24bit question...

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ok so im considering submitting some demos to a label and on their site they have a list of requirements for submissions, among them is this:

Do not send any submissions if you do not produce in 24bit.

my daw defaults at 32bit float when exporting wav files.

is that even what they are talking about?
cant i just change that setting and export to 24bit and send it on?
isnt 32bit float better anyway?

im confused.
ImageImageImage

32 bit float(ing point) is better, of course. I'd ask the record label whether they want to have it in 24 bit or in 32 bit...

chaosWyrM wrote: cant i just change that setting and export to 24bit and send it on?
Yeah sure.
chaosWyrM wrote: isnt 32bit float better anyway?
Not really and not all media players plays it. You do want to come off as someone who knows what he's doing so i suggest you do as they say.

Yeah, and they will know if you faked it by using a bit scope to check :roll:

jupiter8 wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote: cant i just change that setting and export to 24bit and send it on?
Yeah sure.
Not really and not all media players plays it. You do want to come off as someone who knows what he's doing so i suggest you do as they say.
well i do want to just do it the way they want. thats why im asking. if i just change the export options to 24bit...thats that right? or am i missing something

seems an odd requirement if its as simple as that.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:
jupiter8 wrote:
Yeah sure.
well i do want to just do it the way they want. thats why im asking. if i just change the export options to 24bit...thats that right? or am i missing something

It really may be "as simple as that". They may simply have put that stipulation in place to make sure they don't have to waste time converting 16-bit files to 24-bit ones (or for other reasons).

Which DAW are you using? Most give you the option for bit depth, sampling rate (and other things) when you render/export the final mix. Rendering the mix as a 24-bit file will do exactly what you want in this situation. You shouldn't even really use dithering when rendering, because the people you're sending it to may be reducing the bit rate again (to 16-bit), and they'll have to add dithering at that stage. You don't want to add dithering twice.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:
jupiter8 wrote:
Yeah sure.

It really may be "as simple as that". They may simply have put that stipulation in place to make sure they don't have to waste time converting 16-bit files to 24-bit ones (or for other reasons).

Which DAW are you using? Most give you the option for bit depth, sampling rate (and other things) when you render/export the final mix. Rendering the mix as a 24-bit file will do exactly what you want in this situation. You shouldn't even really use dithering when rendering, because the people you're sending it to may be reducing the bit rate again (to 16-bit), and they'll have to add dithering at that stage. You don't want to add dithering twice.

Steve

thnx for the info.

im using fl studio, which does give me those options, i mean its literally just clicking one drop down menu. i guess maybe just the wording makes it more confusing to me. they should probably simply request that any files sent be 24bit instead of saying dont send anything if you dont produce in 24bit.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:well i do want to just do it the way they want. thats why im asking. if i just change the export options to 24bit...thats that right? or am i missing something
Should be as easy as that.
chaosWyrM wrote:seems an odd requirement if its as simple as that.
It's a bit oddly worded i'll give you that.

I'm thinking the following,Dude comes into his office to check the latest demoes. Dumps this days catch into his computer->whateverlisteningdevice. That onlt y supports 24 bits for whatever reason. Imagine it's a 100 songs and 3 don't play. Do you think he'll go the extra mile and convert them or simply throw them away ?

Or he dumps it into PT which doesn't (or least didn't use to) support 32 bit float,same scenario there.

jupiter8 wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:well i do want to just do it the way they want. thats why im asking. if i just change the export options to 24bit...thats that right? or am i missing something
Should be as easy as that.
chaosWyrM wrote:seems an odd requirement if its as simple as that.
It's a bit oddly worded i'll give you that.

I'm thinking the following,Dude comes into his office to check the latest demoes. Dumps this days catch into his computer->whateverlisteningdevice. That onlt y supports 24 bits for whatever reason. Imagine it's a 100 songs and 3 don't play. Do you think he'll go the extra mile and convert them or simply throw them away ?

Or he dumps it into PT which doesn't (or least didn't use to) support 32 bit float,same scenario there.
hehe...im trying not to name names. i would think something like what you think as well...if the fact that they are a "24 bit (insert genre here) label..." wasnt the very first sentence in their "about" section on the website, and they didnt make it sound like if you dont purposely produce in 24bit they dont want to know you.

they kinda make it seem like that 24bit deal is special and important to them...so i thought i was just not groking something.
ImageImageImage

I had a label recently ask for a 16bit wav :?

Seems a bit weird but no big deal I guess...

The requirement totally makes no sense.
Firstly all DAWs do 32 bits or more internally.
Secondly 16 bits resolution is enough dynamic range if used correctly.

Sounds like a label of audiophile snobs with no technical knowledge, but if you want to join that club, by all means...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Do not send any submissions if you do not produce in 24bit.
IOW ~ don't send in MP3's, you "mixed" on your iPhone... just a thought.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

I think the nature of their request is about seperating the chaff from the wheat. That is: artists who send in overcompressed stuff without any headroom and people who care about their dynamic range.

If you always work in 32, exporting in 24 bit will just do it.
aka rktic. demoscener (Farbrausch, Holon, MFX, Still), sound designer, ux-dude, sth @AudioRealism, human synthesizer—not necessarily in that order.

32 bit float file is virtually identical to that of the 24 bit fixed format, it takes up more space, and is slower to data transfer.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

BertKoor wrote:The requirement totally makes no sense.
Firstly all DAWs do 32 bits or more internally.
Secondly 16 bits resolution is enough dynamic range if used correctly.

Sounds like a label of audiophile snobs with no technical knowledge, but if you want to join that club, by all means...

hehe...i completely agree with you.

on the other hand...this particular label is well known and respected within the niche genre it caters to. they do have quality artists and releases and a pretty good following to boot, soooo...yeah id still be interested.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Production Techniques”