stereo piano sounds bad in mono

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

Been spending some hours doing web research and experiments with plugins, not satisfied with results.

I have a sampled piano that sounds good enough on the left and right channels and great in stereo but has phasing problems when I move the channels into each other. Boxy hollow sound. I want it to sound good in mono.

I'm mainly delaying the left (bass side) channel with Logic's sample delay and at 177 samples delay there is hardly any phase cancelling but it still sounds a bit like there's a notch filter (the further I move the left channel the higher the dip gets) and at the same time, delaying the left side this much sounds like the sound is coming from the right side.

I do some testing with BX Solo: whatever I do, the left and right channels on their own sound better then the Mid mix or the Mono mix when using the piano in mono.

I guess it has something to do with the strings never being at the same distance of the microphones, causing different phase problems per key.

Any advice? The L+R channels together really capture the character of the instrument so I don't want to have to choose :P
MBP i5 2.5Ghz | iMac c2d 2.4Ghz | G5 2.3Ghz DP | iBook 1.42Ghz | OSX 10.4.11/10.5.8/10.6.8/10.8.5 | Logic 9.1.8 | Komplete 7 | Kore 2.14 | Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 | Waves Platinum | Mackie Onyx 1220/fw interface

You havent said why you dont want to use stereo...

Because it needs to sound good in a mono mix of the track.
MBP i5 2.5Ghz | iMac c2d 2.4Ghz | G5 2.3Ghz DP | iBook 1.42Ghz | OSX 10.4.11/10.5.8/10.6.8/10.8.5 | Logic 9.1.8 | Komplete 7 | Kore 2.14 | Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 | Waves Platinum | Mackie Onyx 1220/fw interface

Because it needs to sound good in a mono mix of the track.
Oh yes, it does. The perfect mix sounds pretty much the same in mono and stereo, just narrower.
You can achieve the correct result combining multiband and mid-side processing. The lower frequency, the more mid component is necessary. On the opposite side, above certain frequency people are not able to perceive sound phase anyway, so you can go full to the side.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Load up a mid-side plugin. Turn the volume of the side channel down all the way so all you hear is the mid channel. That should do the trick.

DJ Warmonger wrote: You can achieve the correct result combining multiband and mid-side processing. The lower frequency, the more mid component is necessary. On the opposite side, above certain frequency people are not able to perceive sound phase anyway, so you can go full to the side.
Thanks! So I need a good mid/side multiband compressor? Any suggestions? Only m/s compressor I have is the IK Multimedia Vintage 670. It already helps. Now I'm going to play with Waves H-EQ, also works as m/s EQ.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Load up a mid-side plugin. Turn the volume of the side channel down all the way so all you hear is the mid channel. That should do the trick.
In this case, the mid channel sounds as bad as the side channel and the mono mix :)

You can try a different set of samples, try a phase alignment tool like the Little Labs IBP (voxengo has one, so does Waves), or just live with it not sounding great in mono. There's not a lot of times where someone will be listening in mono anyway.

If you ever do need a mono mix, you can create a separate one using a different piano entirely.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:You can try a different set of samples, try a phase alignment tool like the Little Labs IBP (voxengo has one, so does Waves), or just live with it not sounding great in mono. There's not a lot of times where someone will be listening in mono anyway.

If you ever do need a mono mix, you can create a separate one using a different piano entirely.
Thanks, will look into these plugins, was hoping I had enough stuff to solve this :D

nielsdolieslager wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Load up a mid-side plugin. Turn the volume of the side channel down all the way so all you hear is the mid channel. That should do the trick.
In this case, the mid channel sounds as bad as the side channel and the mono mix :)
I think mid channel = mono mix ?

What about separating the left and right channel and using dual mono to pan them SLIGHTLY opposite? :?:

Melodyshine wrote:
nielsdolieslager wrote:
I think mid channel = mono mix ?
I'm not sure, I thought the mid channel has the shared sound of L and R minus the difference.

Tricky-Loops wrote:What about separating the left and right channel and using dual mono to pan them SLIGHTLY opposite? :?:
That's useable when I delay the left side, but it doesn't get as good as the stereo recording. Had also been playing with S1 by Waves.

nielsdolieslager wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:What about separating the left and right channel and using dual mono to pan them SLIGHTLY opposite? :?:
That's useable when I delay the left side, but it doesn't get as good as the stereo recording. Had also been playing with S1 by Waves.
Checkout Waves InPhase too.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
nielsdolieslager wrote:
Checkout Waves InPhase too.
will do :)

Return to “Production Techniques”