KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC02, July 2014 - Submissions Feedback and Q&A

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So if 1 more person enters, 2 prizes will become available?

Uncle E wrote:So if 1 more person enters, 2 prizes will become available?
Yes.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

I am still planning to submit an entry :)

I'll have a enough time to finish tonight and then have a listen in the morning before the deadline (but not much time for corrections :roll: )

Lovely material to practice on too. Nice one Satya :tu:

satYatunes wrote:
Uncle E wrote:So if 1 more person enters, 2 prizes will become available?
Yes.
To be precise, 2 prices, 3 winners (podium)

Less than 12 hours left.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Okay it's late here so I'll post the links and complete the descriptive stuff tomorrow morning. I hope that I have managed to comply with a least a couple of the rules :lol:

Here are the links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p08xqislnm6ef ... 0H-man.mp3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wiwm41eynchx0 ... 0H-man.wav

Back-story: In short, I scrapped the first two attempts at this due to the fact that I just ended up going a little troppo on the effects. This is is pretty lush with the reverb but quite restrained (i think) for the rest.

Mixing details:

PADS:

All three Pads were grouped:
Tone Boosters EQ was placed on each of the three tracks (low cut on each to approx. 200Hz as well as some specific dips on the louder frequencies and some high shelving as well)
UltraChannel (Lush pads preset) and Slick EQ were placed on the group track to try to bind in all together

Pianos:

Both Piano parts were grouped and a send added from this group bus to a return with TB Reverb and T-Racks Quad Image. As you can hear, the pianos are pretty wet.
Again, both the piano tracks got TB Comp and TB EQ however I did not EQ the lead Piano at all in the end.

The middle section (1:10 on my track) has MFM2 (Warm Panning Ambience) on the group bus. I automated the "WET" settings so that it only occurs during this middle section. It comes back on at the end of the track

FX:

The three FX tracks were set up very similarly to the pads detailed above and the whole group was turned down quite a bit. There is however, LPX Chamber Reverb on the Group bus

Bass:

Bass ARP: T-Racks Quad image to mono and boost below 350Hz as well as some drastic EQ in the upper frequencies to remove the clicks

Bass Combo truck: This is a real combo in terms of frequencies. UltraChannel was used to add low shelf and a touch of Micro Pitch Shift to add some interest to what almost sounds like strings in the upper frequencies

Percussion:

Groups were made of the Snares, Hats and "Extras" (Rim and brush). The Kick was treated separately.

Snares: A little EQ at around 200Hz on both. Pultec, 1176 and Room reverb

Hats: The open Hat was EQ'ed pretty hard to take the ring out of it. 1176 and Slick EQ on the group bus

Kick: Low shelf boost and dip at approx 250Hz. 1176 with a fast attack and release.

Extras: Doesn't really matter as I accidentally left this group turned down :roll: Can hardly be heard.

And finally, the ARP (Plucked sound):

EQ: Low Cut to 250Hz, bell cuts at 500Hz and 1kHz, T-Racks Quad Comp (Compress Mids) and a little bit of Plate (Small Plate) Reverb (LXP again).

After everything was balanced, Strip and Bus (Sknote) were added to each track with "light" settings. The only thing fancy was using the lead piano to duck the pads.

Finally, some manual volume automation was added here and there and Clariphonic was added to the Master to try to hide my mistakes.

That's about it. Good fun :)

EDIT: Extra track info added
Last edited by H-man on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nice tune Satya...

Here is what I did to it :

Grouped and compressed the drum elements and EQed the Kick high hats and brush.
Then Drumgroup -> ReaXcomp -> GTA_revC.

Monoized the bass, and shrunk the stereowidth on the Arp_Harp.

EQ boosted The piano and pad elements around 1.5KHz.

SlickEq and TLs Maximizer on the master.

Left the piano(s) in the back of the mix
'cause to me the leading part is the gated pad.

No reverb/delay other than the Aux Stems bundled with the project.

Hope you like it.

Mp3 : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/862 ... Yeager.mp3
Wav : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/862 ... Yeager.wav

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/135 ... verish.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/135 ... verish.wav

google drive links:
mp3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1cnad ... sp=sharing
wav
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1cnad ... sp=sharing

DRUM_Kicks_mono_dry: hp filter - compressor - low peak eq cut- low mid peak eq cut.

separate mid and side...
ARP_Arp bass_stereo_dry_NORM_-2dB mid: eq boost at 2,4k - compressor - eq boost at 65hz
ARP_Arp bass_stereo_dry_NORM_-2dB side: low cut - low mid cut - compressor

BASS_Combo truck_stereo_dry: low mid cut - compressor - sub bass boost - reverb

PAD_GATED_stereo_dry_NORM_-2dB: low shelf cut - low mid cut - hi freq boost - stereo expander

