-20 dBFS pink noise? Setting reference mixing volume.

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How do i measure -20 dBFS pink noise?

I'm setting up mixing levels following an online tutorial. I have a pink noise file but i'm not sure if it's -20 dBFS.

*edit*
Well i found a -20 dBFS pink noise file from Bob Katz here. So i guess i can figure it out now.

Just use an RMS meter, that should be -20dBFS RMS I think. For sines the peak and RMS will be the same if you stick to the AES standard. In the room you'll need an SPL meter to arrive at the correct loudness.

Doesn't dBFS = RMS?

Nope, dBfs is just decibels relative to Full Scale.
Can be a lone peak, can be a-weighted average, can be RMS or whatever.
Should be specified!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Oh, I see. So when people say record at -18 dBFS gets the best results they should specify RMS or what type. I've watched recently a video about setting recording levels properly on puremix and Fab Dupont said the best results are at -18dBFS. He gave an example that converters on AVID HD I/O are aligned at -18dBFS which is = 0dB VU = +4dBu = 1.23V. I'm trying to understand what was he referring to, right now. I thought he was talking about RMS.

nIGhT-SoN wrote:Oh, I see. So when people say record at -18 dBFS gets the best results they should specify RMS or what type.
dBFS = dB Full Scale, so maximum signal strength
dB RMS = dB "Average" signal strenght

The lettering post dB basically declares what meter was used.

nIGhT-SoN wrote:I've watched recently a video about setting recording levels properly on puremix and Fab Dupont said the best results are at -18dBFS. He gave an example that converters on AVID HD I/O are aligned at -18dBFS which is = 0dB VU = +4dBu = 1.23V. I'm trying to understand what was he referring to, right now. I thought he was talking about RMS.
Ouch... like WTF OUCH! If that really came from Fab Dupont, then I highly question the video series he's been pushing as of late...

Here:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

To quote Mr Sengpiel
There is no decibel to dBFS converter

Notice - Comparing dBu and dBFS: There is really no fixed
world standard like e.g. −20 dBFS = +4 dBu = 0dBVU.
The digital peak scale is not equivalent to the analog RMS scale.

You can never match dBFS and dBu.
By plain math you can't, but by proper measurements and setting up your equipment, you certainly can declare that:
viewtopic.php?p=5775714#p5775714 (and read the follow up content)

My KVRmarks (see sig) might be of further help. I answer all these questions in minute detail.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Just use an RMS meter, that should be -20dBFS RMS I think. For sines the peak and RMS will be the same if you stick to the AES standard. In the room you'll need an SPL meter to arrive at the correct loudness.
Thanks. These things can get complicated at times, and worse perhaps, make me second guess my ears.

I'd done tests in the past, but i wanted to check again since my studio has changed.

Current mixing volume is (max) at about 83dB SPL. With pink noise that's about 75dB SPL. Which is ok, this room is not that big and i work at lower volume mostly.

Return to “Production Techniques”