KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC03 August 2014 - Voting period has ended, Winners announced (pg 17)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Marando wrote:
I like your sound, but there are some timing issues between certain audio tracks I'm afraid. It doesn't sound like you aligned them all correctly. :(
Hm...care to point me to the parts you mean? Fyi The vocal takes for chorus/verse are slightly offset intentionally to create the harmonies effect. And the main vocal line at e.g 16" and 24" is delayed by a 16th note. This is also on purpose as I thought that could create a bit of a layed back effect. But hey, I've been on a ferry on the north sea all night, so my ears might just be totally out of sync. :D
Let me know!

cheers
Frank

blind wrote:so far doc john is my favorite, putting final touches on mine, will post tomorrow before deadline
Oh man, I got competition with Jordan for this haha.

I'll see you at the finish, bro.

~Jay
music is life

hahaha, familiar heads are poppin outta the woodwork now

Nice to see you around Jay

Uncle E wrote:If you're referring to any other percussion, they're just samples with no effects on them. I did use Maschine's vintage sampling modes (SP1200 and MPC60 emulations) on the kick, snare, hi hats, crash, and toms, maybe that's causing the issues? Should I stop using those?
I did indeed mean the kick drum in this case.

If you use it for yourself - it's fine.
As "remote engineer" I just don't know why this is happening. Never had that behavior before.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Last edited by Grant S on Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Compyfox wrote:I did indeed mean the kick drum in this case.
It's a stock Maschine kick, which means they do a lot of pre-engineering on it. The transient is completely flattened out. On analysis of the sample, I did find that it starts about 1ms late. If you're cutting and moving things around to achieve this effect, this 1ms could be causing timing issues. If you're pitching it down, this 1ms could be getting longer, which would also cause comb filtering.

Fun mix!
FrankT wrote:I sliced the vocals so to adjust individual takes regarding positioning, doubling, delay, volume and panning. Using an effects chain of compression, EQ and reverb I tried to further stress the airy feel of Michelle's voice. Studio One Analog Delay was used as an events effect for echoing certain words. The analog delay is applied with varying feedback levels, panning the effect to the left and the right channel.
Yes, you did really interesting things switching between the spread vocals to the mono vocals. The delays, too. As Marando wrote, there are lots of timing issues with the vocals and even some other parts that seem to be moved around (the bass and reverse crash start late).
I heavily used automation throughout the song to get additional movement in the Mix. Automation channels were especially used for the Transitions and the Pads. Volume automation for e.g. bass and snare.
Really great automation of your panning! I can sort of tell this is a headphone mix because of how much attention you paid to this. I enjoyed that aspect a lot, in any case. :)
- Multiband Dynamics
- Limiter: -3db
FTR, please avoid using these in future Mix Challenges. We don't allow mastering and your mix will be softened down to match all the unmastered mixes, which may make yours sound not-so-great.

Last edited by Grant S on Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle E wrote:Fun mix!
FrankT wrote:I sliced the vocals so to adjust individual takes regarding positioning, doubling, delay, volume and panning. Using an effects chain of compression, EQ and reverb I tried to further stress the airy feel of Michelle's voice. Studio One Analog Delay was used as an events effect for echoing certain words. The analog delay is applied with varying feedback levels, panning the effect to the left and the right channel.
Yes, you did really interesting things switching between the spread vocals to the mono vocals. The delays, too. As Marando wrote, there are lots of timing issues with the vocals and even some other parts that seem to be moved around (the bass and reverse crash start late).
I heavily used automation throughout the song to get additional movement in the Mix. Automation channels were especially used for the Transitions and the Pads. Volume automation for e.g. bass and snare.
Really great automation of your panning! I can sort of tell this is a headphone mix because of how much attention you paid to this. I enjoyed that aspect a lot, in any case. :)
- Multiband Dynamics
FTR, please avoid using these in future Mix Challenges. We don't allow mastering and your mix will be softened down to match all the unmastered mixes, which may make yours sound not-so-great.
I only now read the guidelines :oops:
Re mastering plugs will know for next time!
Timing: I put your Soundcloud mix side to side and now know what you and Marando mean. Timings are not 100% in line with your original mix as - for reasons that have completely slipped my mind - I slightly shifted some stems. Hope that doesn't count as remixing!
Anyway: it was fun and thanks for the opportunity to work with your original files!

cheers
Frank

Uncle E wrote:
- Multiband Dynamics
I think a compressor on the summing bus to "glue things together" (SSL Mix Bus compressor glue trick) is okay. Since it's an artistic decision to compress the sum by 2dB gain reduction.

But applying Multiband compression and limiting already is indeed an absolute no-go.

Grant S wrote:Ops, so little time..... no mastering here ... unintentionally broke some other rules that probably disqualifies, but it was fun. Thanks for the opportunity to play with that voice.....
Sorry, but the challenge was extended twice, with huge bold letters. So there was and still still is plenty of time.

According to the rules, the first submission is final and will be used for the voting process.

And keep in mind, we also need the WAV file (mixdown) for a global collection, statistics and loudness normalization. Again, this is written in the guidelines/rules.

FrankT wrote:I only now read the guidelines :oops:
This is why they are always linked to in the first post of the thread!

Speaking of "time left":
The KVR MC03 ends in 4 days! (pacific daylight time)
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:
FrankT wrote:I only now read the guidelines :oops:
This is why they are always linked to in the first post of the thread!
I had a lovely view for mixing on Arran - but zero Internet connectivity:

https://www.dropbox.com/l/6rrmIiJpjeTGpdwWGN7Peu

:wink:

edit

FrankT wrote:I had a lovely view for mixing on Arran - but zero Internet connectivity:

https://www.dropbox.com/l/6rrmIiJpjeTGpdwWGN7Peu

:wink:
Clearly the inspiration for those ethereal sounding vocals! :)

Return to “Production Techniques”