Finally Time To Get Serious

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm finally at that stage of my life where I don't have to work and have all the time in the world.

So, after almost 40 years of recording music and sounding like crap doing it, I'm finally going to get serious about learning the craft. No, don't worry, I'm not coming here to have anybody spoon feed me anything. All I'm looking for is a road map, if one such exists. Unless of course it doesn't really matter what order I do things in.

In other words, does it matter if I learn how to properly EQ instruments around vocals so that they fit in the mix before I learn how to do compression on a finished track? Does the order of learning matter, like when you go to school and they teach you addition and subtraction before multiplication and division or can I learn this stuff in any old way?

If order matters, what is the usual course of order in learning music production? I'll do all the work and find the video tutorials, provided they exist. I'd go to a school to learn this if I could afford it but I can't. So independent study is my only option. Just want to know where to start, if it matters. If not, I'll just grab a topic and start learning.

Thanks for any advice anybody wants to share.

If you're looking for a bit of structured learning on a budget, check out http://advancedmusicproduction.com/

I honestly can't comment on the quality of instruction as I have not watched it, but I have seen others on the forum compliment the teaching and I do know that the class is taught in an A-B-C-D method. It is structured, organized and might at least allow you to build a foundation before watching every tips n' tricks youtube video out there.

I hope others will jump in, especially if they've watched the AMP series and can provide feedback on it. I would think (and hope) that this would be better than a Groove3 course simply because its the same instructor throughout, and there would be an assumption you started out with the introductory coursework whereas many of the Groove3, Lynda.com and other similar sites often assume the need to cover basics as part of the course (which can make for a painfully boring lesson).

Otherwise, congrats on the free time and good luck with the journey!

elxsound wrote:If you're looking for a bit of structured learning on a budget, check out http://advancedmusicproduction.com/

I honestly can't comment on the quality of instruction as I have not watched it, but I have seen others on the forum compliment the teaching and I do know that the class is taught in an A-B-C-D method. It is structured, organized and might at least allow you to build a foundation before watching every tips n' tricks youtube video out there.

I hope others will jump in, especially if they've watched the AMP series and can provide feedback on it. I would think (and hope) that this would be better than a Groove3 course simply because its the same instructor throughout, and there would be an assumption you started out with the introductory coursework whereas many of the Groove3, Lynda.com and other similar sites often assume the need to cover basics as part of the course (which can make for a painfully boring lesson).

Otherwise, congrats on the free time and good luck with the journey!
I just went through their courses outlines. Nothing on EQ, compression, mixing, etc. Won't help.

Yes they do.... There's a dedicated module, titled EQ and Compression. Then there's another module titled Mixing Music.

***EDIT***

It actually looks like there's separate modules for Compression and EQ, respectively, but I honestly can't tell since there's also a separate boxed image for "Compression and EQ" as a singular product.

Not exactly the type of confidence building organization for buying into a structured learning environment.

Anyway, hopefully someone can add something useful about this other than just product placement.
Last edited by elxsound on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Their site is a pain in the ass to navigate, but here is what's covered in their course (for the "Pro" course @$39 pre month).

elxsound wrote:Yes they do.... There's a dedicated module, titled EQ and Compression. Then there's another module titled Mixing Music.
Well it's not listed on their site unless it's well hidden. I went through everything under courses and there's only like 6 or 7.

Here is the list I found.

DIY Studio - I don't need to build a studio.
Modern Music Gear - I don't need modern music gear.
Modern Music Composition - I don't need to learn how to compose.
Music Programming - I don't need to learn music programming.
Recording Music - It's live music with mics. I'm in the box.

And that's it. That's all the courses they have listed. So if there is stuff on EQ, compression, mixing, etc. they sure did a great job of hiding it.

elxsound wrote:Their site is a pain in the ass to navigate, but here is what's covered in their course (for the "Pro" course @$39 pre month).

Okay, I have no idea where you found that but it doesn't matter. A lot of that stuff I don't need. And I'm not paying $39 a month for a lot of things that I don't need. All I want is whatever videos I need to learn how to make a mix that doesn't sound like crap. That's all. I don't need music programming and bass lines and all that nonsense. I need a very selected group of topics strictly related to mixing.

Haha... Yeah I just edited my prior post... Terrible navigation. You have to click on one of the "more info" links because as far as I can see all the individual products look like they require a monthly subscription.

They definitely have modules on EQ, Compression and Mixing but I just don't know how its broken down.

