Why doesn't Trash 2 get much love at this price ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

V0RT3X wrote:
careyletendre wrote:iZotope is a fantastic company with great products. A vocal minority of embittered and resentful people won't change that.

+1
Have either of you spent a few grand on RX + updates ?

maybe then you'd have a different opinion, or maybe you don't mind getting nickle & dimed for improvements that should be included in the advanced package.

of course it's easy to throw stones at 'a vocal minority of embittered and resentful people' when all you've invested is $85 here and there.

Why so sudden drop in price? V3 comes or sales of T2 dont go so well...?

I figured a discontinue and a recoding for the new wave of plugins, hopefully there is an upgrade path and/or a V3. All stricktly speculation though.

Izotope has some nice product, I hope they improve the perceived customer experience. Customer loyalty programs would be a plus.
BC

I really turned Trash 1 inside out, upside down - and it all sounded digital.
I did my own utilities making it possible to sort presets on just about any parameter to explore every corner of combinations available.
But it was for guitar purposes to emulate amps. It may have other uses.

Maybe they improved by now, but don't miss anything having hardware amps for guitar now. And am about to invest in a Randall Isolation box for miked speaker - so that is the path I'm taking.

If to take a look at amp emulations I am probably testing Magix Vandal. Heard plenty good about SGear and Peavey Revalver.

I bought Trash2 last time it was reduced (minus the expansion packs) and absolutely love it. Although i can't see it replacing SDRR or CamelPhat/Crusher, it offers an immense amount of distortion potential unmatched by anything else i own. It does sound quite digital to my ears, hence needing a little warming up by the aforementioned but it's just so deep and comprehensive that its quickly become my first choice for my bass bus and may well end up a permanent fixture on my drum bus too.

I suspect Trash3 may be round the corner, if Ozone6's GUI improvements are anything to go by it could be a decent update provided they don't decide to drop features again.

careyletendre wrote:iZotope is a fantastic company with great products.
I can just about agree with 50% of that sentence.

I just picked it up after spending some time with the demo and I'm glad I did. I remember not being too fond of Trash 1 so I wrote it off, but there are just some fantastic sounds you can pull of with it that ultimately led to me snatching it up on the current offer.

I own Saturn and Ohmicide, but not Decapitator. I really don't use ohmicide anymore and I do feel comfortable using Trash 2 in place of Ohmicide, but Trash 2 does not replace Saturn, and Saturn does not replace Trash 2.

The onboard tools for further shaping the sound really do extend the use of the plugin. The modulation node system could be more robust, but being able to define target frequency is a nice touch.

I love that you can change signal flow, which is something that was not immediately apparent to me because I didn't expect "graph" to open the signal flow chain, but I'm just glad its there and that it is easy to use.

Initially I didn't care for the delay module inside a distortion unit, but because you can set the delay to such small amounts, it is also a lovely addition for sound design within the unit allowing to freely switch from modulation style delay fx like phaser/chorus sounds to "traditional" repeated delay sounds.

As Simon mentioned earlier the vowel filters are quite nice. I haven't gotten so far as to discover the length limitation on the convolution module but that's good to know moving forward, but I also don't feel it inhibits Trash 2 doing what Trash 2 does best, so I can live within that limitation.

The expansions which were included with the purchase are nice for getting ideas of how Trash 2 can be pushed. FX presets are always tricky in that whenever they were created, I'm sure they sounded great on the audio that was passing through Trash 2 at the time it was designed, but obviously there's no way to know what each user will pass through. So... this is one of those YMMV moments because I probably won't use the presets and simply feel like there are just too many, but I imagine some others will love Trash 2 for all the presets that are included in this current deal.

Anyway... My 2 cents is that $85 is an absolute bargain for this. Even if Izotope comes out version 3 next week, I'm just fine with what version 2 does right now. $85 is worth what Trash 2 is capable of doing today.

And as much as the other stuff about the company... I definitely sympathize with those users. You really can invest quite a bit of money with their "advanced" line, so it is a bit disappointing to see more advanced features work their way into other products but not their "premium" line. Anyway... as the advice has been going around (post Camel Audio), buy something for what it is today, and not what you hope it to be tomorrow.

Not every thread about an iZotope product has turn into an iZotope bitchfest - I have contributed to the bitching against them, but that doesn't make Trash 2, or RX4 Advanced or Ozone 5 or Stutter Edit bad products - on the contrary. So maybe create a dedicated iZotope hate-thread (and an iLok hate-thread while we're at it) and try to keep the individual threads clear of the general Whambulance-content, I shall try to do that myself in the future.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Not every thread about an iZotope product has turn into an iZotope bitchfest - I have contributed to the bitching against them, but that doesn't make Trash 2, or RX4 Advanced or Ozone 5 or Stutter Edit bad products - on the contrary. So maybe create a dedicated iZotope hate-thread (and an iLok hate-thread while we're at it) and try to keep the individual threads clear of the general Whambulance-content, I shall try to do that myself in the future.
Its gonna happen... No way to police it, just let it be. There's no reason why a great product can't stand out despite whatever issues are going on with another product from the same company.

The same goes for the ongoing saga that is copy protection. As much as people are sick of it as a topic derailment, it still can be considered related to a product.

Besides there's a good chance that some of the companies that didn't previously allow for the different copy protections methods they do now, would not have changed if not for all the bitching... Some people love dongles, some don't... Its great that some companies allow a choice, or in some cases both!

Anyway, in a forum setting, I think its all pretty much fair game (probably a reason I post a bit then disappear, return/leave, rinse and repeat... It can be as much fun as it can be tiring, IMO).

I don't hate Izotope; I hate myself, for owning most of their output over the last 11 years but now lacking the backbone to say "enough is enough" and refusing to pay the latest ridiculous upgrade prices. They know that. They are no better or worse than Apple in that regard.

Izotope make great products; back on topic, Trash 2 is my goto plugin for distortion, like Saturn is my goto for saturation.

It's just a pity I don't have shares in Izotope!

--

I don't think Ben would permit dedicated hate threads anyway; it is contrary to the purpose of KVR (to make money from advertising).

But the way it is now in every thread about a product from a company with a bad reputation we can read the identical comments over and over again, that can't be the purpose of KVR either.

lnikj wrote:
careyletendre wrote:iZotope is a fantastic company with great products.
I can just about agree with 50% of that sentence.
iZotope is a company with products? Thats more than 50% :clown:

Trash (1 and 2) were always my favorite multi-band compressor. But I didn't use the distortion much. Ended up selling it because I figured I could find multi-band compression elsewhere. Still miss that sometimes though.

I'm pretty good with Ohmicide and kombinat for the multi-band distortions.

Sampleconstruct wrote:But the way it is now in every thread about a product from a company with a bad reputation we can read the identical comments over and over again, that can't be the purpose of KVR either.
And you propose to police every thread, which would be just as much a distraction/derailment as are the posts about user complaints? Is that really a solution?

elxsound wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:But the way it is now in every thread about a product from a company with a bad reputation we can read the identical comments over and over again, that can't be the purpose of KVR either.
And you propose to police every thread, which would be just as much a distraction/derailment as are the posts about user complaints? Is that really a solution?
No, of course not, I don't propose policing anything at all, it was just an obsolete thought, forget about it, KVR is what it is and will remain like that anyway - although we do have enough wannabe admins around...

Return to “Effects”