baseline compression

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In my mix I have a solid baseline atm but it is a bit too loud in the mix. I want it to be a little quieter but to sit better with the mix. Do I use compression for this? Is so should I compress it during the mixdown or should I wait and compress it during the mastering stage?? Help is greatly appreciated!!

Is this a bassline played via MIDI triggering a synth VSTi ?

Then you can do a lot apart from compression to alter it to sit better in the mix.

(altering note velocity, changing envelopes/filter etc. on the synth).

In other words you can alter the sound source directly which is always my first approach before using compression.

If this doesn't give you the desired results, than yes, compression is also a way.
Then I'd compress it already during mixdown, because at the mastering stage, it's obvious that you compress the track as a whole and not just the bassline (it's bassline not baseline btw. ;)), (unless you're using a multi-band compressor).

Thanks for the reply! Yes it is a synth vsti but with three separate basslines! Any tips for editing the envelopes to make them sit better! Yes I was thinking about the multi band compressor btw. I'll experiment a bit and post results.

If the Bassline is too loud, the best thing to do is turn the bass volume down on mixer. Compression helps tame Bass, giving it a controlled sound.

If there are a lot of other parts at same time as bass with snappy attack, maybe use envelope with a longer sustain on synth & comp with fast attack to flatten bass notes and balance it out. Or if if bass is too bold masking other notes pull back sustain a little and have decay on bass synth low to create more of a plucked sound. This can be reinforced with Comp set to slow attack(20-30ms) and a quick release.

Compression tends to make your bassline and especially bassline louder. First try to fit your bassline in the mix with other methods, such as mentioned volume control, EQ and sidechain + dynamics. You will bring it back to high levels later.
Alternatively, you may want to work with your favourite mastering plugins on to give you an idea what would your final mix be.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

sidechaining it and turning the dynamics down a bit as well layering a piano synth over it did the trick! Thanks for the advice

Have you set the bass to mono and put it in the middle? That often helps in terms of special separation.

I think the right EQ settings can also improve basslines a lot, set them apart from other instruments with lower frequency content. A good 3-band EQ like the one included in Spire works miracles :)

Layering the bass and a piano patch is an unusual solution, how would that help?! :?

Return to “Production Techniques”