question about bus compression / mastering

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i think the main problem i find with compressing the master track is that you inevitably change the dynamics of the track slightly. Most compressors aren't designed like brickwall limiters - they're just not fast enough. The volume envelope changes slightly. I'm not sure why they don't make something that is super fast like a limiter but has a variable ratio. Why are there 1000 different compressors but nothing that is half way to a limiter? There are a few exceptions of course.

Google ClipShifter, read the manual, it clips with an adjustable ratio.

It is much more subtle to use a little bit of compression and limiting on all the tracks and on the master fader so that all of them work in a transparent away.
If you are only using it on the master fader, you run in the the risk of having one track overpowering the rest and pushing super hard against the limiter

lol just realised how retarded my previous post sounds "compressing inevitably changes the dynamics..." i think it would have been better to say it changes the shape of the transients or changes the volume envelope.

thanks for the heads up re clipshifter, looks good

Return to “Production Techniques”