TBProAudio releases AB_LM - Loudness Match and Gain Staging Plugin for Windows and Mac OS X

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ABLM2

Update to 1.4.1:
RMS modes changed: RMS->RMS sum, RMS+3->RMS avg

TB-ProAudio wrote:
lesha wrote:I think I was polite also?
Yes, no doubt, thank you. And your report led me finally to the point.
Oh, and my reports didn't?
Not even the ones from November 2015?

Oh... okay.

TB-ProAudio wrote:Update to 1.4.1:
RMS modes changed: RMS->RMS sum, RMS+3->RMS avg
Please go a bit more into detail what you mean with RMS+3 -> RMS avg?

To my understanding:
RMS+0 mode -> RMS sum == RMS+3/AES-17 compensation

But RMS+3 -> RMS avg would still read 3dB higher (read: 3dB offset), no?
Am I missing something? Or did you unlink the channels now for this mode? Seeing as you also changed this for all other plugins (according to the manual), a more in-depth description would be appreciated.

Once more - I can go into way more detail to finally iron this out (but I do prefer to do this in German at this point).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote: Please go a bit more into detail what you mean with RMS+3 -> RMS avg?
We just replaced "RMS+3" mode with "RMS avg". RMS avg is the RMS average over all channels.
What kind of details are you looking for?
How RMS avg is implemented?

So... it's not +3dB as it was before (RMS+3 plus additional 3dB offset)... but you use RMS+0/summed (your concept), take an average signal over x-time and then give out this value?

Sorry if this sounds picky to you, but the manual is really, really scarce on that.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

RMS Summed = RMS CH1 + RMS CH2;
RMS Averaged = (RMS CH1 + RMS CH2) / 2; ( in fact RMS Summed divided by number of channels)

I hope this helps.

TB-ProAudio wrote:I hope this helps.
Yes, that helps. In fact, let's sum it up.

RMS Summed = RMS CH1 + RMS CH2;

==> what is actually RMS+3/AES-17 (which is the fix we've been asking about)

RMS Averaged = (RMS CH1 + RMS CH2) / 2; ( in fact RMS Summed divided by number of channels)

The only confusing thing here is the /2, or /x-channels. Just for understanding purposes... since we want the "average" signal strength, shouldn't we talk "square root"? Could be mistaken however (weekend, brain shutdown, etc).

Compyfox wrote:The only confusing thing here is the /2, or /x-channels. Just for understanding purposes... since we want the "average" signal strength, shouldn't we talk "square root"? Could be mistaken however (weekend, brain shutdown, etc).
Its simple: Average of 2 values -14 and -16 is -15.
(-14 + -16)/2 = -30/2 = -15.
It is not limited to RMS :wink:

BTW: RMS is already squared.

Right - brain shutdown then. Thanks for making this clear (maybe even more so in the manuals, to those that do look closer).

Guess only time will tell how well this overhaul is being taken. So good luck on that end. Will keep my eyes on your tools.

Compyfox wrote:Right - brain shutdown then. Thanks for making this clear (maybe even more so in the manuals, to those that do look closer).

Guess only time will tell how well this overhaul is being taken. So good luck on that end. Will keep my eyes on your tools.
Thanks.

This might (will) sound stupid but I actually would love to see a super-simplified metering plugin, designed for the everyday, simple layman (ie: me) - a "Meter for Dummies" if you will :D It examines the audio and just straight tells me if my waveform is/is not within ideal tolerances for publishing on youtube, radio, etc.... in English - without all the decibel science and acronyms.

Excuse me for brainfarting here :) Please continue!

MogwaiBoy wrote:... a "Meter for Dummies" if you will :D It examines the audio and just straight tells me if my waveform is/is not within ideal tolerances for publishing on youtube, radio, etc.... in English - without all the decibel science and acronyms.
This is a good idea, but there are many "ideal tolerances for publishing" aka specifications (e.g. EBU R 128), maybe too many.
I know there a specific test programs for applications like "Ready for iTunes".

I've yet to see the "test program" for "Mastering for iTunes", and I did contact Apple a couple of times at this point.

The thing is, Apple has a different "requirement" to Spotify, SoundCloud is different, Youtube currently is around -16LUFS SLk to -12LUFS SLk, CDs are still at... whatever... and radio broadcasts are also still varying (depending on region, etc).

A save bet currently is anything between -16LUFS and -14LUFS SLk. Then again, that's my personal experience.

Update to V1.4.3
Fixed PDC bug

Can somebody please tell me where this thing installs itself?

Update. Never mind. I missed seeing the folder option the first time.

I think this plug-in here is very interesting!
--------------------

TheoM wrote:I really love how this can display latency. Finally in logic for the first time in 15 years we can see the exact latency of any particular plugin :tu:
(In BiduleVST: When you load a plugin there , it has an output-port with the latency in samples... hook up a monitor/readout, done. (BidulePlugin with Latency and Tail-time ports - inside Logic).. Just saying)
- WonderEcho -

Return to “Effects”