Best reverb, for all jobs? (ongoing process)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic

codec_spurt wrote:I haven't felt the need to go beyond MMultiBandConvolution http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/ ... onvolution

Using the excellent free IRs that are scattered over the net.

You can split a load of bands and apply different FX, it has EQ and modulation galore for each split. It is insanely powerful for the price. I must be ignorant and not know any better I suppose. It is even decent on the cpu.

I can really bring a drum sound alive with this. It's hard to get it wrong. It's not expensive either. I also use Reverberate LE now and again, but being able to fine tune any particular band and eq it is all the power I need. That and being able to apply different amounts of dry/wet signal to each band. It is a sound designers dream. I mainly use it for drum stuff though.

It is also a hundred Euros cheaper than the Hofa one. Then again, it ain't as pretty that's for sure...
Color me intrigued. But I couldn't find that it had predelay anywhere. Yeah, saving cash, that would be great, but unless it kills what I have in some ways (and I think hofa kinda does) I dunno.

I'll DL the demo tonight.

I'd like to add: For convo, I used to really like reverberate. For some reason, I am not getting on with the sound of it of late. What started this was that I really like a lot of what is going on with "open air" but that is tethered to studio one........I use live most of the time :shrug: Refektor doesn't sound bad at all, but it's a NON JOY to work with inside of GR. :evil:

robertszalapski wrote:You can tweak the look, though. I need to check that one out again, I own it in a bundle.
The melda?

hibidy wrote:
robertszalapski wrote:You can tweak the look, though. I need to check that one out again, I own it in a bundle.
The melda?
Yeah, sorry I didn't quote the relevant text. I own a bunch of reverbs (Including EA Phoenix) but usually just use a Valhalla one. It's what I know and like.

For the love of sweet baby beetroots, download the older version. Unless you are aesthetically challenged in the extreme, you will thank me.

Get the latest version 7 one:
http://www.meldaproduction.com/download/

Apart from it being a strangely trouser brown puke colour, the knobs and the sliders and the whole shebang looks like it was knocked up in dr.frankenstein's tea break when someone put a little too much lsd in his ham sandwich. Oh, that and the fact that it doesn't work. At least not on my system where everything else works perfectly well. I was going to have a crack at doing the gui for it, but I had to revert to the older versions coz the new ones are broken.

But try v8 if you want.

robertszalapski wrote:
hibidy wrote:
The melda?
Yeah, sorry I didn't quote the relevant text. I own a bunch of reverbs (Including EA Phoenix) but usually just use a Valhalla one. It's what I know and like.
That's interesting. The phoenix one is one of the ones I thought I'd maybe try, but if the valhalla one is more appealing, then it's not really worth my time.

hibidy wrote:
Color me intrigued. But I couldn't find that it had predelay anywhere. Yeah, saving cash, that would be great, but unless it kills what I have in some ways (and I think hofa kinda does) I dunno.

It has predelay.

For the five built in reverbs convos it has - 250ms.

For your loaded library IRs you have to select 'Advanced Settings'

It takes some playing about with but with extra power it is worth it. It is super flexible.
You have a predelay of a whole 1 second there if you need it.

You can also draw points to not actually shift the delay of the start of the IR but as an envelope so the predelay starts from the start of the IR and the IR 'comes in' at the point you choose.

You can even reverse the IR if you want

Or use a step sequencer for an envelope for it

Or draw it in freehand if you like

This is the EQ you have for each band on top

At the end of the day, and I know nothing about this, but I imagine any convo reverb is only as good as its IRs and there are some superb free ones out there. Don't forget you can use guitar cabs as well, it is not just reverbs. But I guess you knew that. All a convo reverb is doing is playing back the IR with greater or lesser ease of use/flexibility etc.

A hundred Euros is a lot of money that you could spend on something else. I dare say the Hofa will do things that the Melda won't, but I would bet that the reverse is true also. The Melda is a very very deep plugin and we haven't even gone into the modulation stuff.

It's 0 latency too.

Anyway, use the settings I have shown above to get the predelay effect. I had some trouble getting it myself. If you want the preset I'll stick that in my dropbox for you. This thing comes with a lot of very good presets to get started though.

And don't forget you can use 2 IRs for each band and have I think six band splits! And this is the essence of its power for me. Add that ambience to the mid of the snare not the low end or high. Hone in and target any frequency and mix and match with ease.

You can see why I don't feel like I'm deprived or missing out in the convo dept.

If you are looking at the Melda, they are having a sale this month. It is part of the Creative bundle which will be half price at some time this month. Melda plugins are seriously good and deep.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

valhallasound wrote:
GaryG wrote:Are there any public details of these new algos yet or just for beta testers?
I'm not trying to keep stuff secret. I've just been busy.

