Plugin Alliance: The End of the Loophole!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kenobi77 wrote:It's an interesting situation, what price and what promo methods would encourage the most spend? The companies have the data their side, and know what's working.
Yes they have the data, but, I'm not convinced that they always make a valid interpretation of that data. Not that it's necessary mind you, any interpretation that preserves their bottom line is correct enough. However, given that I've seen them change their minds fairly quickly on changes to their policies, my suspicion is that they are caught between a rock and a hard spot on this.

They can kill the policies that they didn't realize that people would exploit, but that will probably also kill a huge part of that long tail of sales at a huge discount. How many people spent $100 or so during one of their sales that they wouldn't have spent with PA otherwise? If those people were taking advantage of these loopholes then it's a mistake to think that by eliminating the loopholes that you going to keep any significant portion of those sales.

If PA thinks that those people will just say "well, ok, we shouldn't have been buying so many green-screamers anyway, LOL, we'll pay more to be more fair to you" then they're delusional. Those people are just going to take their money elsewhere.

ghettosynth wrote:
kenobi77 wrote:It's an interesting situation, what price and what promo methods would encourage the most spend? The companies have the data their side, and know what's working.
Yes they have the data, but, I'm not convinced that they always make a valid interpretation of that data. Not that it's necessary mind you, any interpretation that preserves their bottom line is correct enough. However, given that I've seen them change their minds fairly quickly on changes to their policies, my suspicion is that they are caught between a rock and a hard spot on this.

They can kill the policies that they didn't realize that people would exploit, but that will probably also kill a huge part of that long tail of sales at a huge discount. How many people spent $100 or so during one of their sales that they wouldn't have spent with PA otherwise? If those people were taking advantage of these loopholes then it's a mistake to think that by eliminating the loopholes that you going to keep any significant portion of those sales.

If PA thinks that those people will just say "well, ok, we shouldn't have been buying so many green-screamers anyway, LOL, we'll pay more to be more fair to you" then they're delusional. Those people are just going to take their money elsewhere.

I agree.

I am somewhere in between. I never put a low-price special in the cart which I already had had and I certainly never added one twice.

But I nonetheless made good use of them - added them just to drop the price. This month - even though having two vouchers (35$ and 25$), I'll probably end up not purchasing anything. What good is a voucher if I can't use it to turn a so-so deal into one that resembles a no-brainer?

I already have multiple high-quality plugins for every category they offer (often from their own portfolio), so I'm certainly not willing to spend much on my 375th compressor or amp-sim.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:But I nonetheless made good use of them - added them just to drop the price. This month - even though having two vouchers (35$ and 25$), I'll probably end up not purchasing anything. What good is a voucher if I can't use it to turn a so-so deal into one that resembles a no-brainer?
In this case the voucher is useless. Which is fine. I have almost all PA's plugins and I get a $75 voucher. I was able to use it this month for a sale product I didn't happen to have. But after this, I pretty much have everything I want. Next month if they issue me a voucher and new plugin is not released that I want, then the voucher will either expire unused or I will give it away/sell it.

The voucher is a privledge not an entitlement. You yanks need to understand the difference because you often think everything is an entitlement. :party:

Last edited by ghettosynth on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

plexuss wrote: You yanks
*lol*

I'm German...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

In a way I feel for them (all)... the competition has really become stiff and the market is certeinly over-saturated.

e.g. I could get the Softube Volume 1 bundle for ~250€ right now and I won't go for it... albeit it would be less than 25€ per plugin it's no good for me because I have far too many plugins already anyway and it's still a relatively big chunk of money at once... so even though I constantly suffer from severe G.A.S., it has become progressively difficult for plugin makers to pull the chekels outta my pocket - and I have no reason to assume I'm in the minority here.
Last edited by jens on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: So what's he going on about then?
I would say it was a perfectly failed attempt at a really cheap shot...

jens wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: So what's he going on about then?
I would say it was a perfectly failed attempt at a really cheap shot...
\

It was definitely a cheap shot. But I don't think it was a complete failure. :)

Last edited by ghettosynth on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

double post....
Last edited by ghettosynth on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

With me, it's actually hitting a point where price isn't the biggest cost anymore. As I have limited time for music the distraction of sales and demos from productive time of creation or learning is a bigger issue. I've even ignored free plugins at times, let alone no brainers. While I do enjoy keeping up to date with the latest goings on in the music creation world and others experiences, much of that here, I tend to keep my interest/trust in a few devs, with PA being one of them. Otherwise I find my efforts are spent reading about plugins and demoing rather than improving and enjoying the creation process. However, I'm someone who gets easily distracted and coupled with the lack of time I need to have these disciplines.

kenobi77 wrote:With me, it's actually hitting a point where price isn't the biggest cost anymore. As I have limited time for music the distraction of sales and demos from productive time of creation or learning is a bigger issue. I've even ignored free plugins at times, let alone no brainers.
True. Too many vendors, too many releases, too many updates. I skim emails and delete them if it's not totally revolutionary.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”