AudioThing Outer Space - Tape Echo - NEW v2.0

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Outer Space

resurrection wrote:That's how it's supposed to be, that's why it's called 'dry'.
Oh man! Are you in for some fun when you discover what a mix knob can do. Picture, if you can, a knob that allows the user to blend some musical 'greys' in between the two extremes of black (dry) and white (wet). It's not even like it's a fixed, middle setting, but sweepable, and allows the user to choose a setting that keeps just the right amount of dry as to be distinct, but not so much as to get lost in the wet mix. The mix knob can turn a delay feedback that seems just bolted onto the end of a dry signal, into an almost-organic tail to the original signal.

Let us know if you ever get to try it :tu:
resurrection wrote:You could use parallel configuration with both echos set to wet only, one without feedback, other with as much as you want. And no 'dry'.
One of my main reasons for wanting to use inserts is to simply automation workflow, and to keep all control on one gui, rather than having to worry about separate send automation tracks etc. Your suggestion, while appreciated, just complicates things even further :shrug:

Thanks!

resurrection wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:The dry signal never gets enveloped/swallowed into the loop :shrug:

That's how it's supposed to be, that's why it's called 'dry'.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:In the above scenario, the effect always sounds like it's just layered on top of the dry signal, which just remains too 'clean'.

You could use parallel configuration with both echos set to wet only, one without feedback, other with as much as you want. And no 'dry'.

acousticglue wrote:If use Reaper it has mix knob for every plugin
That would certainly be a handy feature to have :tu:

Look, this is a delay unit that has a sound - lo-fi, no highs, repeat modulation, etc. Of course it will sound like pasted on cleaner sources. A dry-wet in this case is not going to work, no matter how you turn it. That's why I'm suggesting this parallel configuration - - - if you want the sound of a space delay in your tracks. If all you want is just some delay - any number of digital delays, or pimped up 'older' models would do. You could use dry-wet on them as much as you want. But put this behind Serum or Largo - and it's not going to work.

resurrection wrote:Look, this is a delay unit that has a sound - lo-fi, no highs, repeat modulation, etc. Of course it will sound like pasted on cleaner sources. A dry-wet in this case is not going to work, no matter how you turn it. That's why I'm suggesting this parallel configuration - - - if you want the sound of a space delay in your tracks. If all you want is just some delay - any number of digital delays, or pimped up 'older' models would do. You could use dry-wet on them as much as you want. But put this behind Serum or Largo - and it's not going to work.
I'm happy to use it as it is given for some things, as I appreciate that sound. I also appreciate how a hybrid approach would also be useful for me. Given the amount of modification this plugin has received (How did you say? ..."Pimped up"), now is not the time to get all purist about what the unit is supposed to be.

I also explained why your parallel suggestion was another workflow step that I wanted to try to eradicate, for specific reasons (I am grateful for the suggestion, though :tu:). And I already said that I would just continue to use other delays when I wanted that functionality, so not sure why you need to suggest that to me again :shrug:

Ultimately, I already made the feature request, and it was declined. So, that's that!

Is the AudioThing site down? - it seems to be, from this part of the world, anyway, at the moment.

(Edit) Very busy line - after 1h attempt, I got through. Outer Space buyers?
Anyway, the product is great, and when registering, I noticed that last April update for the MiniBit, I hadn´t installed. :)

audiothing wrote:You can try to push the Input knob more and adjust the Output accordingly, especially with the Pre-Amp on (HQ turned on as well to make it a bit more "rich").
I've been fiddling around a bit more, and I'm a lot closer to what I was looking for. On the sound I'm working on, i still prefer Outer Space on 'send', and even prefer Echoboy on send for this particular preset, but it's now a lot closer. One thing that gives the nod to Outer Space in this scenario is the ducking function.

I'll keep on experimenting :tu:

I just updated the NKS template for this to reflect the changes but do I need to resave all the patches again or just add the new ones (which I've done already)? I notice there are now legacy versions of the originals too - so have the original patches been changed?
Last edited by aMUSEd on Sat May 19, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Awesome update! Thank you for continuining to provide free updates to customers. The Outer Space updates in particular have been very generous because you've added so much! :hail:

Russell Grand wrote:The Outer Space updates in particular have been very generous because you've added so much! :hail:
Great point! It's almost hard to remember that Outer Space started out as Outer Verb. It's come a very long way. Thanks Audio Thing!

e@rs wrote:'Improved: CPU performance on both Echo and Reverb sections': how improved?
Both sections use less CPU than the previous version as we have optimized the code a lot. Especially the Reverb that with the HQ mode was definitely too heavy.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

Harry_HH wrote:Is the AudioThing site down? - it seems to be, from this part of the world, anyway, at the moment.

(Edit) Very busy line - after 1h attempt, I got through. Outer Space buyers?
Anyway, the product is great, and when registering, I noticed that last April update for the MiniBit, I hadn´t installed. :)
Yeah, the server was under heavy load due to the update. It should be fine now :)
I'm glad that you liked the update for miniBit as well!

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
audiothing wrote:You can try to push the Input knob more and adjust the Output accordingly, especially with the Pre-Amp on (HQ turned on as well to make it a bit more "rich").
I've been fiddling around a bit more, and I'm a lot closer to what I was looking for. On the sound I'm working on, i still prefer Outer Space on 'send', and even prefer Echoboy on send for this particular preset, but it's now a lot closer. One thing that gives the nod to Outer Space in this scenario is the ducking function.

I'll keep on experimenting :tu:
Cool. If you find the right sound, just post it here, I'm really curious to hear what you were after :)

The ducking parameter was added after a little frustation with one of the tapes I've tried. I can't remember which one, but there was this small section of tape (just a few seconds long) with heavy volume drops :)

aMUSEd wrote:I just updated the NKS template for this to reflect the changes but do I need to resave all the patches again or just add the new ones (which I've done already)? I notice there are now legacy versions of the originals too - so have the original patches been changed?
I might have slightly changed a few parameters, but 99% should be exactly the same. The legacy folder is just there as we have changed the preset path on both Mac and PC, so the plugin will just copy over the previous presets in that folder.

Russell Grand wrote:Awesome update! Thank you for continuining to provide free updates to customers. The Outer Space updates in particular have been very generous because you've added so much! :hail:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Great point! It's almost hard to remember that Outer Space started out as Outer Verb. It's come a very long way. Thanks Audio Thing!
Yeah, Outer Verb! I'm still very interested in spring reverbs (the main reason why I wanted to do Outer Verb!). I've been collecting them for a while now, especially unsual/odd ones like this one called Great British Spring. You can see it in action here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BiQUcUPAW2v/

audiothing wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:I just updated the NKS template for this to reflect the changes but do I need to resave all the patches again or just add the new ones (which I've done already)? I notice there are now legacy versions of the originals too - so have the original patches been changed?
I might have slightly changed a few parameters, but 99% should be exactly the same. The legacy folder is just there as we have changed the preset path on both Mac and PC, so the plugin will just copy over the previous presets in that folder.
So it might be best then if I just resave them with the new versions and delete the legacy folder??

Return to “Effects”