Tokyo Dawn Labs releases Kotelnikov (standard and GE)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR Kotelnikov TDR Kotelnikov GE

Turello wrote:@Tricky: prima hai l'obbligo morale di provare il MIO plugin!!! Serious: Anyway think no...
l'obbligo morale? :o

Anyway, I'll test Sturiophony in the course of the next weeks! :wink: Didn't you want to build an open-air cinema with Sturiophony in Taormina? :P

Thanks TDL :)

@Tricky: Yes, Probably When You come to visit Taormina!!! :hihi:

:-P

Turello wrote:@Tricky: Yes, Probably When You come to visit Taormina!!! :hihi:

:-P
Se mi offriresti alcuni Jaigermaister... :P

Well, props to TDL for releasing another exquisite looking plugin.
Gonna d/l tomorrow but until then does anyone know what the difference between this and the feedback comp is, apart from the refined GUI? The controls look pretty similar.
And was does Kotelnikov mean? Or is it just a name like Schmidt or Neve?

Now back to my question: Is it just a compressor like TDR Feedback Compressor, or is it more (because it's called a "dynamic processor" so I assume it can do more than compressing?)

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Most transparent comp I have ever used!
Same here - Kotelnikov GE is a truly excellent product capable of things no other compressor in my collection can manage :love:

There are a lot of similarities in many of the conrols, but to give an idea of the difference, I've now filed Feedback II in my 'Dynamics Character' folder for its more aggressive and extreme sound design possibilities, while Kotelnnikov GE is now in my 'Dynamics Clean' folder for its ability to change the dynamics in a supremely clean manner, more suitable for mastering, acoustic instruments and any other application where you want to control the dynamics without muddying up the sound.

Hope this helps!

Martin
Last edited by MWSOS on Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

At first sight I misread it as Kotletnikov... :o

Zombie Queen wrote:At first sight I misread it as Kotletnikov... :o
Now we're waiting for the super-aggressive Kalashnikov compressor (to accompany Molotov compressor)... :P

Ok, read the manual and there it is: Vladimir Kotelnikov was a Russian scientist who discovered the sampling theorem (independently from C. Shannon) and lots of other stuff. Super-geek!
Excellent manual, by the way.

Tricky-Loops wrote:Now back to my question: Is it just a compressor like TDR Feedback Compressor, or is it more (because it's called a "dynamic processor" so I assume it can do more than compressing?)
1. It doesn't have "Feedback" word in its name
2. GE version features "frequency depended ratio" (FDR), this thing has a lot of common with a dynamic equalizer.
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

@Tricky: As I said!!! :-P

ti offro una bottiglia di Jaigermaister e, finalmente il vino buono!!! ahahahahah

In answer to what the main differences are between Kotelnikov and FB Comp II are, there are several striking differences.

Firstly, Kotelnikov is no longer a feedback compressor which is certainly one good reason for it not being called FB Comp III ! :)

Feedback compressors often struggle to achieve higher ratios and therefore are limited in the amount of gain reduction they can trigger compared to a feed forward design.

There are also many refinements to the detection, so this combined with the different topology means you will find that Kotelnikov grabs a little differently when used with similar settings to FB Comp II.

There is a certain frequency dependent flavour to the "RMS" part as well and this part of the compressor has been designed to be ultra clean and very low in distortion.

I actually love the grab of the peak path and have found on a lot of dance music material that keeping the crest between 1 and 3 can sound really exciting. For cleaner results, 3dB and upwards for the crest control make for good starting points and this will help favour the switch from the peak release to the RMS release.

It also benefits from the same UI upgrades that started with Slick EQ; preset management / sharing, A/B comparison and undo/redo etc.

The GE edition adds several advanced features and goodies that are so good that it will be very hard to resist shelling out the extremely reasonable 40 euros to upgrade! :)

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

Hi Fabien, I think I've found a small bug.
I tried using the plugin in parallel (not using built-in mix) and the delay is not reported to the host correctly. I had to delay the dry route by only 8 samples (at 96khz) while the plugin reported 184 samples.

Oh, interesting find. Looks like unwanted behaviour indeed. We'll try to fix this asap.

Ok, it seems we'll have to release a bugfix update very soon.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Return to “Effects”