from a hideous yellow to a sort of steel blue/gray. That happened right around the beginning of 2014. So I wonder if you've changed your monitor or if there's some reason your color calibration has gone off. I do all my design on well-calibrated monitors, so I know exactly what I'm getting. But I see all sorts of variance out in the world.

Ok. If that's the case, no worries Michael. I appreciate your honesty and perspective. Still like the old colors. Maybe I'll revert back to an old version but nothing big wonderful things to say about this baby!

(not to be taken too seriously ;) )...
Michael Carnes wrote: They went from a hideous yellow to a sort of steel blue/gray.
Did you know it was a hideous yellow when you first implemented it? :P
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

>>Did you know it was a hideous yellow when you first implemented it?

No, but I was 'informed' about it.

I liked the old colors just fine, but I like the new colors better.

Return to “Effects”