Tilt EQ options: Boz T-bone vs SlickEQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is that aliasing on the EQF? What happens if you run at 192 S/s?

robertszalapski wrote:Is that aliasing on the EQF? What happens if you run at 192 S/s?
Here is 192Khz sampling rate. It looks it is..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Okay, yeah, some of that is aliasing. It also just seems to have more high-order distortion than TBone. TBone probably sounds smoother or thicker while the other probably sounds brighter or more aggressive.

Been looking for a quick tilt eq. Very nice workflow with Boz's. Another T-Bone sold :)

Went with T-Bone and enjoying it thus far. Also enjoy that it doesn't need ilok and its authorized to run on all computers I own. Makes it great for someone like me who runs a mac desktop, PC sample slave, and macbook pro on occasion.
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

I'm late to the game, but...
robertszalapski wrote:The tilts are apparently pretty different. T-Bone is a lot lighter weight, too. IOW, Slick has more features, but CPU hit is higher and there's a bit of delay. T-Bone is great for tracking.
As beta tester of this plugin (SlickEQ free and GE) on one of the most resources hungry (and funked up ASIO engine) host on the market today, I can't confirm a huge CPU load - only ASIO load (which is not the fault of the plugin). Though yes, it has fixed latency of several ms. This is due to the internal OS for both the filters and the saturation modes.

Else, this Tilt is NOT made for drastic tilting, since it's only capable of like 6dB, and no strong tilt curves either.

bitman wrote:TAL-USE (Ultra Simple EQ) is free and is just a tilter and a good one too.

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/downl ... e/TAL-USE/
Keep in mind that TAL USEq (formerly known as TILT, before they changed the name, since Tonelux didn't like another EQ being named "Tilt") is 32bit only. And also not further supported anymore:
http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-effects

And I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the actual clone of the original hardware where this "tilt concept" kind of originated from: The Tonelux Tilt
http://www.softube.com/index.php?id=tilt

Sonimus Sweettone is pretty much porting the same thing.

And looking at how many Tilt EQ's exist these days, and when they all originated, it makes me wonder who "jumped on the bandwagon" and who not. Because before the flood, nobody even cared. Same with Baxendall type EQs.

Then again... I am wondering why you would "need" a Tilt EQ in the first place. It's not like you need it on every track. It's a broad tool, more suited for general sound shaping (group channels) or help fixing certain issues after mixing or during the mastering stages.

On that behalf, SlickEQ is the most versatile of all. Because you can EQ and(!) Tilt at the same time. Don't believe me, set up some basic EQ work for the channel, analyze the plot (with the new plot function), now mess with the Tilt Controls, analyze the plot again. You get both, not either of the two.

valerian_777 wrote:I will pass on the Gentlemen's Edition and stay with the free version: I simply can't justify to pay €30 for a few addional features. Otherwise it's a great Plugin. $25 which means something around 18-19€ for T-Bone is phantastic!
Well... with the GE you not only get an additional(!) filter section (Tilt, LP/HP!), but you also get a couple of more saturation modules for the output stage (two to be precise), a 4th EQ mode (Japanese) and a "plot mode" to actually see what the EQ is doing (you don't need VSTPluginAnalyzer for that anymore). The beta testing also took attention to detail so that pretty much all hosts work right from the start (with the findings in there, being ported over to make the free version even more compatible to hosts). And it's available in AAX as well!

So I'd say... 30bucks are absolutely fair and clocks in at prices like Klanghelm, Hornet Audio and DDMF. Though I do understand that "30bucks" are steep if you get a full fledged EQ like the SlickEQ free edition already. Maybe TDL/VoS should do it like Klanghelm... only ONE EQ or ONE Compressor mode as appetizer. Maybe then people wouldn't b*tch at them for asking money for their development time, but rather pour some verbal fall outs as to "why" these free versions are not as full fledged?

Several sides to a medal, people. :tu:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Tp3 wrote:This plug should be labeled "WARNING ! CONVEX INTERFACE AHEAD ! wear your 3D glasses and pray for the best..." :roll:

Miller makes really good plugs... but the 3D thing is just :uhuhuh: :uhuhuh:
The T-Bone?

Yes, that GUI is a crime - I think it's meant to be used together with Polyana.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

aMUSEd wrote:Good review - this was interesting though:
While not a huge deal, all knobs conform to the Kyoto Brando Consortum of 2012 which states that all knobs should have a fine-tune ability when holding Control.
I can't believe there has been some 'consortium' of presumed experts on knob design that has set a 'standard' to do the worst knob design possible - I hate it when you can only fine tune a knob by holding control (or shift) - that is fine for the people who work with samples and finished recordings, but for players like me it means you end up with no hands free to play notes with making it very hard to fine tune while playing. Less of an issue with an eq perhaps but a pain when designing sounds. The way it should work is to have rings in the knob like FabFilter used to, if you mouse on the knob itself you get course control, if you mouse on the ring you get fine control.

er.... why not just get a mouse that has additional (programmable) buttons? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Is Boz T-Bone the lowest latency? SlickEQ is near 200 samples

Seriously? With 44kHz, we have a mathematical 4,53ms at 44kHz and 4,12ms at 48khz, 2,72ms at 88kHz and if I have the manual in my head, then the latency is gone from 96kHz and onward.

It might not be possible to be used while tracking. But it's still a barely noticeable latency (if none at all) with:
a) PDC
b) you track it with this EQ and then pull it back

I'm sure you have a higher latency with your ADC while recording (since you didn't configure the input delay) than with this plugin.

I ask once more... why do you need a TILT EQ during tracking?
I'd like to keep an open mind, so I'd like to know that.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:I ask once more... why do you need a TILT EQ during tracking?
I thought that If you’re not a fan of surgical EQ and want a quick fix ("“warming up or cooling off”) when mixing tracks they come in handy.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

We still talk about mixing in this case, no?

Are you on ProTools? Because IIRC, PT still has a massive issue with PDC unless you use third party tools. Else, pretty much EVERY host these days uses PDC. So latency is only an issue if you track several tracks in real time and also use "true tape return".

TDL/VoS clearly stated themselves that this EQ is not made for tracking, but mixing.
Else... I really don't get all the fuzz.

Compyfox wrote:
I ask once more... why do you need a TILT EQ during tracking?
it might be that you record (say) some guitar for a song - then you start mixing this song and in the process add the tilt eq to the guitar track - then days, weeks or month later you decide to record more guitar on this same track - maybe the recording wasn't good enough (maybe it was just considered a rough track from the get go) , maybe you changed the arrangement and now need to record a new part - or whatever...

maybe you forgot in the meantime that the tilt eq is on the track so you won't think of disabling it - maybe you kind of notice the latency but it's not so obvious that you check what's going on - maybe this will kind of f**k your new recording up

Something like this happened more that just once to me, so I usually try to avoid plugins which introduce latency,

No ProTools. I use S1 and FL and Cubase.I misunderstood tracking with mixing because I don't even thought a second about that somebody would use this in realtime while recording.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

jens wrote:Something like this happened more that just once to me, so I usually try to avoid plugins which introduce latency,
Then where is the problem to simply deactivate it or nudge the track once you realized this? Instead of wasting a good take, I'd go this round to be honest.

Also... a lot of plugins introduce latency. Guitar Amps or Cabinets included. And most of the time, you can work around it.

Then again, my 2c.

Return to “Effects”