Tokyo Dawn Labs just released TDR Nova GE

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR Nova TDR Nova GE

For our French friends (many thanks to Laurend from MaximalSound for the translation):

NOVA est un égaliseur dynamique parallèle reprenant l'architecture d'un classique égaliseur paramétrique. Le plug-in comprend un contrôleur de dynamique complet permettant de couvrir un éventail impressionnant d'usages. Que ce soit un master manquant de densité, un "buss" de batterie manquant de mordant, ou un problème de sifflantes dans une prise de voix parfaitement interprétée: NOVA est l'outil adapté.

Un contrôle graphique convivial des courbes réponse est jumelé à un classique réglage par bouton pour un accès rapide et précis aux différents paramètres de traitement. Une compensation de niveau élaborée de la version GE permet un réglage optimal sans se laisser influencer par les différences de volume sonore..

Les usages possibles sont:
  • Égalisation paramétrique
  • Égalisation dynamique
  • Compression ou expansion de certaines fréquences
  • Compression ou expansion multi-bandes
  • Compression large bande
NOVA Gentleman's Edition comprend un total de six bandes d'égalisation dynamique indépendantes avec filtrage de haute qualité fonctionnant en mode « link » ou « split ». La version GE offre :
  • Deux bandes supplémentaires
  • Des ratios plus importants pour les traitements de dynamique
  • Un filtrage raide jusqu'à 120dB / oct
  • La prise en charge de la compensation automatique de volume
  • Un mode haute qualité « INSANE »
Prix:
Comme toujours, l'édition standard peut être téléchargée gratuitement, tandis que la Gentleman's Edition peut être achetée directement pour 40€.

Plus d'infos ici:
http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova
http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova-ge
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Constantly impressed by the quality of the GUI work which is both aesthetically pleasing (very much so) and highly functional. Never got my head around the old Nova, way to complicated for me, but this i can see myself using, if only for looking at the beautiful display (that golden yellow of the eq curve is just perfect!)

Amazing GUI indeed.
By the way, apart from the dynamic feature, what is to expect from the eq itself : is it a "regular" digital eq, or anything to know about how it deals with Nyquist, pre-ringing, etc ?

Bug report :
TDR Nova Free 32 bit in Fl Studio :
While playing a track, opening/closing the GUI produce clicks/glitches (even in bypass mode).

Other than that it sounds and works beautifully :hyper:

sinkmusic wrote: By the way, apart from the dynamic feature, what is to expect from the eq itself : is it a "regular" digital eq, or anything to know about how it deals with Nyquist, pre-ringing, etc ?
Each band has ranges from 10 Hz to 40k regardless of sample rate. EQ is min-phase and has "analog phase" or "natural phase" behavior (like analog EQ connected through DAC/ADC so the signal is resampled through filters and the result is bandlimited). Filters are classic: constant Q symmetric bell and symmetric shelves. Bands are connected in parallel. Slight non-linearity without aliasing. Mandatory auto-gain. Average latency and more than average CPU consumption. Unique feature: wideband gain, which allows to deform EQ curve between bands to fine tune the tone. The primary usage scenario of this EQ (in my opinion) is stem mastering.
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

Thank you, Vlad. I was wondering if Nova could become a "goto eq" for "basic" duties, and form the manual it seems so :
Standard parametric equalization is NOVA’s basic use-case. Its smooth sounding, yet precise filters can easily
cover any equalization task. Each band ranges over an extremely wide FREQUENCY range from 10 Hz to 40 kHz
(~12 octaves). All equalizer bands can be operated in hi-shelf/low-shelf or bell mode, with continuous control
over Q and GAIN. This flexibility paired with the informative feedback from the main display make NOVA an
exceptionally powerful equalizer.

In addition, any loudness change introduced by static equalization is compensated automatically.
Thank you also for the additional informations and insight ! :)

About the reported UI performance issues, we're currently working on fixes. Sorry for any trouble we may cause, expect a hotfix update very soon.

@Yeager: we found and fixed the issue already. Watch out for the next update.
Last edited by FabienTDR on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Compyfox wrote: - yes, normal EQ work is possible but it is NOT a serial EQ - it's a parallel EQ
Would you be so kind as to explain the difference between a parallel EQ and a serial EQ?

TDR Slick EQ for tracks, Nova, Kotelnikov and LimiterNo.6 on the Master Bus. This will make for a stellar chain of world class plugins. Congrats to Fabien and VladG for another inspiring creation!

Skorpius wrote:
Compyfox wrote: - yes, normal EQ work is possible but it is NOT a serial EQ - it's a parallel EQ
Would you be so kind as to explain the difference between a parallel EQ and a serial EQ?
Take a dive into the NOVA Manual:
http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

On page 6 is a routing chart and small explanation.

Though vladg made an excellent post about this in his blog. Way better than I may be able to explain it:
https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/tag/pa ... equalizer/
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:
Skorpius wrote:
Take a dive into the NOVA Manual:
http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

On page 6 is a routing chart and small explanation.

Though vladg made an excellent post about this in his blog. Way better than I may be able to explain it:
https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/tag/pa ... equalizer/
Okay so I looked at the article and it really doesn't seem that much different? I don't see how it's not "normal eqing"? What would be a good scenario to reach for a parallel eq then?

In presence of nonlinearities, parallel connections "add" the nonlinearities (either wanted or not) of each band, whereby serial connections "multiply" them. This is a distinct difference.

Nova has multiple nonlinearities, the EQ filters themselves and the dynamics processing.

For "normal EQing" it doesn't really matter, that's true.

FabienTDR wrote: @Yeager: we found and fixed the issue already. Watch out for the next update.
Cool 8) :hyper:

FabienTDR wrote:For "normal EQing" it doesn't really matter, that's true.
It it still NOT a daily, go to EQ IMO.

I already amde the power drill/whisk attachment comparison. It's like insisting on constantly using a Linear Phase EQ, since it sounds "so much better" than a regular "normal phase" one that was used for decades prior.

Again - personal 2c.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:
FabienTDR wrote:For "normal EQing" it doesn't really matter, that's true.
It it still NOT a daily, go to EQ IMO.

I already amde the power drill/whisk attachment comparison. It's like insisting on constantly using a Linear Phase EQ, since it sounds "so much better" than a regular "normal phase" one that was used for decades prior.

Again - personal 2c.
But this is a normal phase eq though? Yes, it's dynamic but you don't have to use that. I use Mautodynamiceq for my normal eq duties as well as dynamic eq so I don't see how this is any different?

Return to “Effects”