Slate says Monday for VMR

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

camsr wrote:If all you need is a frequency response graph, it's easier to use SPAN and a white noise generator, like mda TestTone.
bit off topic, but i have no idea how to obtain such a smooth and accurate graph as in VST Plugin Analyzer with spectrum analyzer plugins. the graph is always wobbling and floating, and doesn't look smooth (especially in the low frequencies). no amount of averaging and smoothing can produce such a clean graph VST Plugin Analyzer can (i use MMultiAnalyzer, but i tried SPAN too). is there something i'm doing wrong or don't know about?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

camsr wrote:If all you need is a frequency response graph, it's easier to use SPAN and a white noise generator, like mda TestTone.
Wouldn't work, as VST Plugin Analyser uses a specific test tone. It's a chirping und pulsing audio tone that I couldn't recreate yet.

VST Plugin Analyser is old, it has it's quirks (i.e. being able to test VST2 32bit plugins only). Sometimes it's working like it should, sometimes you need to go an extra route. It also depends on the plugins used.

Burillo wrote:bit off topic, but i have no idea how to obtain such a smooth and accurate graph as in VST Plugin Analyzer with spectrum analyzer plugins. the graph is always wobbling and floating, and doesn't look smooth (especially in the low frequencies). no amount of averaging and smoothing can produce such a clean graph VST Plugin Analyzer can (i use MMultiAnalyzer, but i tried SPAN too). is there something i'm doing wrong or don't know about?
Like I said, you'd need the test tone(s) that VST Plugin Analyser creates. Then you could try EQ's with built in FFT's or FFT's with peak hold function to see what's going on. A white/pink noise doesn't get you anywhere. Even a sine tone creates too "broad" harmonics in x-FFT analysis tools.

There is hope that VST Plugin Analyser v2 emerges some day.... or some other dev picks up the concept.

But to get back on topic:
AudioGuy720 wrote:Are you putting VCC before or after VMR? Does that even make a difference, in regard to the high pass filter?
In my example, the routing is VCC (channel) -> VMR.
I just tried VMR -> VCC (channel) with similar results. The lowshelf is about +0,5dB to +1dB higher in this scenario
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Burillo wrote:
bit off topic, but i have no idea how to obtain such a smooth and accurate graph as in VST Plugin Analyzer with spectrum analyzer plugins. the graph is always wobbling and floating, and doesn't look smooth (especially in the low frequencies). no amount of averaging and smoothing can produce such a clean graph VST Plugin Analyzer can (i use MMultiAnalyzer, but i tried SPAN too). is there something i'm doing wrong or don't know about?
In SPAN I set it up like the following.

For white/pink noise: 32768 bins, 90% windowing, AVG spectrum display, maybe 1/6oct smoothing.
For Dirac impulse: 4096 bins, 90% windowing, MAX spectrum display.

Using the impulse is better for an easier to read graph, and using the 4096 bins makes sure the peaks in the spectrum are at the same level as the peaks in the signal. The white noise test I usually use for comparing peaks and nulls.

mda TestTone has sines, sine sweep, white/pink noise, and dirac impulse.

AudioGuy720 wrote:
lacandon wrote:So its possible then products to sounds very nice without killing the cpu VMR sounds 10 times better then VCC 1 and use less cpu ...
Tone 2 Electra its other one witch comes to mind light cpu great quality !
How are you comparing a subtle saturation plugin to a plugin with equalizers and compressors?

And yes the new VCC, version 2.0, will use the new VMR framework along with its optimizations that VCC did not have. Let's hope it comes out next month like Steven Slate estimates.

Its not hard to notice the new Slate plugs are definitely sounding analog,Vcc its in between but i believe the new one will sounds bit better!

Funny that you mention it, because the "analog sound" of the FG-N preamp is actually lower than in VCC (Brit-N), and pretty much nonexistent (barely any harmonics, they are as low as -130dB) for the FG-S until you crank the gain per band.

So you are comparing apples (preamps) with oranges (EQ's).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Funny that you mention it, because the "analog sound" of the FG-N preamp is actually lower than in VCC (Brit-N), and pretty much nonexistent (barely any harmonics, they are as low as -130dB) for the FG-S until you crank the gain per band.

So you are comparing apples (preamps) with oranges (EQ's).
No no in that sense mate just like a overall feel i feel they are more closer to the target and i am sure vcc 2 will sounds better!

Btw i meant mostly the Revival tickness thing i prefer it more !
Last edited by lacandon on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Love the new VMR, but really hope we're on target for FGX/VCC in December!

Has anyone posted these yet?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0zzmN5qzSBt1GxHQ6N1_mg

I thought this was a nice look at these with maybe a wider variety of uses than the typical review.

hibidy wrote:Has anyone posted these yet?

I thought this was a nice look at these with maybe a wider variety of uses than the typical review.
yes and thank you, he has a good hand on compressors,
I`d recommend his "ultimate compressor" series, well done and a lot of infos.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Thanks for mentioning it, I'll watch soon.

I wonder what Bmanic thinks about these plug-ins
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

Compyfox wrote:
Wouldn't work, as VST Plugin Analyser uses a specific test tone. It's a chirping und pulsing audio tone that I couldn't recreate yet.
you could probably use Melda MRecorder to capture that tone though...
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I've not read all of this thread but have just looked at the VMR web page. The way that the "Buy Now" box follows me I as scroll down the page is very annoying, distracting me from reading about the product and nagging me.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Burillo wrote:
Compyfox wrote:
you could probably use Melda MRecorder to capture that tone though...
I can try a couple of DIRAC tones and the MDA TestTone plugin the next days. But to be honest, I still prefer VST Plugin Analyser.

lacandon wrote:No no in that sense mate just like a overall feel i feel they are more closer to the target and i am sure vcc 2 will sounds better!

Btw i meant mostly the Revival tickness thing i prefer it more !
Revival is basically an "exciter" - not necessarily a preamp.
But I get where you aim at.

BigSZ wrote:Love the new VMR, but really hope we're on target for FGX/VCC in December!
Steven Slate wrote several times in his mails, and on GS; that he aims (emphasis) for a VCC v2 release in December. But there is no guarantee. He gave no hints on the FG-X v2 release.

hibidy wrote:Has anyone posted these yet?

Have you seen Steven Slate's official VMR videos as well?
The EDM one is great and shows once more, that he definitely doesn't take himself too seriously. Which is a good trait IMO.

Compyfox wrote:I can try a couple of DIRAC tones and the MDA TestTone plugin the next days. But to be honest, I still prefer VST Plugin Analyser.
i'd be very interested to know the results (maybe separate topic, not to go off topic here), as VST Plugin Analyzer, as great as it is, is 32-bit only, and i went full 64-bit quite a while ago and honestly can't be bothered to install 32-bit plugins just to test them, so my usage of VSTPA was replaced with MMultiAnalyzer (and sometimes compscope). i'll have to try MRecorder also...

Return to “Effects”