Izotope releases Neutron: "A smarter way to mix"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Neutrino Neutron 3 Standard

There's a new video course on Groove3, iZotope Neutron Explained. I've watched the first two videos and I'd say it's probably worth the $20 if you don't have an account.

nirm123 wrote:plexuss - I know it would come eventually, instead of being able to understand what I wrote or at least check it for yourself- calling me a troll :) yep, always the easy way.

I saw at least 6 tests results over the last 24 hours after I encouraged people to do the tests themselves (not only here) and most of these people point of view about the product was completely changed - if you think this is not important, it's OK, I beg to differ.

believe it or not, I care that people here will know the truth and for the 100th time, it's not about opinions !- I urge people to run tests and see for themselves or at least review other test results.

I ask you and others here not to mislead people (although I doubt that you have bad intentions as you genuinely seem to be naive about it) because I was frustrated that I myself was misled.

the even more interesting part of it is what does it say about many of us in here who claimed that the track assistant really made their mixes sound better, random presets (yes - it's true ! check this yourself) can really make our music sound better ? how comes it can ? how delusion are we by amazing GUI and impressive PR and videos.
how easy it is to fool us.

since I raised my doubts here ONLY because I wanted to contribute something valuable and now I see that it's being taken the wrong way in here, I will now switch to "read mode" - I think that people know enough to decide for themselves if this is something worth checking or not - my advice it to take 30 minutes and test it, it's not really difficult to do.

I never called izotope liars - as I really like and purchased some of their products, this is not only their fault, people who believe everything without checking have also responsibility.

last thing - jens, this one is for you. before judging other people in here - take a good look at yourself and your ridiculous behavior in here yesterday, not only toward me. calm down, don't get so angry when people prove you wrong, or just stay out of threads like this.
Everybody knows 3 things about KVR:

Even though it's mostly a decent place,

-you are going to be trolled
-you are going to be bullied
-you are going to misunderstand someone/somewhere or have others misunderstand you.

Opinions? We don't have time for opinions :hihi: Facts? That's even worse :lol:

Just go with the flow, next week, it will all be different :ud:

Now, for my opinion :D I'm not saying this is a crap product, hell I haven't even used it yet, but honestly, I watched that whole advertisement and just laughed my ass off. Reminded me of the guy with the fake switch between amps (or whatever it was) and people would be like "oh, such an astounding difference!" ;)

Some are going to like (which is awesome) some are not (which is awesome)

incubus wrote:Some are going to like (which is awesome) some are not (which is awesome)
Fine, but what about those who couldn't make up their mind? :ud:
Especially after reading this thread...

Guys
I have tried a few presets and I have noticed that Neutron tends to add mojo often.
Something like a silky/smooth/colored effect, which is not bad, but I'd like to control it.
For instance, just try to open The Glue and cranck it up, you should ear, more or less, what I mean.
Have to do other tests, but, in your opinion, what is going to add that effect: exciter section, vintag comp or neutrino?

Thanks.

And, yup. I am reading the manual! :D :lol: :hyper:

"Silky", "smooth" sounds like Neutrino but it could easily be the Exciter module.

Here's another Neutron tip. You know how you drag an EQ node to the top then slide it around looking for resonance or harshness? Did you know you can hold down the Alt/Option key to solo that EQ band? Yes, just like in that other EQ plugin.

Well, it just keeps on getting better. In Neutron, you can Alt/Option-click anywhere in the background and drag a 'virtual' node without moving any existing ones.

