j37 vs satin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can we please get an emulator of a dot matrix printer? Maybe throw in a daisy wheel as a bonus? But it will sound like crap if it doesn't factor in the perforated edges of the paper.

For a bit more dirt, I recommend Satin through a tube screamer or five.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Urs wrote:It's *not* true that developers at u-he are locked up in the basement closet :tantrum:
SaschaHelp.jpg
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Much love for Satin on my part cannot say the same about the other company :D
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

deastman wrote:Can we please get an emulator of a dot matrix printer? Maybe throw in a daisy wheel as a bonus? But it will sound like crap if it doesn't factor in the perforated edges of the paper.

For a bit more dirt, I recommend Satin through a tube screamer or five.
A printer sound preset done in Bazille would be interesting as well.

Urs wrote:It's *not* true that developers at u-he are locked up in the basement closet :tantrum:
You know -- great achievements require great sacrifices. Approximately one locked man year per plugin.
Murderous duck!

You guys are very unfair on the J37 plugin. The engineers at Abbey Road wouldn't have signed it off if it didn't sound like their inhouse tape machines. The J37 is based on the custom tape formulations and modified machine they use at Abbey so it just probably doesn't sound like the tape you are/were using back in the day.

Kramer tape sounds more like an effect. Whilst J37 is very subtle when used properly and sounds very close to real tape imo.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote:You guys are very unfair on the J37 plugin.
At quick glance, there's just one post of someone saying he didn't like it. No-one said it didn't sound like those tape machines they're supposed to be modelled on, unless I missed something.

What's happening however is that the marketing mechanism of "price high, sell cheap" is spiraling down to its end. No one takes the high price serious anymore. Sustainability looks different.

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bought J37 during the sale and have to say it does some rather nice kind of "enhancing" just running audio through it. The delay is the icing on top.

Waves did good.

Urs wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:
realmarco wrote:the j37 is a plugin of the actual machines the beatles used at abbey road.

did Uhe actually go there to measure the machines ?
or was is just a lets-look-at-the-circuit-blueprints

what i like about softubes is that they have videos on how they develop their plugins thats what U-he is missing imo
This makes a valid point.
So if we post a video with one of our guys listening to a Studer with an oscilloscope draped in the background, Satin miraculously sounds better?
i was thinking more of a marketing standpoint.

Like i want model X of X brand tape recorder

i bought the Studer and J37 plugins because i wanted a studer A800 anda J37 tape recorder ITB

and i want proof that it does sound like it
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Then the concept of Satin does probably not comply fully, since no modeling after a specific device was done (I suppose we communicated it often enough). The model underneath is generic, so it can take on lots of different shapes. There's not much sense in visually marketing our internal workflow. Doing countless hours of measuring, dissecting equipment, deciphering, drawing and understanding circuits is often not that attracting to end users, at least when things become ugly and head-spinning. It's not like we keep things good looking and easy to grasp, for the sake of a video shoot. At least we're most interested in getting a job done properly. Our labs and desks are mainly working places. Maybe we consider presenting ideas or concepts more in-depth or appealing on the way to an end product, but it's not as easy as just pointing a cam at someone here.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

realmarco wrote:and i want proof that it does sound like it
Fair enough.

If you think Satin lacks any proof, read the user manual. It's not copy pasted from Wikipedia or anything, it's written by the developer, in his own words, from the knowledge he gathered doing tape plug-ins before Satin, and while Satin was developed. Every detail is modelled and verifyable against the knowledge and standard literature about tape.

Most other tape plug-ins could, for all we know, just be a bunch of EQ curves, a tad of compression and a little hint of distortion. And many we checked out, simply are. Those have no underlying model. They exhibit the correct frequency response for the correct source material, but they diverge as soon as you drive them a bit more or as soon as the input material has the wrong spectral content. Some don't behave like tape at all.

Urs wrote:
realmarco wrote:and i want proof that it does sound like it
Fair enough.

If you think Satin lacks any proof, read the user manual. It's not copy pasted from Wikipedia or anything, it's written by the developer, in his own words, from the knowledge he gathered doing tape plug-ins before Satin, and while Satin was developed. Every detail is modelled and verifyable against the knowledge and standard literature about tape.

Most other tape plug-ins could, for all we know, just be a bunch of EQ curves, a tad of compression and a little hint of distortion. And many we checked out, simply are. Those have no underlying model. They exhibit the correct frequency response for the correct source material, but they diverge as soon as you drive them a bit more or as soon as the input material has the wrong spectral content. Some don't behave like tape at all.
yes well i usually take a look at a youtube advertisement then something that explains how they did it and then a review.

i then purchase and then i read the manual...everybody hates reading manuals
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Yeah... we might need to make better demos. Just takes so much stupid time/money we'd rather put into development.

Urs wrote:What's happening however is that the marketing mechanism of "price high, sell cheap" is spiraling down to its end. No one takes the high price serious anymore. Sustainability looks different.
Maybe they can afford it. Last time I checked (a few days ago), Waves was very popular. :wink:

(Not using anything Waves, or u-he, so I'm not biased.)

realmarco wrote:everybody hates reading manuals
Not true for me at least. The first place I go is the manual: it has to describe the workings and limitations of a product. It's the place I find that has the least amount of marketing and spin and actually covers what the thing does.

And sometimes you get cool tips, tricks, or history of the devices being imitated.

To each their own I suppose.
Feel free to call me Brian.

Return to “Effects”