How did you improve your mixes a lot?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mementus wrote: How can I break this loop and make better mixes?
weed.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

What did they say about yours?
Post some of your works

sorry guys I am a little messed. ASAP I'll make a mix and post it. In the main time thank you for the tips and views. Really appreciated!

I like to read you :phones:

Seconding Do Androids Dream here
A loads of time and experiment, comparing to targets you want to sound like.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

spend less time on kvr

funky lime wrote:Someone above said arrangement. I think this is pretty crucial. If there are conflicting frequencies in two instruments, don't reach for an EQ just yet. Maybe you need to re-write the parts first.
Or before you go back to the drawing board and start rewriting stuff, you could try panning. Even things that have "conflicting frequencies" can find their own individual spaces if you pan them apart.. sometimes even a small amount can be huge and help to spread out your mix across the 'soundstage'.

One thing I've learned the hard way is the method of highpassing EVERYTHING except kick and bass can really thin a mix. Some of that low weight under a hihat (or especially a snare) for example is actually very valuable.

Another thing is "Mono everything above XXXhz to gain headroom and keep everything tight in the club" - not always the case. Use your ears etc!

bronxsound wrote:spend less time on kvr
Yes - and my new surprising advice is:

---> Spend more time on kvr! :o
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Shrooms. Can't go wrong with that.
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

A previous comment was made to listen to the track and make notes. Heres a cool addition. Instead of writing. Create a track to record spoken word. Then play the track and instead of writing, speak your thoughts. They will also be time alligned. Later you can zoom out to total project. If you see a wav on the spoken word track you know there was an idea. Zoom in and you are already set up to edit.

Return to “Production Techniques”