Need J Pop Vocal Production Help

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

You just need to listen to the first chorus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xndnjX74EyM

How do they do this? Obviously it's either several people singing and/or double tracking but I think there's more going on than just that.

I have MUnison by Melda Productions, which can simulate many singers and I am going to try it but any tips you can give me as to how they get that vocal sound will help.

Thanks

** EDIT ** Essentially, how do you get that room full of people sound?

You need a room full of Japanese girls. Job done. :tu:

thecontrolcentre wrote:You need a room full of Japanese girls. Job done. :tu:
Thanks. That was so helpful.

wagtunes wrote:
You need a room full of Japanese girls. Job done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jpYi3_c9NE

AstroCastro wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
You need a room full of Japanese girls. Job done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jpYi3_c9NE
It's a wonder why anybody comes here for help.

Well, the other guys are indeed right. Is your question then maybe: How do I achieve this with a synthetic vocal?
I´d say... that´s almost impossible. Each girl has her own little unique way to interpretate the melody, the timing, the pitch and the words.
That´s the liveliness in it.
Other than that, they´re laid out in the stereo field so that they don´t sound like standing in the same place.
And of course there´s the very standard choral-arrangement, it´s really not far from what you´ll hear in church, made to the melody which gives it some richness.

Best Regards

Roman Empire

Roman Empire wrote:Well, the other guys are indeed right. Is your question then maybe: How do I achieve this with a synthetic vocal?
I´d say... that´s almost impossible.
Hence my previous reply ... it will be easier to recruit a bunch of teenage girls, than trying to synthesize that sound (imho).

@Wags lighten up a bit. You get a ton of good advice on this forum, as you are well aware. ;)

So in other words, I'm SOL and might as well not even bother.

Okay what if I did this?

I have 5 different Vocaloid voices

Diva
Dex
Daina
Songman
Ruby

I also have Melda Production's MUnison which has a formant control in it.

What if I took 4 tracks for each Vocaloid, added a different formant to each one, added a slight delay of different lengths (because no two people sing at exactly the same time) and then spread the 20 tracks out along the stereo field with just a touch of room reverb on each, adjusting decay times slightly for each as, depending on their position in the room, the decay will be slightly different, would that get me pretty close?

That's about the only thing I can think of.

Am I missing something? Come on guys, put your thinking caps on. What if you had to pull this off and didn't have the budget for a chorus of girls?

I´d say that there´s no handbook for achieving this without human beings which I know of, so I think you should go forward with your idea. One thing that could add more realism is if you have a reverb that lets you put people in different positions of a room, and put that on each group of girls (if you would choose to have 4 groups set up instead of spreading them individually - play around with it and see what sounds the best) or each girl separately (lots of CPU overhead needed, threadripper time! :) ).

I´m really curious to see what comes out of it. I´d say that if you have a well arranged 4 or 5 voice choral group set up with what you´re suggesting, perhaps it´ll come to life.

Best Regards

Roman Empire

すみません。トイレがどこにあるのか教えていただけますか?ありがとうございました。
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

wagtunes wrote: What if I took 4 tracks for each Vocaloid, added a different formant to each one, added a slight delay of different lengths (because no two people sing at exactly the same time) and then spread the 20 tracks out along the stereo field with just a touch of room reverb on each, adjusting decay times slightly for each as, depending on their position in the room, the decay will be slightly different, would that get me pretty close?

That's about the only thing I can think of.
Give it a try and get back to us. Its the phrasing that'll be difficult to get right imho. I'd be interested to hear what you get 8)

ゆっくり話してください。
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Roman Empire wrote:I´d say that there´s no handbook for achieving this without human beings which I know of, so I think you should go forward with your idea. One thing that could add more realism is if you have a reverb that lets you put people in different positions of a room, and put that on each group of girls (if you would choose to have 4 groups set up instead of spreading them individually - play around with it and see what sounds the best) or each girl separately (lots of CPU overhead needed, threadripper time! :) ).

I´m really curious to see what comes out of it. I´d say that if you have a well arranged 4 or 5 voice choral group set up with what you´re suggesting, perhaps it´ll come to life.

Best Regards

Roman Empire
Is there such a reverb that you know of? If so, I'll go out and get it if it'll make the job a little easier.

wagtunes wrote:So in other words, I'm SOL and might as well not even bother.

mod edit wrote:no need for personal attacks

Return to “Production Techniques”