Best free limiter VST?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Maxwell Smart TLs Pocket Limiter

aMUSEd wrote:I like Barricade - however I am also wondering about this in the same price range:

http://www.overtonedsp.co.uk/download/d ... index.html

I honestly had no idea these were so cheap - the whole bundle is just £30!
Although I like their Pultec emulations, I didn't like the limiter. Not so intuitive, and the signal can easily go over 0 dB, so you need another limiter afterwards to tame the peaks. Or am I missing something? :?

Edit:
Works just fine as a compressor, I wouldn't use it in any limiting situation.
It's easy if you know how

Eddie TX wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:I like Barricade - however I am also wondering about this in the same price range:

The OverTone plugins are a terrific value, but I don't think you'd want to use the FC70 as a brickwall limiter. It's a model of the classic Fairchild compressor. Very different tool than Barricade and the like, but great for various compression tasks.

Cheers,
Eddie
Oh it says it's a limiter - I get confused by the terminology for these things!

I actually relate to that. I'm not sure I'm an "expert" on this but I used to think emu's of those types of compressors meant BW limiting. It's a completely different thing (I'll let someone better than me at this describe it)

codec_spurt wrote:Does anyone have experience of using it with just the Clipper in isolation? (Limiter 6 I am talking about)
Yes, it's a better clipper than Gclip. I find that it retains the perceptive sound of the original signal (that is lost at the same gain reduction levels) - the transients - in a better way than Gclip. Having said that I'm only ever using a clipper for perhaps 2 dB of GR so they're both good. Gclip's cpu hit is much less than Limiter No6 (uses around 10% of what L6 does iirc).

As for people saying about Limiter No6's complexity - think of it as 5 plugins in one rather than a mesmerising amount of controls on one interface. Compressor - Limiter - High frequency Limiter - Clipper - Final output section. Just turn off the parts you don't need and deal with the bits you do. If you take the plugin as a whole it's an excellent loudness tool but if you take the individual parts and compare them to other plugins that do the same job it's not quite so head and shoulders above the rest imo. I personally don't find the compressor especially good nor the limiter but the clipper is definitely the best free one out there. I also use the output section for intersample peak protection. Having said that, occasionally the limiter wins out over others on certain material. I always compare a few different limiters when I'm mastering.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Hmmm... I'm going to have to put in some more time with Limiter no. 6. I've been mostly using Ozone 4, but I might have to re-organize my mastering chain to fit in Limiter no. 6 instead. It really sounds great, and it seems to have a lot more options than any other limiter I've used. Although there are only 3 speed settings... so maybe not for all purposes?

I've been using Molot for a compressor a lot, and I really like its warm sound.

do_androids_dream wrote:...the clipper is definitely the best free one out there
Funny, that's what I was thinking, exactly. I use serp2/3 module (the forefather of Lno6's clipper module) quite a lot.
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

codec_spurt wrote:This bundle includes the mighty Red Phatt Pro, a most awesome compressor.
Because we were talking about it I dl'ed it again and had another play with it... and I still didn't get on with it lol! It has a very modern sound - kind of the opposite of a 'vintage' sound. Very slammy and 'flat' sounding as opposed to '3D'. I guess this translates as the fact that it doesn't seem to do things that I like to the 'air' say in an overhead mic signal - almost seems to suck out the perception of space rather than give it a hyped and exaggerated 'bloom'. Very versatile though especially with the second ratio control - can effectively be a gate, an upwards expander and anything in-between. I rekindled my love for the old PC2 compressor though (in 'complex' mode). Has a special something that will find a place in my toolkit. In regular mode it's somewhat similar to the sound of red phatt.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I just tried this and I am impressed, great freebie!
I might actually replace my beloved Pocket limiter with this one :)

http://www.kvraudio.com//product/maxwel ... vely-audio
It's easy if you know how

Just updated to new version 1.14
Release notes v1.14:
New control: Fader link. Output fader will be coupled to threshold fader. Klick on "Link".
Improved limiter algorithm. Internal parameters optimized.
Audio Unit: Symbiosis updated to v1.3
Fix compatibility with Final Cut Pro X.

http://loudmax.blogspot.com/

Last edited by xtrax on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LimiterNo6 - the one and only, the mighty one. I tried a few commercials and lots of free but I always come back to this one. The only one I trust in "what I hear is what I got".

And an awesome soundshaping tool.

Regards
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

aMUSEd wrote:
Eddie TX wrote:

The OverTone plugins are a terrific value, but I don't think you'd want to use the FC70 as a brickwall limiter. It's a model of the classic Fairchild compressor. Very different tool than Barricade and the like, but great for various compression tasks.

