Waves NX out - and its brilliant

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nx – Virtual Mix Room over Headphones

2NDMOUSE wrote:If this was JUST the $49 plugin, I'd be interested, but it seems it can't be used without the special webcam.
I don't have or want a webcam, especially a special $100 webcam.
Sonarworks may be a better option for me.
I really don't like the waves business model either ( ie, having to subscribe to get updates to plugins you've already built.....i'd call that "milking your existing customer-base for even more money )
It is $ 49 (or even less) at the moment. So I guess we see you in the shop... :D

so I guess you didn't read what I wrote...

It was too complicated. BTW, I believe that the cam control is just optional.

emasters wrote:Shonoob, I sent Waves a feature request that if head movement tracking is disabled and the plugin is loaded at startup (for me with Cubase in the Master/Monitor effects chain), to not start the head tracking app. Waves Support confirmed they passed this request along to the product team. It might not hurt if Waves hears this request from others, if it's something of interest. Not a big deal, but a bit annoying every time Cubase starts if NX is loaded.
I just sent in a feature request for this too.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

I used it as an effect to make the mix circle around your head by drawing automation to:

Pan the speaker locations very close together
Switch by pass off
Pan the head location knob so that the track circles around your head (looks like a sawtooth)
Switch bypass back on

Not earth-shaking, but interesting.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

rustman wrote:I used it as an effect to make the mix circle around your head by drawing automation to:

Switch by pass off
Pan the head location knob so that the track circles around your head (looks like a ramp wave)
Switch bypass back on

In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

I see what you did there. ;-)
I've often hit quote when I wanted to edit. :-)

Anyway, sorry for not looking for this myself, on the verge of sleep, but the webcam thing is optional and the plugin is comparable to isone and/or other headphone mixing plugins?
Edit: found the answers immediately when going back on this thread.
Last edited by gaf_thit on Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2NDMOUSE wrote:Sonarworks may be a better option for me.
Sonarworks and NX are completely different things. They're not replacements for each other but they do complement one another quite nicely. We're selling a bundle of NX + Sonarworks for $99:

http://www.jrrshop.com/waves-nx-sonarwo ... one-plugin

rustman wrote:I used it as an effect to make the mix circle around your head by drawing automation to:

Switch by pass off
Pan the head location knob so that the track circles around your head (looks like a sawtooth)
Switch bypass back on

Given that most people listen on headphones these days, I'm curious what would happen if people start releasing music with NX applied to it. If it's only applied to high-end content, I can imagine it sounding OK on speakers.

billcarroll wrote:
emasters wrote:Shonoob, I sent Waves a feature request that if head movement tracking is disabled and the plugin is loaded at startup (for me with Cubase in the Master/Monitor effects chain), to not start the head tracking app. Waves Support confirmed they passed this request along to the product team. It might not hurt if Waves hears this request from others, if it's something of interest. Not a big deal, but a bit annoying every time Cubase starts if NX is loaded.
The reply from Waves re: removing head tracking from startup ...
... you can drag the WavesHeadTracker.app outside from Applications->Waves->Plug-Ins V9

It will then not launch with the plugin -and you can launch it manually using double-click.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote:
billcarroll wrote:
The reply from Waves re: removing head tracking from startup ...
... you can drag the WavesHeadTracker.app outside from Applications->Waves->Plug-Ins V9

It will then not launch with the plugin -and you can launch it manually using double-click.
hey thanks for the heads up!

Anyone know how long Waves NX will be on introductory sale?

2NDMOUSE wrote:If this was JUST the $49 plugin, I'd be interested, but it seems it can't be used without the special webcam.
I don't have or want a webcam, especially a special $100 webcam.
Sonarworks may be a better option for me.
"Special webcam"... What are you talking about?? I'm running Nx flawlessly using my five year old SVGA clip-on webcam. There are equivalent (probably better) new webcams online for $30... and equivalents on eBay for $3. That's all you need. As long as your lighting in at your desk is decent, it works perfectly.

I think you're talking about the accelerometry-based wearable sensor that Waves sells if you really can't afford to worry about camera location or lighting - such as if you must mix in a darkened house or have to scoot around a large studio.

But from my experince, you absolutely do not need that for Nx to work perfectly and I'd never buy it unless I were in those situations.

Sonarworks is a different product that does a different thing entirely. Their headphone calibration plugin adds absolutely no spatial component at all. It's all about frequency correction.

Uncle E wrote:
2NDMOUSE wrote:Sonarworks may be a better option for me.
Sonarworks and NX are completely different things. They're not replacements for each other but they do complement one another quite nicely. We're selling a bundle of NX + Sonarworks for $99:

http://www.jrrshop.com/waves-nx-sonarwo ... one-plugin
Man I gotta make a habit out of stalking you Uncle cause I just bought those two for around 150$ :D

And I concur they do play very nice together. :party:
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

I bought both Nx and Goodhertz CanOpener. I monitor on speakers usually (martin logan SL3 electrostatics) and either AKG 240mk2 or Stax Lambda. I always diversify my monitoring and auditioning of tracks on a variety of sources before I release to ensure the master sounds good across the board.

In my opinion, Nx and CanOpener do entirely different things and so I consider both of them of value. CanOpener has a more accurate sound over-all than Nx and I use CanOpener either as an alternative monitoring tool to determine if the mix or master passes the crossfeed test, or to do critical listening while avoiding the headphone effect. I use Nx as an another alternate and to simulate listening in a room. I do not use ambiance or the webcam feature of Nx.

Then I found this and I agree with it as it matches my own experience: http://tonal.goodhertz.co/canopener-vs-nx/

Not to worry, I don't think one is better than the other as they really do different things - they were designed to do different thing: CanOpener was designed to be as accurate a cross feeder as possible and Nx was designed to simulate listneing in a room. I think they are both worth getting and I use them both equally often.

Return to “Effects”