What are you using in your mastering plugin chain?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys

Thought you might be interested to hear about a new ebook guide to mastering I've recently released on getthatprosound.com.

This is the sixth one in the series, and I was determined to demystify some of the aspects of mastering that can trip up new (and even more experienced) producers.

As ever, it was a huge amount of work to make it truly worthy of the 'ultimate' tag, so do check it out if you're struggling with any aspect of the mastering process.

Anyway, an interesting thing that came out of the writing was the opportunity to re-evaluate my own mastering methods and how I chain plugins and settings together for mastering. For example, I've got into using dual limiters one after the other at the end of the chain, each with gentler settings than you might use with a single limiter, which can produce equal or even louder/punchier results with more transparency. As always, it's all about the subtle accumulation of effects :wink:

So I thought this might be a good time to start a discussion about mastering approaches, which plugins people are using most for their own mastering, which processes they do or don't touch during mastering (e.g. some are happy to use stereo and harmonic enhancement or colourful saturation when mastering, others prefer to use these only when still mixing); any particular tips or techniques you swear by?

Cheers everyone!
“The height of cultivation runs to simplicity.” – Bruce Lee
http://www.getthatprosound.com

95% of what I work on starts with Equilibrium -> MSED -> Limitless.

Once in a very great while I I'll use Kotelnikov in there somewhere, and about 40% of the time I'm also using another instance of Equilibrium set to M/S mode.

Hi Erik
Thanks for the response, good insights. That DMG pairing is certainly a very powerful combination, Limitless seems to be becoming a new standard :) Do you not use compression that often because you're working mostly with electronic music that is already relatively heavily compressed?
“The height of cultivation runs to simplicity.” – Bruce Lee
http://www.getthatprosound.com

In some aspects yes, the tracks are already compressed. Or maybe I should say I just don't hear the need for compresssion on most songs. Plus with things like Limitless, I'm doing a lot more dynamics control than just straight limiting. Sometimes I just prefer handing it that way if I can, makes more sense to me.

I'm of the cumulative compression school. I have compressors on every track, every group and the stereo out, none compressing more than 3dB (unless I want a compressed sound effect) .
The stereo out has: PSP Triple (VU) meter, elysia Alpha, elysia Museq, BX XL, another PSP Triple meter, Steinberg Brickwall Limiter. On rock or edm stuff I may use SIR StandardClip before the second meter.
I like loud. :shrug:

Well.... I don't really approach mastering from the point of view of having a 'chain' - or at least any kind of preset chain that I use as a default. It could be as simple as an eq and a limiter or an eq, an M/S eq, 2 compressors, a saturator and a multiband compressor and a limiter - you just never know. I have certain preferences and a few fx chains saved in Reaper that I use often enough to warrant a saved fx chain.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I'm enjoying:

Nugen Monofilter (mono bass)
NI Solid EQ (HPF/LPF)
Ozone 7 (various modules)
Saphira / Reviver (harmonic excitement)
Re-Fine (psycho-acoustic)
Limitless / Stealth

Final file goes to RX5 for logarithmic fades (if needed), checking ISP overshoots, DC offset, spectral edits (if needed) and output dithering.

I haven't decided on a definitive mastering EQ. Ozone has that mostly covered - and I love Museq - but I'm looking to invest in either Pro-Q2 or Equilibrium.

Gear list here:

http://hermetechmastering.com/equipment/

But if it's all ITB (very rare for me, almost always hybrid digital and analogue loop), then I'll use one or more of these:

DMG EQuilibrium & Limitless
Voxengo MSED
TDR Slick EQ M

The more I use Slick EQ M, the more it's replacing EQuilibrium. It's not that one sounds better than the other, just that I find the Slick a lot quicker to get me where I want.

As for techniques, I could probably write reams, but it all comes down to the fact that every client and album are different, and you do what serves the music and the client's wishes, and that changes for every project, so at the end of the day clear communication is as important as any other part of the process (experience, great room, great monitoring, and lastly, gear).

Very interesting about Slick eq, you're not the first person I've heard say that.

I'm really not fussy with eq but I still find T-Racks classic eq and good old Ren eq to be all I need most of the time. I'm using TDR Nova more and more though - both for eq and dynamic eq.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Tarekith wrote:Very interesting about Slick eq, you're not the first person I've heard say that.
Check the fully working demo of Slick EQ M, Tarekith, save disabled but a good way to try it out. EQuilibrium is for sure WAY more tweakable and fully featured, and once you've set up some starting presets it's very quick to use and sounds great, but I just find myself using Slick more.

http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-slickeq-m/

Cheers man.

Mono lowbw if needed -> SlickEQ M -> Kotelnikov -> Clip? -> Limit
Usually one does not need more. Sometimes there's SlickHDR and some Upwards Comp, but thats not usual. Sometimes saturation if one needs.

Back in the day mix was crap and master was the saving throw (which changed whole tone/balance :P) - These days less is more :)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

If anything requires "fixing" I go back and fix it in the original mix. It depends on the genre, vibe and song - but generally I start with the
Waves LinEq lowband eq (to roll off the sub 30hz frequencies)
then
-Ozone 7 Vintage Tape (Or Slate Tape plugin, depending on source material)
-(and/or/maybe SPL TwinTube, depending on the track)
-Waves SSL Compressor (light "glue" compression with a little analog character)
-Elysia passEQ (in mide-side mode, for typical mastering EQ applications)
-Ozone 7 multiband dynamics (to smooth out balance and control dynamics in any particular band that needs it)
-(maybe Ozone 7 exciter, if it needs it)
-one more instance of the Waves LinEq lowband eq (to keep the sub 30hz from creeping up)
-Invisible Limiter
-Voxengo SPAN so I can see how things are shaping up.

I have no fixed setup I am using because it all depends. On the mix bus I normally put those things that can help getting my track to the point where I want it (polishing if you like). I try to deal with most of the compression and EQ on each track already. But normally it looks like this on my mix bus,

- EQ from Melda
- Dynamic EQ from Melda.
- API 2500 compressor from Waves.
- Limiter from Melda

Some times I used only trackbox from Nomad. It's a great channel strip plug. I might use SK Note stereo compressor because it has mid/side compression. I might also add some EQ from Nomad if needed, just for coloring.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Return to “Production Techniques”