Magix drop Samplitude dongle...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not sure I understand this download/dongle-less version, but if it has variverb, the am suite, those fx and amunition..........that would pretty much be worth the price of admission!

ESPECIALLY, if they are vst and can be used in other hosts! God, I wish they sold amunition separate. 8)

Bob Nova wrote:
HobbyCore wrote:
The issues is that to do so, you have to cripple the OS (windows). That is completely unreasonable to me.
Then you're obviously doing something wrong.

But no point feeding the OS Wars.
Why was it necessary for him to bash PCs in this thread about PC only software? What's he even doing here? If he's just trolling and tossing out flame bait I can deal with that. I'm still loaded from last time. :)

I'm getting very tired of the same old Mac FUD and lie toss routine. I have never removed anything from XP and I make music just fine. Some people may butcher their XP install but not everyone.

It's simply not true and you should narrow your wide sweeping general statements to something a little less like the ultimate Mac user wet dream and more like the truth.

Here's some truth for you. Macs were so overpriced and had so little software for so long that the only way Apple could save their 5% market share was to build PCs and run Windows. Unfortunately for Apple that hasn't worked all that well either. Only 10% of Mac software is Mac only, most of the tiny amount that is available is still PC ports.

There are more people running NT4 than OSX. Look at Win2000 and the numbers are about the same. Even Vista is installed on more machines. As bad as people think Vista is, as far as the numbers are concerned, Vista kicked OSX's ass in less than 8 months. M$ has 90% of the world OS market and XP has 83% all by itself.

Mac users are quick to point out that Mac sales have increased 61% over last year but the declining sales of the iPod and boy are they way down, still make more money for Apple than Macs do. I'll give you 2%, just for the hell of it I'll even give you 5% and make it a 10% share and it still wouldn't make any difference.

Apple is not in the OS business they are in the computer business. That difference means that I can't install OSX on anything but a new Mac but I can install XP on a 486 socket 3 66MHz w/8Meg of ram.

It also means that I have to buy a Mac to run the latest version of Logic. To me that's extortion. I admit it's a pretty low level of extortion but it still pisses me off. Not that I care if I ever boot my Mac or run Logic again, it just shows what lengths Apple will go to to sell a new computer or two.

Actually it's pretty sad that despite their attempt to convert the PC logic users to Mac by pointing a gun at their heads, it didn't work. Not even slicing the price in half, for all practical purposes selling it below or at cost has made any real impact.

Now that the iPod is in serious decline it's a good thing Apple has the iPhone and iTunes because if they were relying on computer sales it would be time to close the doors.

Mac lovers..... We have so much trouble connecting the tiny number that are out there with reality that I think it's a good thing that there are so few of them.

Even though the Mac may even be better at some things and I'm not saying it is, it doesn't matter with a 5% share. It wouldn't matter with a 10% share either. The Amiga was better than them all and you couldn't buy a new Amiga today to save your life because Windows 95 killed Commodore. The Macintosh didn't exactly die but it's been on life support ever since.

As clever as Jobs is, despite his best efforts and a huge pile of money Mac gets a 1% increase. At most companys a 1% increase in market share would get the marketing manager fired.

hibidy wrote:I'm not sure I understand this download/dongle-less version, but if it has variverb, the am suite, those fx and amunition..........that would pretty much be worth the price of admission!
I am not sure I understand it either fully but I know the version of Samplitude that has all the plugs you mentioned above is Samplitude Pro 10 not Samplitude DLV which is based on Samplitude 10 (or what used to be called Samplitude classic)

Samplitude DLV appears to be based on "Samplitude 10" not "Samplitude Pro 10" a step up from "Samplitude 10"...confusing I know.

The DLV version of "Samplitude 10" probably has a feature set that is pretty much identical to "Samplitude 10" in this version comparison grid...

Variverb (full version it appears) is included in SDLV. But there is no AM suite and no Ammunition plugin. Also for some reason the Code Meter software used for the dongle is still present and used in the download version of Samplitude.

It took two attempts just to kill the process in Windows task manager and I had not even started the application (30 day free trial of the download version) yet. It seems to attempt to access the internet as well. Why this is needed for a serial number based product I do not know.

It only requires a serial (supposedly) but it appears Magix also require the Code Meter dongle copy protection software to run as well. Even though it is a download version. There is no mention of Codemeter software anywhere that I can see in the description or product listing for Samplitude DLV.

Even without Multicore support, Samplitude Music Studio looks like far better value IMO anyway as it has 64 tracks just like the Samplitude DLV version and has versions of the Vintage FX suite and Variverb as well as the full notation / Score editor from "Samplitude Pro 10" IIRC as well.

Once you have killed the CodeMeter process will Samplitude still run?

aMUSEd wrote:Once you have killed the CodeMeter process will Samplitude still run?
Good question

It better run without it, or there go the "dongle-less" version claims.
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

It better run without it, or there go the "dongle-less" version claims.
It does I just tried it . I quit the tray icon and also killed the Codemeter process .

christianmusicmaker wrote: Variverb (full version it appears) is included in SDLV. But there is no AM suite and no Ammunition plugin.
Exactly. AM Suite (and am-munition) are included in 'Pro' only, apart other stuff. VariVerb is included in the download version. The whole thing can be seen as the 'Samplitude Classic' as it used to be the name of the app with V9.
christianmusicmaker wrote: Also for some reason the Code Meter software used for the dongle is still present and used in the download version of Samplitude.

