Yet another Waves license horror story

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

skitchy wrote:Which is great - right up to the point that the USB stick stops working.
Well, I've never experienced a usb stick quitting though I know they can.Anything's possible when dealing with computers stuff but I consider the odds. Issues with Wave licenses are far more frequent imho for people who do not have them on usb sticks and whenthey have their licenses on usb the sticks and they quit. I chimed in on the usb alternative because that was my solution to the kind Wave issues you are posting about today that I had in the past and it has served me well with no wave issues since. Don't see many posts about Wave licenses being lost due to stick failure. My experience is that usb avoids alot of those issues for those who want to weigh the pros and cons of keeping them on a stick ...or not.
Last edited by dblock on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, didn't know when I got my first Waves plugin what a mess the software protection is. But I'm not too hot on USBstickdongles either so I just have to find a nice replacement for the C4 Multiband and I'm good - didn't use the others anyway.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:Yeah, didn't know when I got my first Waves plugin what a mess the software protection is. But I'm not too hot on USBstickdongles either so I just have to find a nice replacement for the C4 Multiband and I'm good - didn't use the others anyway.

Cheers,

Tom
Fab Filter Pro MB. :tu:

dblock wrote:Fab Filter Pro MB. :tu:
Looks great. I'll buy a lottery ticket and see how it goes ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

ThomasHelzle wrote:
dblock wrote:Fab Filter Pro MB. :tu:
Looks great. I'll buy a lottery ticket and see how it goes ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
If money is an issue or you just wanna check it out, have a look at out the DNX-03 is a three-band stereo Compressor. If I didn't already have enough stuff, I'd check it out. 40% discount The price for the full version is only €19 instead of €39 , 40% Off.I dig the gui. Cheaper stuff can sometimes be exactly what you're looking for when you're looking for it.
good luck!

Hmm... My licenses disappeared twice of my USB stick (I wish they'd kept ilok).

But I reconnected to their cloud thingey, and popped it on a new USB. Pain, but I got it sorted... But the first USB stick was definitely faulty. Second one was fine (still is).
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

skyscape wrote:I've given up on waves products entirely, they're such a goddamn pain to install that I don't even bother. There are plenty of other good plugin providers out there that don't come entangled with such nonsense.
With all due respect but if you find Waves plugins difficult to install then you'r computing skills must be close to zero. Waves installer is as easy as any other. Actually one must give them credit for making it so easy with such a huge amount of plugins.
No signature here!

Robmobius wrote:Hmm... My licenses disappeared twice of my USB stick (I wish they'd kept ilok).

But I reconnected to their cloud thingey, and popped it on a new USB. Pain, but I got it sorted... But the first USB stick was definitely faulty. Second one was fine (still is).
USB sticks certainly can fail. I have had couple of glitches myself with Waves but this was due to computer switching off power on USB ports. So when it came back up Waves did not find licenses. Turing off USB power saving solved the issue.

I'm not too fond of Waves way of copy protection either but I'll take them any day over iLok or eLicenser. iLok and eLicenser dongles are nothing more than cheaply made and overpriced proprietary usb sticks, so they are prone to the same issues. And when they fail then you are in ten times more deeper sh1t than with Waves.
No signature here!

dblock wrote:If money is an issue or you just wanna check it out, have a look at out the DNX-03 is a three-band stereo Compressor. If I didn't already have enough stuff, I'd check it out. 40% discount The price for the full version is only €19 instead of €39 , 40% Off.I dig the gui. Cheaper stuff can sometimes be exactly what you're looking for when you're looking for it.
good luck!
What I liked on the C4 was that you were able to use it as a rather clever Multiband/Gate/Compressor:
My Guitar and Bass both are a bit noisy when the compression starts to raise the gain but I love the long sustain possible this way. I often play very long slow notes so I don't like normal gates - they sound unnatural in that scenario. With the C4 I was able to just reduce the upper noisy part of the sustain phase and it was almost inaudible.

I just have to sit down and build a similar device in Bitwig with the Audio MOD - Audio rate modulation is bliss :party:

I'll actually do that right now - thanks for the nudge! :-)

Cheers,

Tom

If you are a Windows user you could try the free ReaXcomp. It has a very clear interface and it's easy to use. I have managed to get very good results with it. The crossover is not a linear phase design but it still sounds very transparent to my ears and it can do more bands than you could ever possibly need.

http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

filter303 wrote:If you are a Windows user you could try the free ReaXcomp. It has a very clear interface and it's easy to use. I have managed to get very good results with it. The crossover is not a linear phase design but it still sounds very transparent to my ears and it can do more bands than you could ever possibly need.

http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
:dog: How did I manage to forget that one. :tu:

Cheers,

Tom

robotmonkey wrote:
Robmobius wrote:Hmm... My licenses disappeared twice of my USB stick (I wish they'd kept ilok).

USB sticks certainly can fail. I have had couple of glitches myself with Waves but this was due to computer switching off power on USB ports. So when it came back up Waves did not find licenses. Turing off USB power saving solved the issue.

I'm not too fond of Waves way of copy protection either but I'll take them any day over iLok or eLicenser. iLok and eLicenser dongles are nothing more than cheaply made and overpriced proprietary usb sticks, so they are prone to the same issues. And when they fail then you are in ten times more deeper sh1t than with Waves.
Yeah, I get what you are saying alright. I look at the iLok as a necessary evil, because there are certain plugins that I really like to have. So I bit the bullet.

I detest the elicenser thing, that's a right pain.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:

Yeah, I get what you are saying alright. I look at the iLok as a necessary evil, because there are certain plugins that I really like to have. So I bit the bullet.

Strange how different people have different experiences. I used to have an ilok and found that a pain. I have an elicenser and have had no issues whatsoever, that even includes making license transfers. :hihi:

Armadillosound wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:

Strange how different people have different experiences. I used to have an ilok and found that a pain. I have an elicenser and have had no issues whatsoever, that even includes making license transfers. :hihi:
Yeah true that. I just haven't had any hassles with it 'yet'. I should say. :wink:

robotmonkey wrote:
skyscape wrote:I've given up on waves products entirely, they're such a goddamn pain to install that I don't even bother. There are plenty of other good plugin providers out there that don't come entangled with such nonsense.
With all due respect but if you find Waves plugins difficult to install then you'r computing skills must be close to zero. Waves installer is as easy as any other. Actually one must give them credit for making it so easy with such a huge amount of plugins.

Yeah some people make good valid points here. But being hard to install is far from the truth.

Also if I ever make big changes to my computer I will move the licenses back to the cloud first.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Return to “Effects”