Reason 6.5 - Any new workflow features, or just RE?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

headquest wrote:The BV512 doesn't have bad band phasing when it is in 32 band mode, only when it is in other band resolutions. The issue with it though is that you don't have full control of the 32 bands.
Sorry, you're incorrect. Even if the bands are set to +/- 0 DB, you'll still get coloring due to phase interaction and overlap between band pass filters. This occurs in 4-32 band mode.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:
headquest wrote:The BV512 doesn't have bad band phasing when it is in 32 band mode, only when it is in other band resolutions. The issue with it though is that you don't have full control of the 32 bands.
Sorry, you're incorrect. Even if the bands are set to +/- 0 DB, you'll still get coloring due to phase interaction and overlap between band pass filters. This occurs in 4-32 band mode.
Doh ... thanks for correcting that. FOr some reason I thought this is why James Barnard changed his multiband refill, to avoid phasing. Or was it the other way round? Ah well... I guess that a 32 band graphic eq Re device will have more appeal then. Cheers :cool:

Personally I love the way modern software EQ's have started commonly to include a spectrum analyser built in (and draggable nodes are a very obvious workflow benefit offered by software). Although I have fairly good monitors (and phones), my room is *imperfect* (being generous!) so the added visual element does help. I've just been trying the eeReakon EQ that is included free on the latest CM cover disk, which sounds superb as well as having great visuals. And it seems to be 100% stable in Ableton and have a tiny CPU footprint ... I really hope that at some point Reason users can get to benefit from all these great tools that are commonplace elsewhere.

actually i just tested it, it colour the sound in an unpleasant way in any mode, enochlight is 100% correct.

Still can't see a use for this RE, the only one that makes sense is the Uhbik Q so far as RE e's are concerned.

Just thought I should mention that I contacted the Props and they reminded me that the current RE SDK is version 1.0 so naturally it's limited in what it can do. Succeeding versions will add more and better capabilities, including functionality that will let developers create types of devices that Reason users haven't had access to.

Things improve.

That's a great point (and fantastic to see you back here Meffy!)

But I guess everything else improves too. And in terms of the Re format it has some catching up to do first, by which time the goal posts will keep moving. For example the advances offered by AAS and VST 3.5 (note expression stuff). And there will be more. So let's see how things develop, sure, and let's ask for the things we hope to see. For me at this point, most of the things I hope to see in the Re format already exist in the VST format, including a lot of stuff that is freeware and way more advnaced than some of the Re stuff people are paying for. But that may all change...

There's plenty of overlap, agreed. Still there are important differences. I couldn't do without both of my two main workstation programs, Reason and Sonar. Each gives me abilities the other doesn't, meaning they complement each other very nicely.

Being able to flip the rack around and do my own routing -- that's what I love most about Reason. Sonar brings other strengths. I pick one or the other based on what kind of project I'm working on at the moment.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”