Youlean Loudness Meter 2 - V2.5.2 - April 25, 2022 update

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Youlean Loudness Meter

With stereo metering I mean a meter that would show levels for both channels separately.
Yes, it makes sense to be able to resize the graph, but I did feel it would be nice to be able to make the whole UI a bit smaller. The controls at the bottom for example are quite big.

Youlean's tp value falls in between the peak values shown per channel in other plugins, less than the louder channel and more than the quieter.

.jon wrote:With stereo metering I mean a meter that would show levels for both channels separately.
Yes, it makes sense to be able to resize the graph, but I did feel it would be nice to be able to make the whole UI a bit smaller. The controls at the bottom for example are quite big.

Youlean's tp value falls in between the peak values shown per channel in other plugins, less than the louder channel and more than the quieter.
OK, why showing level values for channels separately is that important? Making UI bigger or smaller will come in the future...
TP metering it seams to be broken. I will fix that. Thanks for the bug report!

youlean wrote:
sinkmusic wrote:Hi.
I get a runtime error (Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library) whenever i start playback (Reaper5, Win10 64bit) :(
Fixed for the next update. ;)
Does that mean that the installer is now installing the MS Runtime library too? If so, which one? Or was it some other bug?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:
youlean wrote:
sinkmusic wrote:Hi.
I get a runtime error (Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library) whenever i start playback (Reaper5, Win10 64bit) :(
Fixed for the next update. ;)
Does that mean that the installer is now installing the MS Runtime library too? If so, which one? Or was it some other bug?
No, this was some other bug there plugin would try to write to a memory that shouldn't...

Just installed YLM (VST2 and AU) on MB Air, 10.9.5 and tried it in Live 9.6.2 (VST) and also in Twisted Wave 1.17.3 (AU).

My first reaction was: – I'm an idiot!

Well, I may still be, but… nothing moves in the displays. I mean – nothing at all! No moving graphics whatsoever, when I send audio through YLM. I can click the controls and select alternative settings, but no values are being shown.

Just to check myself, I downloaded the Melda Loudness Meter and was relieved no end to see the various meters and displays jumping around where I had previously put YLM.

I hope that it is something simple, because I like the layout of YLM much better than the Melda one.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:Just installed YLM (VST2 and AU) on MB Air, 10.9.5 and tried it in Live 9.6.2 (VST) and also in Twisted Wave 1.17.3 (AU).

My first reaction was: – I'm an idiot!

Well, I may still be, but… nothing moves in the displays. I mean – nothing at all! No moving graphics whatsoever, when I send audio through YLM. I can click the controls and select alternative settings, but no values are being shown.

Just to check myself, I downloaded the Melda Loudness Meter and was relieved no end to see the various meters and displays jumping around where I had previously put YLM.

I hope that it is something simple, because I like the layout of YLM much better than the Melda one.

/Joachim
VST2 works here in Live. Though AU crashes Live. I will investigate this... Thanks for the bug report!

youlean wrote:OK, why showing level values for channels separately is that important? Making UI bigger or smaller will come in the future...
I wouldn't say stereo meters are extremely important, but I find them useful and quite standard these days, they just portray more information without any drawbacks I can think of. I think it's cool to see if either channel is constantly higher than the other, for example, might be something worth adjusting.

Spitfire31 wrote:Well, I may still be, but… nothing moves in the displays. I mean – nothing at all! No moving graphics whatsoever, when I send audio through YLM. I can click the controls and select alternative settings, but no values are being shown.
I have the same problem, in FL Studio, Bitwig and Reaper (Windows 10, VST2 64bit, version 1.0.1). I also tested the 32bit version in Bitwig, and changing the sample rate to 44.1kHz instead of my usual 48k, with the same result (UI functional but nothing appears in the meters and graphs).

.jon wrote:
youlean wrote:OK, why showing level values for channels separately is that important? Making UI bigger or smaller will come in the future...
I wouldn't say stereo meters are extremely important, but I find them useful and quite standard these days, they just portray more information without any drawbacks I can think of. I think it's cool to see if either channel is constantly higher than the other, for example, might be something worth adjusting.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will consider adding this in future versions.

drakmaniso wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:Well, I may still be, but… nothing moves in the displays. I mean – nothing at all! No moving graphics whatsoever, when I send audio through YLM. I can click the controls and select alternative settings, but no values are being shown.
I have the same problem, in FL Studio, Bitwig and Reaper (Windows 10, VST2 64bit, version 1.0.1). I also tested the 32bit version in Bitwig, and changing the sample rate to 44.1kHz instead of my usual 48k, with the same result (UI functional but nothing appears in the meters and graphs).
Are you using MAC? Sorry for encountering bugs. I didn't imagine that plugin would be that much buggy. If I did, I wouldn't release it. Anyways, now I will make sure to fix all bugs as soon as possible! :dog:

Took me a few minutes to realize the transport in my DAW needed to be running for the meter to start recording/displaying data. Not sure if that is intended behaviour, but it might explain the people who say the meter doesn't display anything.

Dozius wrote:Took me a few minutes to realize the transport in my DAW needed to be running for the meter to start recording/displaying data. Not sure if that is intended behaviour, but it might explain the people who say the meter doesn't display anything.
Good catch! So maybe I'm a half-wit after all. ;-) Never thought of that, since the free (but somewhat crippled until bought) Melda Loudness plug doesn't require the transport to run.

I've explored some more on my travel rig (Macbook Air 2013, 8GB RAM, Mac OS Mavericks 10.9.5):

Live 9.6.1:
VST works as expected (if transport runs ;-) ).
AU kills Live dead during instantiation. I can send the crash log if useful.

Logic 10.2.2:
AU works as expected.

Twisted Wave 1.17.3:
VST loads but shows no activity
AU loads and shows initial values in upper left green fields but no movement and no activity in display window. If playback is stopped and resumed, the ‘green fields’ values disappear and nothing moves.

DP 7 (32 bit only):
AU works as expected.

Studio One 3:
AU and VST work as expected.

DSP Quattro 4.4 (32 bit only):
VST loads but shows no activity.
AU throws exception and will not load.

/Joachim
Last edited by Spitfire31 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

double post…

Dozius wrote:Took me a few minutes to realize the transport in my DAW needed to be running for the meter to start recording/displaying data. Not sure if that is intended behaviour, but it might explain the people who say the meter doesn't display anything.
Now I feel like an idiot. :lol: Yes, for me at least, that was the problem...

Maybe the meters could work even when the transport is off, this would make it obvious that the plugin is working and that some additional step is required?

Other than that, I really like the plugin! A few remarks:

- It seems there is no way to change the reference level of the relative scale? "Split" only changes the coloring...
- I don't think the values should reset when the transport loops, this makes it impossible to get the loudness of individual clips or loops;
- I love the histogram on the side of the graph! I would like to see the ML shown there too, as this help evaluating the dynamic of a track;
- Finally, for nitpicking about the UI: I think the interface would be easier to read with a bit of color coding: eg use green/red for ML, blue/purple for SL. The same colors should be used in the meters, the graphs and the values, this would make it easy to connect the various part of the interface.

Bought you balancer a while ago. Will it be a paid upgrade?
Will check this as well, your work with FL Patcher was very impressive. :)
no sig

Return to “Effects”