Cheers,
Eddie
If I get the whole Fairchild stuff right than it is actually a leveling amplifier which can do both: compression and/or limiting. Eg the IKM 670 has two screws (L/R or M/S) in the lower left corner which can be turned clockwise/counter clockwise to change the behaviour to either limiting or compression (or a mix bewteen).

But for a pure brickwall limiter and especially with todays alternatives for brickwall limiting a Fairchild clone would be suboptimal.

Regards
Sebastian
Last edited by Halma on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

aMUSEd wrote:
Eddie TX wrote:

Cheers,
Eddie
Well, it was a limiter in its day, but not a Brick Wall Limiter as we have come to expect.

The FC70 is excellent. It is a really good Fairchild clone. Never had a real one, but then again, who did? It compares very well with the Antress one which is the best by far by none that I have tried - see my past posts or stuff on youtube. It does something to that transient of a snare or a vocal that nothing else can do. It is magic.

As for the Barricade plugin. You can get the old version for nothing from the link I provided earlier. Or hit me up if you can't find it. I'm sure Jeroen is listening and he could stop it if he wanted. He just has to say. However, I pretty much can guarantee if you try this you won't just end up buying it, you will end up buying his whole plugin suite. More and more I am using them. He keeps them up to date and tweaks the UI as well. He's quite the little part time GUI designer.

His EQ is about all I'll ever need with its built in analyser. For silly money. The great thing about Barricade is the metering. It uses (I assume) the same 'industry standard' gubbins that EBU Loudness does. This is all pretty much free anyway in the bundle as long as you don't want to keep presets for later.

Oh, I just found the Antress plugin that does a sweet emu of the Fairchild:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5370070

-----------------
Here is a list of what .dll corresponds to what 'homage'. Obviously they aren't 'clones'. All trademarks and copyrights are property of their respective owners.

Daking -

ModernVTME

DBX160 -

ModerndbME160
ModernVDME

Distressor -

ModernDeathcore
ModernVHME

Fairchild 660 -

ModernFireChainer

Fairchild 670 -

ModernVFME

Manley Vari-Mu -

ModernVRME

SSL G384 -

ModernApophis

Teletronix LA-2A -

ModernLA-2ME
ModernLostAngel
ModernPainKiller
ModernVLME

Thermionic Culture Phoenix -

ModernPoloKiller
ModernVPME
Tubetech
ModernVCME

Urei 1176LN -

ModernSeventhSign
ModernVSME
ModernDynaKiller
Modern1176ME

Feel free to correct me if I got any wrong. Some you'll have to track down, they aren't easy to find. Some will be incompatible with your OS. Some won't be very good. Others are outstanding.

ModernDynaKiller can work as a 0 latency limiter btw, and has its own charm.
---------------------------------

ModernVFME - is the one you want, then. It will take you ages to track down, so just go here:
http://www.gersic.com/plugins/hosted/antress/

It's in there amongst the rubble.

It seems I'm in the minority, but I love Terry West's "MHorse P3" ;) More of a mastering plugin than just a limiter, although it does that as well and IMO very well ;) Terry used to have a very nice & transparent brick limiter ("SafeLimit") on his website but for some reason I can't find it anymore...
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

Modern FireChainer is the Fairchild 660 - you can dl that from here:

http://antress.blogspot.co.uk/

do_androids_dream wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:Does anyone have experience of using it with just the Clipper in isolation? (Limiter 6 I am talking about)
Yes, it's a better clipper than Gclip. I find that it retains the perceptive sound of the original signal (that is lost at the same gain reduction levels) - the transients - in a better way than Gclip. Having said that I'm only ever using a clipper for perhaps 2 dB of GR so they're both good. Gclip's cpu hit is much less than Limiter No6 (uses around 10% of what L6 does iirc).
Thanks. That makes sense. It is pretty easy to get distortion when you go past a certain limit with GClip. I would say use GClip for light duties and it will be perfect. Then again as you say 2dB or so of GR is enough in a lot of cases. I know that I have used about 6dB of GR with GClip and no problems. But that is on Drum transient stuff, not on bass heavy program material. It is a clipper! And it clips very well!

I'm definitely going to play about with Limiter 6 now. In between playing about with a bit of Clip Shifter.

Gonna try to learn what that 'Clip' module does in Elephant 3 as well. Having the display is what makes GClip the work of genius it is. ClipShifter too.

Return to “Effects”