I learned all the basics at Coursera, in courses titled, Introduction to Music Production, Introduction to Ableton Live, Introduction to Digital Sound Design, Creating Synthesizer Sounds for Electronic Music, Fundamentals of Music Theory, and Developing Your Musicianship. I seem to recall that all of them were presented by Berklee professors, but I can't be sure. This was back in the day when you could not only do the course for free but also get feedback on your work; these days you get access to the course material but from then on you're on your own; I don't think you even get access to the forums nowadays. But if you can afford to pay for it, it can be great fun, especially working on the projects, comparing your ideas and material with others, and hanging out on the forums.

While I was doing this I was checking out courses on Groove3 and ADSR (I still am a couple of years later, with an inexpensive monthly fee) and watching a lot of YouTube videos on various subjects. This cross between a specialization course and the scattergun approach suits me, but obviously isn't for everybody. I find that each thing I watch and learn reinforces something I learned previously.

But if you were a beginner wanting a structured course picked from various sources, I'd suggest a suitable syllabus might be:
DAWs, recording, tracking
How sound works
Basic audio effects
Synths and other instruments
Programming synths and using samplers
EQ, dynamics (compression, multiband), mixing
Your preferred genre - how to construct an entire tune
The master chain and mastering

In other words, similar to the order in which you might structure a piece of music from start to finish. I've heard some of your work and you're obviously not a beginner, but it might be useful to go over basic material again for reinforcement. When you want a break from this you could brush up your music theory and start something different but related - which, for me, was songwriting.

Starting from where you're at now, though, I'd suggest looking for anything with 'advanced', 'mastering' or 'masterclass' in the title, such as ADSR's Advanced Mixing, Mastering Mixing, Mastering EQ, Transition FX Masterclass, Advanced Envelope Modulation, Advanced Sound Design, Compression Masterclass, and so on.

garryknight wrote:I learned all the basics at Coursera, in courses titled, Introduction to Music Production, Introduction to Ableton Live, Introduction to Digital Sound Design, Creating Synthesizer Sounds for Electronic Music, Fundamentals of Music Theory, and Developing Your Musicianship. I seem to recall that all of them were presented by Berklee professors, but I can't be sure. This was back in the day when you could not only do the course for free but also get feedback on your work; these days you get access to the course material but from then on you're on your own; I don't think you even get access to the forums nowadays. But if you can afford to pay for it, it can be great fun, especially working on the projects, comparing your ideas and material with others, and hanging out on the forums.

While I was doing this I was checking out courses on Groove3 and ADSR (I still am a couple of years later, with an inexpensive monthly fee) and watching a lot of YouTube videos on various subjects. This cross between a specialization course and the scattergun approach suits me, but obviously isn't for everybody. I find that each thing I watch and learn reinforces something I learned previously.

But if you were a beginner wanting a structured course picked from various sources, I'd suggest a suitable syllabus might be:
DAWs, recording, tracking
How sound works
Basic audio effects
Synths and other instruments
Programming synths and using samplers
EQ, dynamics (compression, multiband), mixing
Your preferred genre - how to construct an entire tune
The master chain and mastering

In other words, similar to the order in which you might structure a piece of music from start to finish. I've heard some of your work and you're obviously not a beginner, but it might be useful to go over basic material again for reinforcement. When you want a break from this you could brush up your music theory and start something different but related - which, for me, was songwriting.

Starting from where you're at now, though, I'd suggest looking for anything with 'advanced', 'mastering' or 'masterclass' in the title, such as ADSR's Advanced Mixing, Mastering Mixing, Mastering EQ, Transition FX Masterclass, Advanced Envelope Modulation, Advanced Sound Design, Compression Masterclass, and so on.
Thanks Garry. This is very helpful. I was hoping it would be something like this but wasn't sure. That's why I asked.

I might not have as much work ahead of me as I thought.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:8-part series :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHTP9d1 ... 5qWF5zh-2X
Thanks. I will definitely bookmark this.

wagtunes wrote:

Sometimes seems a little dry, but definitely worth the watch :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Sometimes seems a little dry, but definitely worth the watch :tu:
If you're recommending it, I'm sure it is. And don't worry, I don't mind dry. Just give me what I need to not sounds like a 3rd grade hack.

I'd look on YouTube, there is a lot of good stuff for free. Check out Pensado's Place. A Grammy winning mixer interviews someone each week and give a mixing tip on each episode. You you just want the tips, watch the into the lair playlist.

Another good one is the recording revolution. There is a long series called 5min to a better mix that has tons of great tips that are easy to understand. There are of course longer videos too.

Return to “Production Techniques”