What's your favorite reverb, and for which purpose?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another one using VintageVerb. I also use Cubase's Revelation, it suits my style of music, which tends to be on the slow side.

Interesting that no one seems to be using Lexicon. I wonder why? They're not so expensive, these days, not like the $1000 when released. Maybe they're just old?

Googly Smythe wrote:Interesting that no one seems to be using Lexicon. I wonder why? They're not so expensive, these days, not like the $1000 when released. Maybe they're just old?
It was mentioned on the first page.

I don't use Lexicon PCM because I already have that sound covered with (IMO) better plugins, such as Relab LX480, ValhallaVintageVerb, and Exponential Audio R2.

My number one reverb for most things is Exponential Audio Nimbus, but I also use several others regularly. ValhallaPlate covers me quite well for classic plate/chamber sounds.

Actually, i would have bought the inexpensive Lexicon one (LXP?) when it was on a sale, but, obviously, it needed USB iLok, so, i refrained from buying it. Shame, if it had been software iLok, i surely would have grabbed it.

Also always watched the 2CAudio reverb, but, they're a bit off my budget, and, i think they require USB iLok too, so, that's that. They seem to be of great quality though, i really like the sound demos.

comfortablynick wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:Interesting that no one seems to be using Lexicon. I wonder why? They're not so expensive, these days, not like the $1000 when released. Maybe they're just old?
Oops. :oops:

I am still waiting for UAD (or someone) to release a Bricasti M7.

Maybe this is the year!

Oh god :dog:

I can't even imagine how much that would cost, the cpu consumption, or which company would bring it fourth and if anyone would actually believe it's like the real thing :lol:

incubus wrote:Oh god :dog:

I can't even imagine how much that would cost, the cpu consumption, or which company would bring it fourth and if anyone would actually believe it's like the real thing :lol:
AFAIK, it won't happen. There's a discussion about this over at gs.

It's not the same thing, of course, but the Bricasti impulses for Reverberate are nice.

Ultraverb: general roominess/decay

Relab LX480 Complete: any time I want to get creative, plates, etc...high diffusion

Liquid Sonics Reverbate CM: originally found it too high cpu, but that turned out to be FL Studio related..I switched back to Cubase and it's great there. For 'real' roominess / slight layer

*light mix in of any built in verbs/delays that sound right.

Valhalla Room and Cubase's own Revelation for normal use

Valhalla Shimmer for melodic ambient

RealtimeOnly Reverbical and Melda MultibandConvolution for getting inspired and effects
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

Googly Smythe wrote:
comfortablynick wrote:
Oops. :oops:
Lexicon vst's are buggy here. Well, not worth the running cost. I have a clone on my top list that I use often though..the one by Relab :) I love Lexicon, just need to expand my outboard components once I get the money.

Valhalla Vintage Verb , I like it on everything , I like the 70s and 80s mode on it and not the modern mode .
Honorable mention . Artsacoustic Reverb .. demo'd it forever but just never purchased it , it was really easy to tweak .

It seems that reverb is the most popular audio effect.

Which do more than just reverb but when pushed do some
interesting or weird or crazy or other worldly musical
effect. Perhaps even totally mangle the audio but in
a musical way so it no longer resembles the original.

Some things I'm using regularly:

1. ValhallaVintageVerb: Nonlin on rock snares, just about any other algorithm can end up in a mix depending on the vibe. Sounds especially great on synths, or when I need a colorful verb.

2. ValhallaPlate: When I want a more old-school vibe. Can end up on vocals, guitars, drums...

3. Exponential Audio Nimbus: This one has been all over drums, guitars, vocals, keys...anywhere really. Can be a fantastic workhorse. This adds a nice sheen and glue to mixes. Very high class sound.

4. ValhallaShimmer: Great for big washy "Blackhole-esque" reverbs. One of those things I don't use a lot, but when I do it sounds great.

5. Slate VerbSuite Classics: This is my newest verb, and I was VERY surprised by this. I normally stay away from anything convolution based, but this sounds incredibly alive and is highly tweakable. Some consistently amazing presets from many different boxes. Might be a desert island type pick because of the diversity. Works on everything.

Stuff I still have that gets used sparingly, if at all, these days and why...

6. Eventide Stereo Room 2016: My first high-end reverb plugin back when Princeton Digital was still distributing it. Still sounds great. Always meant to use it more...

7. Valhalla Room: Prior to Nimbus, this was my go-to for cleaner type rooms, but Nimbus glues things better and adds that sheen.

8. IKMM CSR: Honestly, ValhallaVintageVerb replaced this one just about everywhere.

9. UAD EMT 140/250: ValhallaPlate does a better 140 than the UA version, and ValhallaVintageVerb's Sanctuary (? - not at my DAW right now) does the 250 thing well-enough that it wasn't worth the added latency of the UAD.

10. SKNote Verbtone: Did a nice plate, but wouldn't run at a low buffer without crackles so didn't get much use.

11. Acon Digital Reverberate CM: This one sounds very realistic to my ears, even with the limited CM version controls, and will get used on rare occasion when I want to put percussion or tambourine "in a real room."

Next up...Relab's VSR-24. Looking forward to trying that one out. Oddly enough, I don't feel like I use a ton of reverb but I seem to have compiled a lot over the years.

Re: Bricasti.
We know the hardware Bricasti reverb has additional CPU power to process complex algorithms. However, if you really like the complexity of the Bricasti M7 reverb, try Reverberate2. Their IR packs include the first generation M7 IRs available online, plus M7 IRs from a newer second generation algorithm that features a higher degree of modulation. As I understand it, their sampling approach and dual-stereo process enables the IRs to more closely reproduce the way the Bricasti varies over time. Anyway, it sounds very nice.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote:Re: Bricasti.
We know the hardware Bricasti reverb has additional CPU power to process complex algorithms. However, if you really like the complexity of the Bricasti M7 reverb, try Reverberate2. Their IR packs include the first generation M7 IRs available online, plus M7 IRs from a newer second generation algorithm that features a higher degree of modulation. As I understand it, their sampling approach and dual-stereo process enables the IRs to more closely reproduce the way the Bricasti varies over time. Anyway, it sounds very nice.
Those Reverberate Briscati IR's are also available as a free additional download in the Slate VerbSuite Classic since Liquidsonics designed both. From what I can gather, the Slate plug is basically a simplified and rebranded Reverberate2 with different IR's. Reverberate2 seems to have a lot more flexibility and controls though.

Return to “Effects”