Anyone else put off by the upgrade prices to Ozone?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The upgrade prices are insane.
It's easy if you know how

Saw in my inbox: 25% off all iZotope upgrades. Thought - hmm, that would make the MPS upgrade around $225. "Log in to see your personal offer" they said. Greeted by this:
iZotope-Troll.png
Best troll of the year, iZotope. Bravo! :smack:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yes

I was able to get the MPB2 Upgrade from a Standard product for less than $200 earlier this year with some price matching and loyalty cash discounts. They're not getting another $300 out of me for 2 updated products. And I don't need RX6 that badly, either.

The other stuff in the MPB2 bundle: Nectar 2 PS, Trash 2, etc., haven't seen any real feature updates for quite some time, it seems. VocalSynth is still on version 1.0., for instance. Wonder if the rest of the "suite" is going to become abandonware and they'll continue to forge ahead while only caring about Ozone and Neutron?

I think it's a bad sign that they renamed the bundle. And the price and timing of it seems like obvious milking. I have MPB2 with O7A and N1A since the upgrade deal. Since the plugins introduce latency they aren't as usable to me as a Swiss army knife kind of toolkit. I would only ever use them after the song is done and that doesn't work well with my way of working. The other plugins are getting old. Since I have fabfilter complete bundle now, I'm considering ditching my iZotope stuff.

Their pricing is stupid if it puts customers off upgrading as it is for me. If I'd wanted RX I would have bought it by now, adding it to the bundle and changing its name just gives them an excuse to charge an unreasonable amount for something that would and should have been at most $99. Then to make matters worse you can just upgrade the Ozone and Neutron plugins but what they charge for that is even more ridiculous.

aMUSEd wrote:Their pricing is stupid if it puts customers off upgrading as it is for me. If I'd wanted RX I would have bought it by now, adding it to the bundle and changing its name just gives them an excuse to charge an unreasonable amount for something that would and should have been at most $99. Then to make matters worse you can just upgrade the Ozone and Neutron plugins but what they charge for that is even more ridiculous.

+1

I have, use, and love Ozone 7, RX 6, Nectar 2 Suite, and Neutron Elements. And that’s it for a couple years, methinks. It’s simply too expensive to upgrade. It all works, it sounds great... I can’t afford bleeding-edge.
Tom Smith
http://tomsmith.bandcamp.com - http://www.filkertom.com - http://www.thefump.com
Win10/64 - I5 3570K - 16 GB RAM - BIAB 2016 - Reaper 5 - Sound Forge Pro 9

Corporate greed screws the customers. Vote with your wallet.
It's easy if you know how

I do like the Ozone stuff, but the regularity of 'new' versions is effectively a subscription model. Whilst I accept that buying this years version doesn't mean I HAVE to upgrade, what it does mean is that it's much easier for a company to stop supporting older versions, effectively forcing the upgrade. You could end up with a 3 year old plugin that won't work on a new computer.

Particularly since iZotope plugins are 'high maintenance' and tend to break with OS updates. Spectron is unusable now for example.

When the first MPB deal came out, it seemed many here were willing to forget their various bad experiences and give the company a second chance. The perfect opportunity for iZotope to rebrand themselves in a more customer-friendly way. The first signs of the old tricks returning came a year later with MPB 2 and a new version of Ozone. The whole switch to MPS or O8N2 was enough to pretty much demonstrate that they hadn't really changed at all.

It's a shame cos their products are good. perhaps if they conducted themselves in a better less money-grabbing way they'd still be getting much love on this and other forums. Personally I'm glad i remained skeptical, there's enough alternatives out there that i can live without Ozone but they've lost a potential customer in me for Neutron.

I have Ozone 7 Advanced and Neutron 1 Advanced.
Izotope released Mac OS High Sierra compatibility statement and those plugins are not on the list. Ozone 8 and Neutron 2 are. And older plugins Nectar 2, Trash 2 are listed as fully compatible.
It seems Izotope didn’t care to check compatibility with those plugins, which have been released later than Nectar 2 and Trash 2.

So, after December is over, if I do a quick search for "iZotope" in my inbox, I count to 15 marketing emails received. Funny thing is, I have updated my so called "communications preferences" and unchecked all boxes, still got all those emails. Just now I noticed there's actually an Unsubscribe button (really small) at the bottom of that page. So basically all the other checkboxes doesn't matter at all. Obviously the next question is, how many days do you ppl think it's gonna be before they send their first "Start 2018 fresh with new Mastering tools!" email? My guess, within a few days..

So I came up with something the community could do to counter the flood of marketing emails. What they're basically doing is slowly lowering their price until they catch everyone at some price point. We could send them support emails with bids for the upgrade to O8N2 or the new bundle. Every day, send them an email with "Don't miss out on this great bid! Hurry up!" "I bid Z$ to upgrade from X to Y, hurry up, the bid is only valid for 24 hours! " And then later a new email "Don't drop the ball!" and so forth... It would obviously only be funny if a lot of people did it so probably not gonna happen.

mrj1nx wrote: So I came up with something the community could do to counter the flood of marketing emails. What they're basically doing is slowly lowering their price until they catch everyone at some price point. We could send them support emails with bids for the upgrade to O8N2 or the new bundle. Every day, send them an email with "Don't miss out on this great bid! Hurry up!" "I bid Z$ to upgrade from X to Y, hurry up, the bid is only valid for 24 hours! " And then later a new email "Don't drop the ball!" and so forth... It would obviously only be funny if a lot of people did it so probably not gonna happen.
:D :D :D

I´d love that!

Return to “Effects”