HP sucks the life...

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HP filters sucks the life out of my music...

I'm curious how others handle this. HP the low end makes my music sound cold and sterile but it creates space in the mix. I'm thinking the next step is to preserve more low end to bring back it back to life with automation. :help:

HP may not be needed all the time... try low shelving band instead.

One important aspect when working with filters is phase distortion..it can easily make a sound weak when played against another :!:

Try bringing 'fullness' back with lower level pitch shifted doubles and sub sinewaves

Thanks. So you shift pitch the low end to avoid cancellation?

Everglide wrote:HP filters sucks the life out of my music...
Don't over do it?

I (try to) make (psy)trance so I highpass all non bass tracks from 100hz. Though for break, all is highpassed from 20hz..

Anyways, then I decide which track needs higher highpass and what track needs more space to be heard. Often for example a pad sounds a bit thin but plucks are punchy and have as much space as they need. Sometimes other way around
Last edited by Distorted Horizon on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You are imagining things.

Dr Dre used a lot of HP.

What sucks the life is when you over use HP AND don't compensate with a thick low end that's when you get these really thin sounding EDM type mixes.
My latest release 'News to Me' features at #4 on Traxsource Essential Garage charts: https://www.traxsource.com/title/924594/january-29th

Everglide wrote:Thanks. So you shift pitch the low end to avoid cancellation?
No, I pitchshift parallel tracks when needed... and on individual tracks and not the master channel..

If a certain technique does not work for you, then just don't waste more time on it.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Just don't HP the bass at too high a frequency. Or don't HP it at all.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Where are you putting these filters relative to fundamental frequencies? If a highpass onset is below the lowest fundamental of a part then it should do a fairly harmless reduction of low-freq noise. If the filter is reducing the fundamental on some notes more than others then it will make the tone inconsistent which is unnatural.

Thank you for the replies. I like the "just don't do it" responses and the low shelf is the key.

imrae wrote:Where are you putting these filters relative to fundamental frequencies? If a highpass onset is below the lowest fundamental of a part then it should do a fairly harmless reduction of low-freq noise. If the filter is reducing the fundamental on some notes more than others then it will make the tone inconsistent which is unnatural.
My synth parts often have added sub oscillators which creates additional frequencies and a richer sound. HP removes the warm in my patches and I'm not talking about the sub frequency region. Point is, I'm trying to free up the bass and kick rejoins but I don't like the steeliness that comes from the HP.

You may be pulling the highpass too high. I typically set it at 100-150 hz. And you have make sure you have a bass and kick drum to fill up the low end and make the sound full and give it oomph.

Try Dell.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

There's also the Pultec trick of using a resonant HP filter; this adds some weight above the cutoff, so it feels like less is taken off. Highly (sorry!) recommended.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Return to “Production Techniques”