Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@fox - drop it buddy, you have explained it many times, those who don't get it will never get it.

@hibidy - You have posted multiple times that rules pissed you off, it's daunting, blah blah blah.. but you never really provided any clear answer as to which one and never really helped in making it simple. Whereas Eric, Compy and some others clarified some rules to make easier for you and everyone else. It seems to me you don't even know the answer yourself and just trying to be spoilsport. If that's what you are trying to be then I would request you to refrain from it as it's not helping anyone. Seriously, it creates a negative atmosphere which is not very healthy.

Rules are necessary to maintain discipline and set the playing field same for everyone otherwise it will be chaotic.

Also, I would request you not to post your track in the submission or voting thread. Contest is over, if you want get some criticism on your track then music cafe is the best place.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

I reviewed the rules in MC01 again today, to simplify it further, I propose the following changes. I will go section by section:

1. Current Challenge - General information
- Move the "please take a note.." paragraph to mix competition rules
- Move "maximum signal level.." part to mix competition rules section
- Remove "voting starts" section entirely, it should go in voting thread when it's up

2. Official Rules
- Remove " General information" part entirely
- Remove "Song provider rules" entirely - This is applicable to only song providers. Put a simple instruction for song providers to contact either Compy, Eric or Me through PM, we will provide further instructions and rules through PM. or alternatively create another thread for this purpose only
- Move "Side note competition backups" part to mix competition rules

3. Mix competition rules
- I will go through it later to see if I can rewrite it in a simple way with less technical stuff

4. Mix rules addendum - Move it to mix competition rules

5. Uploading - This can be simplified. I will share the write up later. Should be moved into mix competition rules

6. Juding / Voting - Remove it entirely. It should go in voting thread when it's up

7. The Winner - Should we move it to voting thread? I am in dilemma on this, any thoughts?

8. Sponsors - Leave as it is, we will put small pictures of their logo in the post.

Once we have made these changes, we will end up with a small post which shouldn't be overwhelming for the participants.

@Compy, Eric - Let me know if you want me to create a template for the post. We can keep it in a text file, copy and paste in future comps.
I am also thinking of creating a website like OSC. I will work with Brian (bjporter - OSC boss) to find out more details.

I was away a few days so catching up on discussions.. I will cast my votes today
Website | Portfolio

hibidy wrote:ORLY?

Well, I'll leave you to it.
Perhaps I didn't make my request in a clear way. I'm asking that you help us create the rules for MC02. Will you take that on?

Just voted.

For the next MC's for voting I'd like to suggest providing a zip package with all submitted tracks, so we could easily import in the DAW and skip around and compare.

And to give a short general feedback to the mixes:
Not few I found had a problem with the very last part where the instruments came back it and buried the vocals a bit too much imo (volume automation could have probably solved this). (Subjective impression and matter of taste course...)

And finally thanks to Compyfox and Uncle E for starting this. :clap:

satYatunes wrote:I reviewed the rules in MC01 again today, to simplify it further, I propose the following changes. I will go section by section:
Thank you for your time you put into that.
I just invested 4 hours to rewrite and rearrange the rules, make them more clear.

The draft is way longer and currently in Eric's inbox. But this will be posted in a separate thread with 6 consecutive posts - and it will cover all Q's including(!) FAQ's. I also simplified things here and there, fleshed out some other stuff.

What you wrote was mainly aiming at the rules posted in the "Submission" thread. These rules will be dropped and instead get a LINK(!!!) to the global rules thread. This way it will be massively streamlined and the participants won't be overrun with a wall of text (I think this was the major turnoff).

Then again, nobody can then say "I didn't know the rules".

No_Use wrote:For the next MC's for voting I'd like to suggest providing a zip package with all submitted tracks, so we could easily import in the DAW and skip around and compare.
This is a GREAT idea - and I think I (or Eric) can do that.

Otherwise, Eric suggested to first collect all tracks and then upload the content to a global SoundCloud (his folder, I don't have an account). Hence the 3-4 days for checking songs and preparing the voting.

But I can still provide a WAV package (if there are enough WAV's) for easier A/Bing in a host. We'll see how this goes with MC02.

No_Use wrote:And to give a short general feedback to the mixes:
Not few I found had a problem with the very last part where the instruments came back it and buried the vocals a bit too much imo (volume automation could have probably solved this). (Subjective impression and matter of taste course...)
This can be adressed in the "Submission" thread from now on (prepared that rule as well).

No_Use wrote:And finally thanks to Compyfox and Uncle E for starting this. :clap:
Thanks for sticking up with me. :tu:

HINT AT MC02:
We'll get to work on a laid back electronic track. No vocals this time around.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

No_Use wrote:And finally thanks to Compyfox and Uncle E for starting this. :clap:
Thank you and thank you for voting! :)

I just updated the votes thread.

Now that android is out, we currently have a winner tie, maybe a definite second place, and various ties on third.

I'm curious how the votes will be in the end, and what vote will Eric cast in written form post the voting process.
This could be a close call for sure.

EDIT:
Some mix participants still haven't voted. Please hurry up, a bit over 28 hours left. Of course, bystanders are also allowed to vote. It's even WELCOME to do so. Make the game a bit more interesting.

EDIT2:
Changed the thread title of the "Submission" thread to "Submission Feedback and Q&A". Please direct all questions regarding the production into this thread, give feedback to the participants, etc.

Furthermore... I also updated the votes thread, and it's getting really exciting!
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

satYatunes wrote:@fox - drop it buddy, you have explained it many times, those who don't get it will never get it.

@hibidy - You have posted multiple times that rules pissed you off, it's daunting, blah blah blah.. but you never really provided any clear answer as to which one and never really helped in making it simple. Whereas Eric, Compy and some others clarified some rules to make easier for you and everyone else. It seems to me you don't even know the answer yourself and just trying to be spoilsport. If that's what you are trying to be then I would request you to refrain from it as it's not helping anyone. Seriously, it creates a negative atmosphere which is not very healthy.

Rules are necessary to maintain discipline and set the playing field same for everyone otherwise it will be chaotic.

Also, I would request you not to post your track in the submission or voting thread. Contest is over, if you want get some criticism on your track then music cafe is the best place.
I have no idea how being one of MANY who have complained has got the three of you jumping on my back. Just because I have won't let it go?

Your perseverance tells me that you really have some suggestions for improvement and you really do care for this comp to get better otherwise you would have gone like others who complained and disappeared. You have said many times that the rules are bit too many but never gone to the next step of pointing out which one and why. I am just curious to know that's all, I have no other intention of calling out your name.

Secondly, compy is reworking on the whole rules stuff for next competition so your suggestions will be very much appreciated. This is the best time to share what's in your mind.
Website | Portfolio

I forgot to edit this, sorry. Just me being bitter over nothing important.
Last edited by hibidy on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alright guys, from complete sincerity, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to spam your thread with all my anger and piss a bunch of people off. I'm not making excuses as to why I did or anything else, but I over-reacted, so again, sorry.

Did we miss something? It appears the head has been severed from this thread...

The rules only look endless. :hihi: Most of them are pretty common sense though, nothing out of the ordinary.

Compyfox is suspended. Any idea what happened?
Website | Portfolio

That's an unfortunate development. Does anyone know how to tally the votes without the author of the thread present?

Return to “Production Techniques”