PAD_Heavenly_stereo_with_reverb: tilt eq - hp filter - compressor - stardipad

PAD_Verb funk_stereo_with_reverb: pancake2 - delay - eq - hp filter

PIANO_CHORDS_Up like right_stereo_dry: eq - delay

PIANO_MELODY_Up like right_stereo_dry: compressor - delay - reverb - hf filter - compressor

ARP_Harp_stereo_NORM_-2dB: eq - delay - reverb - compressor

DRUM_Brush_mono_dry: pan - eq

DRUM_Rimshot_mono_dry: pancake2 - cupwise radio smash - hp filter - transient designer

DRUM_OpenHH_mono_dry: eq - compressor - reverb - stereo expander

DRUM_HiHats_mono_dry: panner - eq - hp filter

DRUM_Snares_mono_dry: hp filter - eq - pan - reverb

DRUM_Snare 2_mono_dry: pan - eq - hp filter

BUS tracks processed with weird effects to add atmosphere

bomble!
Last edited by shroom feverish on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

My entry:
http://soundcloud.com/wesleyt/alien-lov ... hallenge-2

And a wav version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/133 ... er%203.wav

Mixed in Logic Pro X.

Supercharger GT on the kick; Black76 on the snares. The Glue and Equilibrium on the drum bus.

bx_control on the arp bass to fix the phase issue; CamelPhat tube distortion for character.

I found phase issues on both piano channels, so I used bx_control there as well.

I added Saturn to the piano melody for character.

I have four FX sends.

I used a high pass into Discord3 with a microshift and delay on the high drums for stereo effect.

Timeless as a quarter-note delay for the snares, rimshot, and melody.

Plate reverb on the drum bus.

2c B2 dynamic chamber for everything.

TB Buss Comp, bx_control to mono the bass under 75 Hz, and Pro-L on the master.
Last edited by wesleyt on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

Like last time, at the very last minute, my entry:
Alien Love MP3 Version (48/24, MP3, 5,2MB)
Alien Love WAV Version(48/24, WAV, 48MB)

Yes, I did use Dithering to get down to 24bit!

Some general information:
With this project, I had a focus on a more oldschool synth pop type sound. Think... late 80ies to mid 90ies. Though I didn't want to overdo it with the reverb, so it might sound like a 2000's mix.

I did have a lot of struggles with the FX, so in the end I did not use as much delay as I'd normally use, but rather reverb. Funny enough, a normal reverb worked better than a place that I used in MC01. I am also not happy with the percussion work. With the parallel processing, it sounds like as if there are some shifted tracks. Especially the "Brush" sound.

I used a ton of effects in this project. Actually, with about 9 hours on the "Project Time" clock, I did not expect that. Compared to MC01, I spent about as much time with barely 25 channels (incl. Subgroups for parallel processing, not counting the 6 extra AUX Send channels). Though just like last time, I barely used compression. At least not for drastic sound design. onlx got taming the signal stream.

The source material was great to begin with. Though I also used a mono channel for the ARP bass.

Speaking of parallel processing. I pulled off a couple of tricks to push the drums and the piano more forward without heavily utilizing compressors.

The drums use three parallel tracks (sub groups) where I send signal from the individual drum channels.
1) Drum Bus Parallel: uses a saturator, a compressor (with very agressive setting) and an EQ to roll off some frequencies
2) Drum Bus Lofi Snare: as the name says, a Lofi tool for messing with the snares - which did work surprisingly well to add some grit
3) Drum Bus Lofi Hats: since I wasn't happy with the balance of both the hats and the snare in the same parallel bus, I created an individual one

The piano got a similar treatment:
1) Piano Bus: runs through a parallel EQ, then into an overdriven saturator, then into an opto type compressor with about 5dB gain reduction.

But it doesn't end here. I wanted movement in the synths and the FX.
I heavily utilized TB_TimeMachine (automated), FXPansion Etch (because I can!)

In terms of taming the piano, I did a lot of tweaking. First and foremost, I ran it through my trusty bx_control, utilized the Mono Maker (up to 250Hz), narrowed the stereo field (chords down to 50%, melody to 25%), then slammed on some heavy EQing. Furthermore compression for the chords and a transient designer for the melody to get some acoustic piano feeling back. I also added a "harmonizer" in send to give it a bit more... let's say... "body"

My general weapons of choice:
EQ's:
- Focusright Midnight EQ
- Nomad Factory British NEQ-1972

Compressor / Transient Designer
- Focusrite Midnight
- IK Multimedia T-Racks CS Opto Comp
- Native Instruments Supercharger (drum bus)
- Sleepy Time Records Transient
- Steinberg Compressor (for sidechaining, since it's nothing special and I didn't want to mess with third party plugins and VST3)

Utilities:
- Brainworx bx_control v2
- Melda Production MBandPass
- Melda Production MUtility
- Melda Production MAnalyzer (just to check the pads)
- HOFA 4U Goniometer

