whats special about uhbik?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote:Satin was never intended to be a part of Uhbik.

Cautious? Why the hell for?
Unfulfilled promises?

I meant (a little) cautious with the company, not the plug-ins.

I do like U-He's transparency, just not always what I see or don't see.

They seem to be a unique company compared to others.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have to say that I'm overall satisfied with our two purchases at what we paid, also given that they are never discounted new after introductions (like DMG).

I stand corrected regarding Satin, and Urs did add at least one Uhbik: G, maybe?

They seem like decent folk, too.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

Urs said a number of times that a plugin like Uhbik-X would be a huge undertaking. He didn't say that it won't ever happen, but he also didn't specify WHEN it will happen for sure. So I wouldn't take that as an unfulfilled promise.

EvilDragon wrote:Urs said a number of times that a plugin like Uhbik-X would be a huge undertaking. He didn't say that it won't ever happen, but he also didn't specify WHEN it will happen for sure. So I wouldn't take that as an unfulfilled promise.
OK, I guess.

I just caught up on a little Uhbik history... forgot we're going back over five years.

We bought in at $99 in late 2008, which was supposed to be half of the eventual price that it's never made it to ($149 now).

Maybe it'll go to $199 if and when X is ever released.

I also remember being stuck at 1.1 for years because 1.2 was broken with denormal issues.

It seems like the RE versions were a bit of a sidetrack from my perspective, too.

Nitpicking?

Maybe, and it is what it is now... at least it is: a decent bundle for less than $20 per plug-in and a solid member of their non-synth product line.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

antithesist wrote:Satin seems to be in a similar boat regarding non-beta updates.
Oh, we're just around the corner with v1.2. Just notified our betas 10mins ago. If all goes well, it'll be public soon.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

It took me a while to see how cost-efficient buying Uhbik was - and how superior (to my ears and handling) it is to onboard effects, even within u-he synths. For the past year or so, my challenge has been to see what I can do to manipulate a tone/sound structure within the synth's modulation, which has really been key -- for me, as a beginner, in learning how synths operate. On the flip side, it's been really interesting to use a simple wav from the synth - any synth, and manipulate only by Uhbik - then maybe go back into the synth for more manipulation. For you pros, this is old hat and boring, but for those reading this who are relatively new to sound design, the more tools the more fun. I mean, I do admire artists (in any field) who can do a "lot" with so little (Keith Haring comes to mind), but I also appreciate the Sgt. Pepper's way, as well. Note (in my opinion): For those looking for instant gratification, Uhbik might not immediately fit that description in each unit. If you don't understand the vocabulary in the manual - which I don't fare that well, in many u-he manuals - because I think they're geared towards musicians who are already familiar with synth vocabulary and the math), it takes a lot of tinkering with the dials to discover each unit's depth - or get it get it to do what you want it to do. And if you're guessing like me (I still don't quite get how to make the reverb "hall" vs. "room", lol), it's also good to look at some of the presets to get an idea which "o'clock" a dial should be at to, for example, get a good chorus as opposed to flanger.

No signature here!

Return to “Effects”