creating a "choir"

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can anyone give me some clues on creating pseudo-choral sounds?

I'm thinking about a vocorder, and some "ohh" and "ahh" samples (or my rusty ol' DSK plugin). I need some hazy, vague articulation, as if there were several voices singing at once. Would more passes of the same line, with some, well, 'chorus' (or flanging), be one way to do it?

Vocoding a choir sample doesn't really work as well as you think it would. A vocoder applies the formant of the modulator (your voice) onto the carrier (choir sample). The problem is, the choir sample already has a strong formant, which is what makes it sounds like a voice to begin with.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

If you've got a lot of patience, you could record yourself doing the 'ohh' and 'ahh' samples (at at least 4 different pitches per octave) then spend ages in Melodyne changing the formants and timing of each. Then put them all through an ensemble chorus effect. Or you could get something like NI Komplete Elements which comes with a rudimentary choir sample set and isn't all that expensive. That way you'd also get a lot of other useful stuff.

Big Busker wrote:Would more passes of the same line, with some, well, 'chorus' (or flanging), be one way to do it?
Yes. I used that at the end of this (old) song. It is more the suggestion of a choir than the actual sound of a choir, but if that's what you need it works.

https://soundcloud.com/nine-of-kings/al ... re-selfies

Return to “Production Techniques”