Sound Design (Saturation, Distortion, Modulators)
- E-Phonic LOFI (rediscovered! Way more versatile than TAL Bitcrusher)
- FXPansion Etch
- Klanghelm SDRR (on ARP_Bass)
- ToneBoosters TimeMachine v3
- Slate Digital VCC Bus (Trident console)

Send FX:
- Arts Acoustic Reverb
- SoundToys LittleMicroshift
- TAL Chorus LX
- TAL Reverb 3
- Tone2 Warmverb (less usage than expected)

Mix Console view (screensize: 1680x1050, roughly 200kbit each):
Cubase Arranger View
Mix Console view - Channel 01 to Channel 16
Mix Console view - Channel 17to Channel 31 (plus Master Bus)

Please take note of the ASIO load (about 50% on the meter). Please also take note that I only show the inserts and the aux sends here. Not the pre-filter settings (gain). VUMT is mainly for monitoring the signal strength (gain staging is done with Cubase's pre-filter, no phase switch was used)

You might also realize that I use a somewhat unified layout for the FX. The first insert is pretty much always a VU, the second one is a saturator or general utility, the third might be a compressor/transient designer, the fourth slot is usually for EQ, the fifth for post compressor/transient designer, the sixth is for an additional sound shaper, utility, etc. I only wish Cubase had a horizontal bypass mode, like ProTools.

This layout rule does not apply to AUX Sends/Returns (violet fader caps), Group Channels (blue fader caps) and the master bus of course (red fader caps).

The sends also have a similar sorting. Except for the tracks that were sent "post-fader" to a group channel or sidechain compressor (see the layout mess for the drum channels)

EDIT 0:33am:
- Added Screenshots and some information about them
Last edited by Compyfox on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

It is 0:10 (GMT+1)

The KVR MC02 has officially ended!
Thanks for your participation - I hope you all had fun.

We have 12 entries
That means: 3 winners on the podium and 3 licenses to give away.

Those that missed to post their documentation, can still do so within the next 24hours. It is a mandatory requirement (please see the rules). So please add as much information as you're comfortable with. Or prepare the flood of questions that you might get. :tu:

Eric, Satya and I will analyze the tracks over the weekend, then upload them to SoundCloud and start a voting thread early next week. The voting will be "hidden" this time around, the voting rules will be adapted until then. So please keep an eye out for this thread and the "rule book".

Once the voting thread was created, this thread will be renamed into "Submission Feedback and Q&A". Feedback is definitely welcome, so are questions.

If you have general questions or want to give feedback, please do so in the official gossip thread.

We're also still looking for new tracks to mix. Especially in other genres than Synthesizer instrumentals. Personally I'd love to see a hip hop track, maybe even orchestra work with an opera singer. Generally content with vocals would be nice. So please keep it coming and get in touch with us if you have a track that you'd like to see as part of the Mix Challenge!

About the voting, just a little reminder of my suggestion to also provide a downloadable zip of all tracks fpr importing and comparing in the DAW, if possible. :)

We will keep that in mind. Thanks for the reminder.

EDIT:
ALL DROPBOX USERS ARE HEREBY ADVISED TO CHECK THEIR LINKS.

If we can't download your tracks, you're instantly disqualified. No exceptions. Users had severe issues with Dropbox with MC01 - I think we will ban it for MC03 if the issues continue. And apparently, I can't download ANY track submitted within the last 48 hours.

Users in question:
- wesleyt
- shroom feverish
- Yeager
- H-man

ERROR MESSAGE
Error
Something went wrong. Don't worry, your files are still safe and the Dropboxers have been notified. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.

I just checked the thread all around - NO DROPBOX link is working.

I have backups up until user No_Use on page 2.
Please get that sorted!

Sorry Compy, but when I rightclick and save as, all the files are downloadable, maybe the problem is on your side ?

Could be that Dropbox is massively overloaded.

I could snag the files from you, also from shroom feeverish and wesleyt (who didn't tag his files properly).
Dropbox is definitely not a fun system to use.

Speaking of the current MC (short personal resume):
While listening to the track about 2 hours later, I thought that I had a render issue since I barely heard the plate reverb I used for the snare. I double checked with test renderings and realized "boy, you messed up - the send signal is not loud enough". Can't be helped until I want to disqualify myself.

And I'm still not happy with the piano - though I heard some interesting concept by other users, even if this instrument is drowned in FX.

I hope my track is still enjoyable however.

Yeager wrote:Nice tune Satya...
Thank you sir :hug:
Yeager wrote: Left the piano(s) in the back of the mix
'cause to me the leading part is the gated pad.
Why did you do that :(. That's the lead part. I explained it in another post earlier. You might have missed it. Anyway, no worries. You did your thing and gave your personal touch, that's what matters. I love what you have done with the drums and percussion. Snare is snappy and Kick is well-rounded. Close to the original sound but better. Lead Piano is still prominent, which is a good thing. Only element that lacks clarity in your mix is the Piano chords and pads. Overall very good and a tough contender. Good luck.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Return to “Production Techniques”