waves api2500, is there a way to turn it off with automation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i have sound in the background even when my project is stopped (sonar), and the problem is that vst. theres no mix wet dry on off option? ty

Automate the "in" button. If you dont like the noise, disable the analog switch.

Or you can put a noise gate/ expander on the signal to mute the noise in silences. Old school style.

SeeingInMidi wrote:disable the analog switch.
This. Easy. :tu:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote:
Unless the Analog switch is providing an agreeable improvement. It’s a subjective thing. Even the world class engineers have varying opinions on this.

simon.a.billington wrote:
ramseysounds wrote:
Unless the Analog switch is providing an agreeable improvement. It’s a subjective thing. Even the world class engineers have varying opinions on this.
Agreed, but my response was in direct reply to the OP.

ramseysounds wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:
ramseysounds wrote:
Agreed, but my response was in direct reply to the OP.
Yep. And it’s certainky the easiest option worth considering, providing it’s the source of their issues.

If you don't need the noise, just turn analog off.
If you need the noise, use a gate.
If then a gate doesn't work or sound good for you, automate volume.

It can be bad to turn on and off the noise. If it's only on one channel in a dense mix, you won't notice the difference. The noise level is very low. But if you have a lot of those channels = the noise is piling up and then you turn off the noise "with a click", let's say in a quite part of the song. That won't sound good.

I have automation templates for such channels. It's only copy paste and a few clicks, plus eventually dragging down the noise in certain parts of the song. That's a mixer's life. Never the same situation. You always have to decide.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Can anyone else actually hear this noise in their projects?
I regularly use 3 or 4 on groups (in Cubase, and with analog turned on) and, obviously with no input, the channel meters read -~ ie silence. Ergo, no noise. Even when I put an instance of REDD in front, with the drive turned up.
Just sayin'.
And, er, asking.

Googly Smythe wrote:Can anyone else actually hear this noise in their projects?
I regularly use 3 or 4 on groups (in Cubase, and with analog turned on) and, obviously with no input, the channel meters read -~ ie silence. Ergo, no noise. Even when I put an instance of REDD in front, with the drive turned up.
Just sayin'.
And, er, asking.
I too seem to have little issues. I think it’s a consequence of people slamming their tracks with compressors, possibly for parallel compression reasons.

Or they could be working with a lot of live “noisy” tracks and anything just added to that is more noticeable.

I must admit, I do find it intriguing as well.

This is an older plug, but are you guys aware that when you put Analog 'On' on this compressor, it adds a brickwall limiter after the Output volume, so you can absolutely slam the output with Analog on and get some interesting results. Just FYI since the discussion is about the Analog function, it's more than just simulated noise in this case. :party:
Chris H.

lunarchris1 wrote:This is an older plug, but are you guys aware that when you put Analog 'On' on this compressor, it adds a brickwall limiter after the Output volume, so you can absolutely slam the output with Analog on and get some interesting results. Just FYI since the discussion is about the Analog function, it's more than just simulated noise in this case. :party:
It has auto makeup, but I don't think there's a limiter there. I rather think Waves would mention it, somewhere... The manual just says that the Analog switch "turns on the analog modelling".

Googly Smythe wrote:Can anyone else actually hear this noise in their projects?
Just sayin'.
And, er, asking.
Yes, I can hear it.
It seems to be a standard Waves thing.
When you turn the analogue button on (or add 50/60 Hz on the CLA-2A for example) all that happens is it adds 'hiss' or 'noise'. The meters always hover above inf, never clear themselves. Turn analogue off and the meter goes clear. On Cubase by the way.

I don't know, I've heard folks talk about the brickwall limiter like it's a well known 'secret'. No matter how high you boost the output (the Manual output, obviously) with Analog on, it won't clip your meter. Try it out! :phones:
Chris H.

lunarchris1 wrote:I don't know, I've heard folks talk about the brickwall limiter like it's a well known 'secret'. No matter how high you boost the output (the Manual output, obviously) with Analog on, it won't clip your meter. Try it out! :phones:
I will - it's probably either a bug or an undocumented "feature". :)

Return to “Effects”