Clock DVA (sampling) sound/production (and sequencing), and etc.? (for dummies like me)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Perhaps this belongs in the sample forum, I'm not sure.

What little info I've dug up and what little I can glean from listening to Clock DVA's productions it would seem mostly sampling is going on. I can only guess that 12 bit samplers such as the Emax are mainly involved (I've no idea concerning the sequencing and recording, etc.).

I'm essentially a sampling dummy and as such I'm more or less relegated to using 'one hit' stuff for drums (LinnDrum, 909, etc.).

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or pointers or places/means wherein I can direct myself to veering towards/into similar production techniques/sounds as the '89-'93 Clock DVA sounds/atmosphere.

I've started experiementing a bit more seriously with trackers as a way to 'restrict' myself into a slightly more 'rigid/militant' sound that (to me anyway) recalls those old hardware sequencers I'd imagine were likely used by acts such as they.

Again, I'm lousy with regards to samples. Also, the realm of free samples is such an enormous one full of weeds and nearly impossible to wade through. There's SO much...and all at once...so little.
Laugh if you must, but I've a good store of old soundfonts (because I'm more of the sample player than sampler..ssooo...).

I'd imagine I'll often need a bitcrusher to dial things down to 12 bit, yes?
I'm wondering too about how to deal with the fact that some of those awesome old samplers that they also had great filters. So...yeah. That's something else to consider as to how to emulate, combat, deal with.

In short, I guess I'm wondering the best path and easiest way to at least start towards this? (Note: Due to budget I'm always a freeware guy, so that's going to be a consideration for all of this.)
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

Industrial post-punk... So it has to be a bit rough at the edges. I think the raw material you use doesn't really matter. There's too much choice indeed. Just pick a sample collection of a drum machine, any one is good enough to work with. Pick one and stick with it.

Working with samples, to be more precise the sample editing is imho best done with a WAV editor such as Audacity, Wavosaur, or whatever you fancy. Reduce the bit depth? Then save as 8-bit. (or lower volume with 48dB, save and amplify back.) Add distortion? Amplify so it hard-clips. Get creative !!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Get Protracker! (or real Amiga :D) http://16-bits.org/pt.php

Bitcrushing to 12bit.. may work, not really fan of crude bit crushers, there is more to the sound of 8/12/14bit samplers than bitrate/samplerate, especially AMP and Filters.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

MachFront wrote:Again, I'm lousy with regards to samples.
If you say it many enough times, you end up believing it

Drop Adi a line on FB, he's a friendly chap! Love CDVA!

BertKoor wrote:Just pick a sample collection of a drum machine, any one is good enough to work with. Pick one and stick with it.
Ya know what? Just this bit alone is interesting and worth thinking about. I have to wonder however (not having direct knowledge of such things) the breadth of, say, drum samples such artists had at their disposal with a single Emax or Akai-900 plus a disc or three of 'extras' bitd.
legendCNCD wrote:Get Protracker! (or real Amiga :D) http://16-bits.org/pt.php
Heh. I'm actually having a bit of fun with both MilkyTracker and Psycle. Though, I admit, even though I'm trying to soldier through beyond the noodling about I've done in the past out of curiosity, my familiarity with the likes of Reaper (and energyXT, MuLab, Reason, Tracktion, Podium, etc.) still keeps me wanting to simply find a way to 'restrict' myself in such an environment. Still, the learning part has been fun.
legendCNCD wrote:Bitcrushing to 12bit.. may work, not really fan of crude bit crushers, there is more to the sound of 8/12/14bit samplers than bitrate/samplerate, especially AMP and Filters.
Yyyeah. With my limited knowledge I know I'm not going to get some sort of miraculously Mirage sound simply by using a bit-crusher. I seem to recall the old Computer Music DS-404 having nice filters/filter options. But I also recall it was a bit odd/PITA to work with (especially for the likes of myself, heh).
Numanoid wrote:
MachFront wrote:Again, I'm lousy with regards to samples.
If you say it many enough times, you end up believing it
You're right, of course. But sampling is one of my 'weak links'. All these years I somehow still find it oddly mystifying/esoteric. I'm hoping spending some time in this area will force me to learn beyond the most basic of basics.
Hermetech Mastering wrote:Drop Adi a line on FB, he's a friendly chap! Love CDVA!
Hm. That'ssss...a thought. Well, why not? I've added him on FB. Who knows? :lol:

that ought to answer it, but given the era and style,

i'd be quite unsurprised if digitisation from tape were involved. in the eighties i was only copying routines out of magazines... cassette tape was storage for a number of machines, and digitising audio from tape was something people did :)

that's the amazing thing about computers... *supposedly* the theory is it ought to potentiate the user to create their own procedures, instead of (as i choose to express it) being a cocksucker of industry and consuming processes and technology instead of creating them.

it's 2016, and still, we all seem to believe that all processes must be handed to us from wherever, instead of the idea that *we* ought to be doing some shit.

can we, at kvr, please culture an awareness that, *we* can do shit, on our own?

it does make one inclined to vulgar language considering the widespread use of language to place all lips upon peckers and suck from the pecunious.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

this is the part where a moderator bans me and says,

"xoxos, stop trying to rile people up. let them consume. hahahahaha!"

what's the f**king point of even being alive. let mr. emax be alive, we'll just be surrogates.

learn how or be cut down?
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I dunno, Friday night substance abuse posts can certainly be quite amusing. ;)

yeah. i really appreciated when my mother died and little_fluffy_something said i was on drugs.

say what you want mate, you're the one that has to be you tomorrow. for what it's worth, not taking a shit on people today, might work in your favour when that day arrives.

xoxos wrote:that's the amazing thing about computers... *supposedly* the theory is it ought to potentiate the user to create their own procedures, instead of (as i choose to express it) being a cocksucker of industry and consuming processes and technology instead of creating them.
That's honestly the best tech-related crystallization of a concept I've read in a long while :clap:

it was the time reference to the 1980's when the idea of owning a home computer to only run other peoples' software would have been preposterous, like owning a car you only let other people drive. in donald trump language like getting married so your mates can have a shag. ---> grab the pc.

i'd better go before i say something people can't deal with. *straw hat and cane dances off stage* *comes back on and does that thing with the knees*

xoxos wrote:it was the time reference to the 1980's when the idea of owning a home computer to only run other peoples' software would have been preposterous
Exactly, I actually said that very thing to someone over here already, before you wrote it, when I remarked locally that I just read a biting tech thought on kvr :)

That's indeed how it is/was.

Ha ha! I actually fully appreciate xoxos input here. It's not at all less valuable.
This is far and away a more elucidating thread than the similar one I attempted to start on Clock DVA's tools/production a year or two ago....or something...

I want to say a great big thanks to everyone here! Cheers! :)
Anymore stuff to keep me from being a great big dummy in this respect, I'll embrace it folks. :)

Return to “Production Techniques”