Fuse Audio Labs releases the VCL-4 Vintage Opto Leveler

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I still don't understand this copy protection: as it is said that it is a serial, why does have a drive be authorized ?

rasmusklump wrote:I still don't understand this copy protection: as it is said that it is a serial, why does have a drive be authorized ?
Which one do you mean? The Fuse stuff currently doesn't require the selection of a target drive.

As for the BRA system: It's convenient to store your authorizations on an external drive so you don't have to re-activate if you're moving between studios for instance, just if it were a dongle.

fuseaudiolabs wrote:
jbarish wrote:Hi Ray,
Demoing VCL-4 right now, and I'm enjoying it. The one thing that concerns me is that when pushing it really hard, aliasing seems to rear it's ugly head. Are there any plans to adding oversampling or compensate for this another way??
Hi jbarish,

You're right, the VCL-4 is not oversampled and the main focus besides accuracy of the modeling was to be light on the CPU given the moderate Audio path distortion involved unless you hit it really hard. Currently, there are no plans to add oversampling, so I'm afraid you'll have to resort to higher sample rates if this is really bothering you.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Ray
Just an FYI, since this is a new venture for you, I'd prefer the type of system where I could go from zero-latency (no oversampling) to oversampling enabled, or oversampling on render. In a tracking situation, I want absolutely no latency, but when it comes down to mixing I'd easily tolerate a few ms here and there. I haven't run into audible aliasing yet, but having an option to easily deal with it within the plugin would be nice. Even if it's just on future products. Anyway, I had bought yesterday and I'm quite happy with it.

fuseaudiolabs wrote:
rasmusklump wrote:I still don't understand this copy protection: as it is said that it is a serial, why does have a drive be authorized ?
Which one do you mean? The Fuse stuff currently doesn't require the selection of a target drive.

As for the BRA system: It's convenient to store your authorizations on an external drive so you don't have to re-activate if you're moving between studios for instance, just if it were a dongle.

You said earlier that BRA also are not C/R anymore, so why the need to authorize something ?

rasmusklump wrote:
fuseaudiolabs wrote:

You said earlier that BRA also are not C/R anymore, so why the need to authorize something ?
That's right, the BRA plugins simply require you to enter your serial, while Challenge/Response requires contacting an authorization server during the activation which neither the BRA nor Fuse products do.

Hope this helps.

I don't recall running into aliasing in my BRA plugs. Would you say VCL-4 exhibits more aliasing than the BRA products you've worked on??
I hope you'll be able to implement oversampling at some point. I work at 44.1 and 96k is not feasible for me right now.

Thanks to Marcus at Machine City Audio for this nice VCL-4 review on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjATz2S86B4

Everyone that's insterested in some brief technical background information on the modeling process, go check Igor's review / my comments under http://nc-rec.com/blog/fuse-audio-labs-vcl-4.

Enjoy :)

fuseaudiolabs wrote:Everyone that's insterested in some brief technical background information on the modeling process, go check Igor's review / my comments under http://nc-rec.com/blog/fuse-audio-labs-vcl-4.

Enjoy :)
I'd be very interested in answer to my question from yesterday:
jbarish wrote:I don't recall running into aliasing in my BRA plugs. Would you say VCL-4 exhibits more aliasing than the BRA products you've worked on?? I hope you'll be able to implement oversampling at some point. I work at 44.1 and 96k is not feasible for me right now.

rasmusklump wrote:
fuseaudiolabs wrote:

Some folks, like me, move around to different computers/studios.

It's easier to have my licenses available for activation on a dongle. Using a pure serial method means that I have to manually authorize and deauthorize things constantly.

BRA supports a system that lets me store my license on a portable drive. All I need to do is plug in that drive and everything works. It's very convenient for me.

This doesn't mean that it's C/R or dongle, it's just an alternative way of storing the license once the serial has activated it.

Indeed. It's an amazingly friendly and awesome system. Truly best of both worlds! And you can safely install the plugins on at least 2 different computers (of course ones that YOU own and not use at the same time).

By the way, I don't think I've said it here yet but this plugin sounds absolutely ridiculously amazing! Truly loving it here! Now if there only was a wet/dry knob for it. It's FANTASTIC in parallel on almost any source. I've yet to find a sound source that wasn't slightly improved by this plugin, even in tiny doses.

I use Reaper so I have a built in wet/dry for every single plugin but I think a lot of people are missing out because the feature can't be found on the plugin itself. Fuse Audio Labs, come on, do it!! Stop sticking to "authentic" and get with the times. It's 2018! Wet/Dry on everything!. :D

Cheers for making this awesome plugin!
bM
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

What this plugin misses is oversampling since it aliases (2x to 16x both on render plus realtime)...and it misses mix knob. Without those two things I really dont want to see a compressor anymore.

jbarish wrote: I'd be very interested in answer to my question from yesterday:
jbarish wrote:I don't recall running into aliasing in my BRA plugs. Would you say VCL-4 exhibits more aliasing than the BRA products you've worked on?? I hope you'll be able to implement oversampling at some point. I work at 44.1 and 96k is not feasible for me right now.
I think I answered that on p2: viewtopic.php?p=6991747#p6991747

HcDoom wrote:What this plugin misses is oversampling since it aliases (2x to 16x both on render plus realtime)...and it misses mix knob. Without those two things I really dont want to see a compressor anymore.
Ok.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

fuseaudiolabs wrote:
jbarish wrote: I'd be very interested in answer to my question from yesterday:
I think I answered that on p2: viewtopic.php?p=6991747#p6991747
Actually you didn't. You focused on my mentioning the oversampling instead of answering the preceding question about aliasing in comparison to BRA plugs. It's OK though, you're free ignore potential customers inquiries or suggestions. It is a bit telling about you and your company, however.

Return to “Effects”