MIX CHALLENGE - MC24 August 2016 - Winners announced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Quick update on the Mix Round 2 results:
You're not left hanging, they're planned to drop in tomorrow (Sunday, Monday latest)
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Ok so I have listened again. I have made some hasty mistakes. I again apologize for that. After careful consideration and giving each mix its due time, I have had to change my hasty decisions. Without further dancing around my top 3 are

1: Davias
2: Photonic
3: Piranha

These are my personal subjective picks. NOW! an important statement which I think is even more important than picking the winners. As I was listening to the mixes I noticed one thing. Each one was better than my original. Not only because they brought a new sound but because they were more tight, airy and musical and simply more appealing. I put the winners in the top three because they stood out sonically and were most pleasing, and they were intuitive, as if they knew what I wanted from a mix better than me (mmm, thats sensual). I feel like I'm stating the obvious here but there is simply no other way to describe it. There are many flavors of ice cream but everyone has their own favorite because everyone tongue is different. Considering there were not that many competitors (thank god, my brain would have exploded picking winners among more entries) I was impressed by the range of variety and creativity. I had a very difficult time picking the winners.

Davias had in my opinion the clearest mix and retained the "flow" of the original while improving it monumentally, Photonic had the most creative mix with smooth scapes and rounded off sounds, no harshness just flow, it was unique and different and a favorite. Piranha's tight basslines and crispy percussion shot it up to the top 3 and pushed back Nightpolymath whose mix I really liked for almost the same reasons. Crunchy, dry, and just the right amount of boom in the bass. Im sorry math, but dammit your mix was good!. Picking between these two was the hardest decision for me. Kolyev's mix was unique in the fact that he preserved the original sound and fixed all of the errors that I have identified after scrutinizing my own work. Another mix that really improved the original is from Vasdim, skillfull balancing clearly makes his mix stand out as superior when compared to the original side by side. ShroomFeverish had the fullest sound of all the mixes, all the instruments could be heard clearly and retained a lot of punch.....Thats it folks, I better not have forgotten anybody! Thank you all again for putting up with me and my mix! I know that this competition has issues with numbers, so in addition to participating, I will try to recruit more peoples. I had a great time with this!

That is a nice summary! Thank you for that, Loris. I really hope we see you in the future as part of the mix participants, or maybe as client again. :tu:

With that said, congratulations to the Winners Podium, and a thank you to all for your participation. As usual, the Winners Podium can pick from the available pool of licenses. You know the drill.

Furthermore:
Yes, I'd love to see more participants in future challenges. So please spread the word, inform people that we need more content to mix, and new faces as mix participants are always welcome as well.

See you in the next challenge. :party:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

The waiting was worthy !

Huge thanks Loris for picking my mix as the winner ! And I appreciate your detailed comments for each mixes, I liked how you stated that the quality was there everywhere and that in the end it was your personal taste you used to pick the podium, it means we all are good mixers now somewhat :p

I'm happy that I could "feel" what you wanted to achieve as a final mix, I can't say I'm always lucky on that side with previous iterations of the mix challenge, so I guess the mixer's personal taste is an important element of a good mix session (even if I guess the big professionals can mix anything right after years of training...).

It is good too to know that others mixes are good because I feel then there is always room for improvement, maybe some day I could do as clean as Kolyev, smooth as Photonic or full as ShroomFeverish for example :)

And I will need smoothness for MC25 I think ! ^^

Speaking of which, I'd be happy to pick Acon Digital's Restoration Suite as prize, I'm guessing this will come in handy to clean the voices stems of MC25 lol. I'll send a PM to SatYatunes.

So again thanks to my fellow mix challengers for pushing the challenge a bit further each contest ;)
Thanks to Loris to be the client and liking my mix,
and thanks to Compyfox for organizing and maintaining the contest alive !
Last edited by Davias on Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davias was right. This was worth the waiting!

Second place in a genre I was not used to mix, nore used to listen so much was surprising me. I am very happy with this result. My best congrats to Davias an Piranha !!! Well deserved.
Honestly those creative filter automation you mentioned is something I hardly use for my own music. So I am happy that it worked!
In the last rounds I often had to quit for taking a prize because I worked only on WinXP/32, where not all prizes are working. But now I also have to possibility to work under Win7/64. So I will take the Torpedo Wall of Sound III.

cheers!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

I really liked other winners mixes, Photomic filter automation was incredible, great to know I'm in the same league!
I need a good de-esser, so I'll pick the MH Precision DeEsser. :)

Return to “Production Techniques”