It took two attempts just to kill the process in Windows task manager and I had not even started the application (30 day free trial of the download version) yet. It seems to attempt to access the internet as well. Why this is needed for a serial number based product I do not know.
I have to ask our Volker why the Wibu software is still included, perhaps he simply didn't want to mess with code branches and therefore issues due to version differences. There's probably a simple and unspectacular reason for this.
Just be assured that the dongle doesn't access the internet. It never had. It just wants to access 'localhost' (therefore a probabe firewall alarm). The CodeMeter software acts as a server. We needed such as Sequoia (the big code mother) is a network-capable DAW and integrates into content-management systems like those used by radio stations/post-production facilities. There's no 'phoning home' or something; we aren't interested in such.
Last edited by sascha on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

So could it be uninstalled?

aMUSEd wrote:So could it be uninstalled?
The CM? I can't say before next week.
You may try asking in our Samplitude newcomer forum. Perhaps André or Volker are around at the weekend (they often are).
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

tomg wrote:Why was it necessary for him to bash PCs in this thread about PC only software?
You complain about an unnecessary post, and then go into a long rant about Macs on a Samplitude thread?

I'll just put: :roll:

Bob Nova wrote:
billybk1 wrote:
captain caveman wrote:
As for whether or not they can afford price dropping, click here to see that maybe they cannot unless they sell a lot more units.
Holy smokes! That is not a promising trend for shareholders or for the end users for that matter. :shock:
That explains it. The company isnt doing well obviously and everyone knows the economy is going into the shitter in the US and EU.Time to ship some units...fast.
I'm no expert at reading share values and relating that to future prospects, but to the uninitiated this looks simplly DIRE :-o :help:

Unless I misunderstand, MAGIX's value has plummetted 700% in the last three years... :?:

How long can this company be expected to continue in those circumstances before the doors close? (an important question, surely, for anyone even considering investing in this latest version release...?)

Samplitude 9 SE, which came free with Computer Music magazine, was the first DAW I really got into. It was full of features and great fun to use, but eventually I became frustrated with the "lite" version's restrictions. The full version of Samplitude was far too expensive for me - in fact, it seemed far more expensive than anything else on the market - so I was forced to look around and eventually chose *cough*sorry*cough* Reaper. Admittedly, Reaper was extremely cheap due to the one-man-band nature of the development team, but Samplitude seemed excessively pricey, even for such a good program.

As for Magix needing to shift a lot of units: Samplitude is (and always has been) the worst publicised major DAW. The marketing department really needs to get its act together and start placing lots of colourful and informative adverts in the major music magazines and influential websites. Magix must drop its price and start offering cheaper upgrades, etc. It would be a shame if such a good host disappeared from the market.
Read reviews of free netlabel/Creative Commons music at Catching The Waves, a most amateurish free music blog. @catchingthewave

aMUSEd wrote:Once you have killed the CodeMeter process will Samplitude still run?
Yes Kraznet is correct. It will still run. Which begs the question why include Codemeter software at all...?
sascha wrote:I have to ask our Volker why the Wibu software is still included, perhaps he simply didn't want to mess with code branches and therefore issues due to version differences. There's probably a simple and unspectacular reason for this.
Just be assured that the dongle doesn't access the internet. It never had. It just wants to access 'localhost' (therefore a probabe firewall alarm). The CodeMeter software acts as a server. We needed such as Sequoia (the big code mother) is a network-capable DAW and integrates into content-management systems like those used by radio stations/post-production facilities. There's no 'phoning home' or something; we aren't interested in such.
Thanks for clearing that up sascha. My Firewall has blocked the Codemeter software and SDLV still runs so yes it looks like Volker left work early the day SDLV was finalised...no summer holidays for him unless he has taken them already :hihi:

But seriously it does look like left over code as it appears to make no difference to SDLV's functionality AFAICT.

I would be interested to find out how to uninstall Codemeter as it is clearly not needed for SDLV.

Lets see there is a Codemeter runtime kit uninstall option...I'll remove it and see what happens...

I seem to remember the dongle-less Reaktor 4 installing Wibu drivers so as to enable people who had made ensembles using Reaktor 3 (that used the dongle) to open their projects so maybe that's also the case for older Samplitude projects and the drivers are installed for people who made projects with a version that used a dongle even though it is now not needed for new users? If that is the case though you'd have thought they would at least have made it optional and told users about it beforehand.

headquest wrote:
I'm no expert at reading share values and relating that to future prospects, but to the uninitiated this looks simplly DIRE :-o :help:

Unless I misunderstand, MAGIX's value has plummetted 700% in the last three years... :?:

How long can this company be expected to continue in those circumstances before the doors close? (an important question, surely, for anyone even considering investing in this latest version release...?)
I feel a bit bad now for posting a link to the share price. :oops:

In markets, the share price can have little to do with the survivability of a business, it's just a reflection on how actual profitability relates to the speculation and ratings that were applied to the stocks at different times and the subsequent rushes to buy or sell said shares.

The current credit crunch crisis for example stems from bankers investing heavily in investment vehicles that had a credit rating stamp of approval from Standard and Poors which were in fact dependant on ninjas (No Income No Job folks) paying for them. Now the entire financial world has screwed itself over in the name of easy profit and we are all paying the price.

Just a poignant example of how wrong the "whizz-kids" can get it.

So it is much "safer" to buy Samplitude than (for example) Reaper or SawStudio where if one guy dies/falls seriously ill then the product is up in the air.

Magix is profitable and has over 300 employees.

Again, apologies for scare-mongering.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”