I posted the screenshots because I felt that obviously the assistant is doing something. It isn't just a set preset. It is obviously based on a preset and I would honestly expect it to be. I am new to izotope's mixing/mastering plugins. I've used the very first version of RX and thought it was good but I owned Peaks Soundsoap pro (got on a great deal) and RX seemed better but not enough better to justify another investment.
Last year I was able to get Nectar elements for a great price and found I liked it in most cases better than the Waves signature vocals set I had bought. I have most of IK's stuff and that's where I got started but IK never put out a vocal specific set of plugs. Many of their plugs could be used for Vocals but I was inexperienced and trying to learn and was looking for something that targeted vocals.
Izotope had some sales recently and for various reason I was able to get the MPB 1 for an great price. I was mostly interested in Nectar 2 but decided the deal made the rest of the plugs too good a deal to turn down. Very quickly I felt I was getting a much better mix using izotope rather than IK. It was much more subtle but overall it just sounded better to me.
I'm just a hack who has been doing this for nearly 40 years. I'm still a hack but Neutron helps me tremendously at this early stage of using it. It gives me a start to focus on for frequencies that could be problematic. My ears are not so good anymore.
Long winded way of saying, right now, I am very satisfied with Neutron!
Surfing, skateboarding, Music Making Man and tech fool.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

A little semi-OT (I've opened so many 3Ds lately that I don't want to overload the server, so I am going to ask here, since it's going to be related)

I have looked into Ozone, R Final Mix and Neutron. A part from listening mode, different presets (maybe), track assistant and dither mode,
what kind of difference there are between them? I can't clearly identify them.

Ozone is more for mastering and has more modules than Neutron. It only automates finding xover points in multi-band tools. It includes a high quality digital suite as well a dexent analogue maodeled suit inckuding eq, dynamics, spacial, spectral and master output tools.

Neutron as a smaller suite of 4 tools and includes more automation of parameters. it is more of a tracking tool than a mastering tool. it supports interaction across tracks.

Both Ozone and Neutron have a more expensive advanced package where the modules also come as independent plugins as well as being available within the product plugin UI.

I don't have RX final mix but from what I gather is a limiter for broadcast multichannel use (??)

Track assistant aside, it's a damn nice channel strip and given the awesome integration of the user interface across multiple tracks it will probably become my new default mixing EQ.

I made some test, it is true that for some material the suggested starting points are identical except for the settings of some filters in the eq and threshold for compressor.

On the other hand I like the results from using it, my mix sounds bright and well balanced, maybe too bright. But I am also worried that it could be detrimental to learn to properly eq and compress material relying too much on its suggestions.

I did like the sound from the exciter and transient shaper, I don't have a transient shaper right now.

I already got trash2 second hand in order to get Neutron through a crossgrade but I am very hesitant. Do I get neutron? or maybe get some two other plugs I have wanted for a a long time (Replika xt and DS10 transient shaper) and continue using live eq and compressor?

My demo expires today so I doubt I will continue testing it.
dedication to flying

Neutron can give fairly good starting points if you're pressed for time, but it shouldn't be used as a black box. It can and will trip up on some kick drum and bassline combinations that the AI does not quite know how to handle. Like all tools, use it to complement your existing work flows. The ear is King. As a channel strip Alloy is still quite useful.

rod_zero wrote:I made some test, it is true that for some material the suggested starting points are identical except for the settings of some filters in the eq and threshold for compressor.

On the other hand I like the results from using it, my mix sounds bright and well balanced, maybe too bright. But I am also worried that it could be detrimental to learn to properly eq and compress material relying too much on its suggestions.

I did like the sound from the exciter and transient shaper, I don't have a transient shaper right now.

I already got trash2 second hand in order to get Neutron through a crossgrade but I am very hesitant. Do I get neutron? or maybe get some two other plugs I have wanted for a a long time (Replika xt and DS10 transient shaper) and continue using live eq and compressor?

Is the crossgrade an introductory price? Or will it always be available?

ghettosynth wrote:
rod_zero wrote:I made some test, it is true that for some material the suggested starting points are identical except for the settings of some filters in the eq and threshold for compressor.

Is the crossgrade an introductory price? Or will it always be available?

The crossgrade will always be avaible but at full price, 149, right now you can get it for 99.
dedication to flying

Return to “Effects”