Klanghelm MJUC and MJUC jr. released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First of all, thank you for replaying ( to the usual suspects ) about this.

I am total FAIL in demoing the JR (please, I deserve to be beaten)......... but, I'm going to do it now. Promise.

Now one thing, being a "good overall" comp doesn't equal what I've heard. I keep hearing about it just being the shizzle of shizzles. That bothers me because I've use some pretty freaking substantial comps ;)

But, being in vst land again (and tracktion, which unless I'm missing the obvious of all obviouses........) has the worst comp EVER, I need something killer. Smash is good, taming peaks is good (though I'm hard pressed to reproduce the mcdsp 670 for that, I have the reason RE) but is it better in peoples opinion than lets say.......presswork? :shrug:

Anyways, let me stfu, and go to work for the next day or two with "jr" :lol:

:lol:

I get it immd.

I'll play with it tomorrow with the "jr" to make sure, but jesus christ, it's actually obvious, and I LOVE VMR (this seems to have a character to rival, gimme another day.......)

Get the full juan, incubus.

incubus wrote:Now one thing, being a "good overall" comp doesn't equal what I've heard. I keep hearing about it just being the shizzle of shizzles. That bothers me because I've use some pretty freaking substantial comps ;)
A few things I just want to chime in with:

1. I'm not sure the Jr. version does a great job selling the full version of this plugin. It's a fine compressor on its own (try the Slow time constant on a smooth electric bass), but the Jr. version lacks the bottom panel, HQ mode, auto-gain compensation, and the scalable UI. I kind of wish Jr. was a 4th mode built into the full version, but that's a different conversation.

2. This is a VERY freaking substantial compressor plugin, just go into with the right expectations. This isn't a "smack" type compressor, and I'd probably never us it on a snare drum. This is more of a round, gooey transients type compressor. Very smooth, even at deep reduction settings. Try it out on bass, vocals, piano, maybe even a drum or mix buss where you're looking to gently round off a few dbs.

3. Don't trust the gain reduction meters, use your ears. You'll hear the compression on this long before it registers on the meter.

4. Don't just listen to the compression, also check out the tone MJUC imparts.

It's really one of the top compressor plugins out there, but it definitely works better on some sources than others. Experiment.

Let me chime in to say that I agree with all points Funkybot just raised. :)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:1. I'm not sure the Jr. version does a great job selling the full version of this plugin. ... I kind of wish Jr. was a 4th mode built into the full version, but that's a different conversation.
Not sure as of this moment which of the following three was the "additional mode" - DC1A, IVGI or MJUC Jr was the "additional model". One of them was for sure.

And... all of the freebies are different tuned than the big versions as well. It's an appetizer after all.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:2. This is a VERY freaking substantial compressor plugin, just go into with the right expectations. This isn't a "smack" type compressor, and I'd probably never us it on a snare drum. This is more of a round, gooey transients type compressor. Very smooth, even at deep reduction settings. Try it out on bass, vocals, piano, maybe even a drum or mix buss where you're looking to gently round off a few dbs.
Sorry, can't confirm that. I used MJUC exclusively in the Mix Challenge #14 and I used it on pretty much everything. Snare, Vocals, Guitars. The compressor is reminiscent of the EMI RS124, and this was a frigging brutal/fast compressor - one of the predecessors to the Teletronix (later Universal Audio) 1176.

Of course, it depends on how you've set it up - but it's definitely suitable for all kinds of signals you throw at it.

Else, I can pretty much agree on "listening to" the compressor rather than trusting the GR meter alone.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:2. This is a VERY freaking substantial compressor plugin, just go into with the right expectations. This isn't a "smack" type compressor, and I'd probably never us it on a snare drum. This is more of a round, gooey transients type compressor. Very smooth, even at deep reduction settings. Try it out on bass, vocals, piano, maybe even a drum or mix buss where you're looking to gently round off a few dbs.
Sorry, can't confirm that. I used MJUC exclusively in the Mix Challenge #14 and I used it on pretty much everything. Snare, Vocals, Guitars. The compressor is reminiscent of the EMI RS124, and this was a frigging brutal/fast compressor - one of the predecessors to the Teletronix (later Universal Audio) 1176.
The attack is quite fast on MJUC, but the release just isn't as fast as an 1176. I mostly do rock stuff and like my snare with a bit of the transient poking through with a very fast release. A common starting point would be an 1176 with the attack at 3 o'clock and the release at it's fastest setting doing an ungodly amount of reduction. MJUC doesn't get anywhere near as fast an 1176 in that regard and just doesn't do that particular sound, which was all I was saying. I guess I should have been more specific. It can certainly work for some snare sounds, just not that particular sound.

Tried the "density mode" with mk3?

Else, yes... the 1176 is unholy in terms of fast attack/release if you really want to destroy things.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
incubus wrote:Now one thing, being a "good overall" comp doesn't equal what I've heard. I keep hearing about it just being the shizzle of shizzles. That bothers me because I've use some pretty freaking substantial comps ;)
A few things I just want to chime in with:

1. I'm not sure the Jr. version does a great job selling the full version of this plugin. It's a fine compressor on its own (try the Slow time constant on a smooth electric bass), but the Jr. version lacks the bottom panel, HQ mode, auto-gain compensation, and the scalable UI. I kind of wish Jr. was a 4th mode built into the full version, but that's a different conversation.

2. This is a VERY freaking substantial compressor plugin, just go into with the right expectations. This isn't a "smack" type compressor, and I'd probably never us it on a snare drum. This is more of a round, gooey transients type compressor. Very smooth, even at deep reduction settings. Try it out on bass, vocals, piano, maybe even a drum or mix buss where you're looking to gently round off a few dbs.

3. Don't trust the gain reduction meters, use your ears. You'll hear the compression on this long before it registers on the meter.

4. Don't just listen to the compression, also check out the tone MJUC imparts.

It's really one of the top compressor plugins out there, but it definitely works better on some sources than others. Experiment.
That's probably pretty accurate and in line with what I'm hearing. RARELY do I use meters in comps except gain staging. Yes, the flavor is obvious.

I like MJUC and use it almost all the time (partly because I'm too lazy). The only other compressor I regularly reach for is TB_BusCompressor. What compressors do you think complements MJUC best? I feel MJUC tends towards a soft vibe, I could use some contrast.

Cheers!

Nm

Hey,

just bought the plugin, so I paid using PayPal. Then what am I supposed to do ?
Where do I register to download ?

Never mind, Gmail sent the mail to the spam box.

Edit: Sorry, wrong post! :P

dasdeck wrote:I like MJUC and use it almost all the time (partly because I'm too lazy). The only other compressor I regularly reach for is TB_BusCompressor. What compressors do you think complements MJUC best? I feel MJUC tends towards a soft vibe, I could use some contrast.
Sknote Disto and Hornet Multicomp Plus are both certainly great compressors that would bring something new to the table for you...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I wanted to rebump this:

Hopefully, I'm first in line to get MJUC (full) in the marketplace. I don't really use vst host's much but after using "jr" all this time, it's crazy how "correct" the hype is. That isn't even a thing I'm guessing to the full, but it's still REALLY good.

One thing vs all the other slurp comps (some really expensive) is it does something not all comps do.......COMPRESS! :lol:

Good at taming peaks, nice character, not terrible on cpu and a price than can't be beat*

*Well, I'm "reason" 98% of the time, so it's tough to spend even a dollar when it's not RE...but considering my one gas buy of metafilter/element 2, I think it's time to give this serious consideration.

Stable in at least two hosts: Tracktion and reaper.

Return to “Effects”