The 6 new algorithms in VintageVerb: ...
Oh I didn't think you were but understand sometimes things are kept under wraps till everything's finalised.

Cheers, all the new algos sound intriguing.

Thanks to the discussion in this thread, I finally went ahead and downloaded the demo of Valhalla VintageVerb. It probably took me such a long time to do it because I have V Room and Shimmer and figured I had all my bases covered with those two. Since purchasing them a while ago, I have not needed another reverb plugin (or so I thought) and have become somewhat of a keen Valhalla 'enthusiast'.
However, after trying out the demo of VVV on a few instruments, I quickly went ahead and made the purchase and I think I can safely say that my interest in convo reverbs has significantly waned in inverse proportion to my enthusiasm for my newest addition to my Valhalla arsenal. These three VH plugins are true workhorses and have all my HQ reverb bases covered from character to realism.
I honestly didn't think I'd be that interested in a reverb that emulated old 70s, limited bandwidth and resolution units but I was wrong.... VERY wrong! The 70s and 80s algo's in VVV are SUPERB!

I didn't mean to make a value judgement on Phoenix. It's a great verb with a LOT of control and flexibility. Worth demoing for sure! I'm just saying that for me personally, the Valhalla's are really easy to get what I'm looking for, and even more so worth demoing.

hibidy wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:I haven't felt the need to go beyond MMultiBandConvolution http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/ ... onvolution

Using the excellent free IRs that are scattered over the net.

You can split a load of bands and apply different FX, it has EQ and modulation galore for each split. It is insanely powerful for the price. I must be ignorant and not know any better I suppose. It is even decent on the cpu.

I can really bring a drum sound alive with this. It's hard to get it wrong. It's not expensive either. I also use Reverberate LE now and again, but being able to fine tune any particular band and eq it is all the power I need. That and being able to apply different amounts of dry/wet signal to each band. It is a sound designers dream. I mainly use it for drum stuff though.

It is also a hundred Euros cheaper than the Hofa one. Then again, it ain't as pretty that's for sure...

I'd like to add: For convo, I used to really like reverberate. For some reason, I am not getting on with the sound of it of late. What started this was that I really like a lot of what is going on with "open air" but that is tethered to studio one........I use live most of the time :shrug: Refektor doesn't sound bad at all, but it's a NON JOY to work with inside of GR. :evil:
But a question comes to mind....

Are you using the same IR's in all the convolution reverbs that you're comparing, or are you comparing different IR's in different convo reverbs?

good question. I can't use the IR's in open air for anything else. I haven't looked to see if the Hofa IR's can be used on something else.

hibidy wrote:good question. I can't use the IR's in open air for anything else. I haven't looked to see if the Hofa IR's can be used on something else.
If you're comparing how one Convo "sounds" compared to another you should need to use a single IR to test it. Otherwise it's easy to suggest that what you hear as sounding good, is simply a different IR.

There should be a folder that these pull from. Even Convo's with proprietary formats like Altiverb usually have ways for converting WAV files to their proprietary format.

Hmmmmmmm. Well, that is part of why I'd be buying one vs another would be the IR's.

I'll have to look more into that in the next few. Britcasti has some freebies I'll futz with. It's a 110 right now so even with the A/C I don't feel like wearing cans. :x

AusDisciple wrote:Thanks to the discussion in this thread, I finally went ahead and downloaded the demo of Valhalla VintageVerb. It probably took me such a long time to do it because I have V Room and Shimmer and figured I had all my bases covered with those two. Since purchasing them a while ago, I have not needed another reverb plugin (or so I thought) and have become somewhat of a keen Valhalla 'enthusiast'.
However, after trying out the demo of VVV on a few instruments, I quickly went ahead and made the purchase and I think I can safely say that my interest in convo reverbs has significantly waned in inverse proportion to my enthusiasm for my newest addition to my Valhalla arsenal. These three VH plugins are true workhorses and have all my HQ reverb bases covered from character to realism.
I honestly didn't think I'd be that interested in a reverb that emulated old 70s, limited bandwidth and resolution units but I was wrong.... VERY wrong! The 70s and 80s algo's in VVV are SUPERB!
I bought VVV before Room coz I just didn't get Room at all after a few tries. If anything I may even like Room more now. I'll be getting Shimmer in a bit too at some point.

I rarely use convolution these days. It was fun a while back when there weren't any really outstanding reverbs about (that I could afford any way). Convo was a way to mimic some nice spaces. But what with the new Valhalla stuff, my understanding of Reverb has become more sophisticated. I'll use Convo for Special Fx or for Sound Design. And also for beefing up or cutting out drum sounds. But that's about it.

It's VVV and Room all the way for me. Oh and Eos as well which I believe Sean wrote the algos for. Having said that, I probably end up using AD ADverb more than anything else coz I have it on most of my start up templates for my DAWs.

Return to “Effects”