IK Multimedia Gear Credits Changes

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The only thing I'm interested in on my end, is new T-RackS stuff (Master Tape plugin first, please), and BASS amps.

That's it, have a nice day :D !

I didn't think I missed questions, a heads up of upcoming changes does not contain the specific list of pricing changes and is simply meant as a notification - as I've stated before. The changes will be detailed when they are in effect (similar to another pricing and restructuring announcement made by another sizable plugin company which also has not been rolled our or detailed yet).

The email contains all of the information that can be shared at this time. I understand if you do not appreciate the notification or its contents, as this can be expected with any very large user database - not everybody is going to be happy with the information nor can I divulge any more information than is given therein.

Why has there been no new Amplitube amps in almost a year?

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I didn't think I missed questions, a heads up of upcoming changes does not contain the specific list of pricing changes and is simply meant as a notification - as I've stated before. The changes will be detailed when they are in effect (similar to another pricing and restructuring announcement made by another sizable plugin company which also has not been rolled our or detailed yet).

The email contains all of the information that can be shared at this time. I understand if you do not appreciate the notification or its contents, as this can be expected with any very large user database - not everybody is going to be happy with the information nor can I divulge any more information than is given therein.
Peter, I'm generally very supportive of IK, but I just think this is being as poorly communicated as humanly possible. What was posted in the OP sounds very much like:

"1. Hey everyone, buy now because some prices might go up
2. ...but they might go down
3. ...but do you really want to gamble. Buy now!"

How that qualifies as "communication" at all is beyond me. The email expresses possibilities about what might happen in the future, with no actual information that would allow users to make an informed decision.

Better options would have been:

1. Say which prices are going up and which are going down even if you don't include the actual prices
2. Don't announce anything until IK can disclose all the important information, even if that means waiting until after the release (better to say, "hey prices changed, sorry" compared to pressuring users to make a decision to buy now based on a lack of information as to what the future cost will be)

I'm sorry Peter, but this was a self inflicted wound by IK's PR. That communication couldn't have been handled more poorly IMO.

Angle Loss wrote:Why has there been no new Amplitube amps in almost a year?
There have been other types of gear added, and we're working on new amps (and other gear) as well as AmpliTube 4 so you should see some great new models and features in the not-too-far-off future. We did put a lot of time an effort into the T-RackS models that were released, which were definitely a major effort to get released at that level of quality which did take a lot of resources and I'm sure that factored in.

@FET - I will relay your thoughts and suggestions and appreciate your expression of your opinion on the matter.

Two things:
a) I thought IKM finally drops the Gear Credits bollocks, but instead the prices go up
b) I did not get any such mail the OP is talking about

Not surprising to me anymore
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Despite all the complaining and hearsay, this announcement has made me go look at my (very full) Amplitube collection and think about what other goodies I'd be interested in adding.

lol
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Peter,
I will try summarize, followed by questions and the answers that I think IK is giving. Feel free to change anything I have misrepresented.

Announcement: We will be changing the value of your gear credits and some prices. Some items will cost more and some will cost less. A small number of you may not like this, but most of you will appreciate the heads up of such useful information. We are doing this because you will enjoy the experience of evening out our prices.

Q: What do you mean by evening out pricing, and how does this lead to a better experience? Does someone in charge really enjoy shopping at dollar stores, where everything has the same exact price?
A: we cannot divulge any more info.

Q: The only reason I can think of for restructuring is to lower the value of credits people have saved, so they can't buy new stuff (and I guess the old stuff) as easily. Are there any reasons I've forgotten?
A: Another company made price changes, so we are, too.

Q: The only reason I can think of to not divulge the details ahead of time is because then you lose the desired effect of using fear to encourage customers to use their credits now, before they become less valuable (although just to keep you confused, in some cases they might become more valuable). Can you think of any better reasons to not give details ahead of time?
A: We cannot divulge any more info. And we really don't understand why you should be upset about the common courtesy we've already shown.

It really would have been so much easier to leave credits the same, and adjust the pricing upwards for new items. How is this not just another way to maximize profit while alienating more customers along the way? If the new system is truly fair to both old and new customers, then a heads up wouldn't really be needed.

I know exactly why I am staying miles away from any IK Product.

Why?

Because people bought these credits - usually at a discounted price since the more you buy, the higher the discount, (not to mention the occasional sale they've had on these credits) and then these credits can be used to purchase the products at cheaper prices than paying outright for the product?

The only way anyone is getting screwed on this deal is if they paid 1 for 1 cash for the credit, or the upcoming pricing scheme will be such that it would cost more in the cash price of the credits in the future than it would be buying it outright/directly for cash today. Somehow, I doubt that will be the case, so what most, if not all people are losing is the amount of discount, but you'll likely still be getting the plug at a discount from paying cash outright.

Maybe they are switching to a subscription plan? $9.95 per month for access to all Custom Shop Gear?

Can't believe how fast some kind of "news" become stale nowdays. Nothing bad about informing the customers.

Btw. I never got such a mail as well.. :lol:
Last edited by valerian_777 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

cwig wrote:Maybe they are switching to a subscription plan? $9.95 per month for access to all Custom Shop Gear?
If they did, I'd be done with them forever.

Return to “Effects”