How is Reapers midi functionality compared to Logic?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just get Cubase - the best at Midi bar none.

Ha! But, then you will have to be

:borg:

;)

I may be :borg:, but I'm finally happy with midi. That could just be the implants making me think that though... :scared:

hibidy wrote:
kbaccki wrote:
hibidy wrote:@embarrassingly bad: Yes it is. The reason? Because the devs are better than that. If they wanted to actually put some time into midi and take care of a couple of these things, I seriously doubt it would be terribly difficult for them. The real problem (again :roll: )

When was the last time they put any time into midi? 6 months ago? 8 months ago? :shrug:
Think of it this way: whatever they're doing, at least they're most likely not spending time implementing ProChannel modules. :lol:

Seriously, losing a little faith here...
True that :phew:

I'd MUCH rather be able to just add alloy like I do :)
At the minute i use sonar X1 and it has the benefit of a built in step sequencer per audio/midi track/channel with seperate Quantize, groove, swing and humanization features which you can work with and then convert to midi,or convert midi files to step sequencer files which makes editing a whole lot easier and innovative. Thats my 10 penneth anyhows
In sonar x1 to there's been a vast lot of improvements since sonar 8.5. And the prochannel for me is top dollar, I use the la2a more than the IK one in the Tracks deal. The 1176 emulation is also another, with added bonus of parallel mixing with the all button in mode activated. Really brings instruments to life. Top that off with Softube saturation and softube mix bundle just a click away with hardly any processor hit and Im laughing. The Midi handling has drastically improved with the ability to enable and disable any midi tracks in the same viewer . To do with midi splitting, its so much faster now to use the X1 tools bar, you can also split the notes with alt+left click and delete just as fast. Its a lot easier than selecting and deselecting from right click menus
and then you can always make a new clip with the spare midi and drag it into the browser and make a new folder anytime just with the midi edits in it, a bit like a track manager but midi clip manager, good stuff. I used to work with 8.5 and X1 expanded is a different product all together. Like comparing cubase sx1 to cubase 6.

When it comes to Midi - Reaper is really weak here! Just try a very simple thing: try to record a midi loop in the overdub mode = so every loopcycle you add some stuf (forgot how its called in Reaper).

This is useful when you record a drum loop for example - ín the first round you record kick and snare i the next some hihats and then some percussions - its really hard to accomplish this easy task in Reaper from my experience.

It has been mentioned on the Cockos/Reaper forums that the developers might treat Midi as secondary and cater more to the classical recording artists, who often are very satisfied with Reaper.

Izak Synthiemental wrote:When it comes to Midi - Reaper is really weak here! Just try a very simple thing: try to record a midi loop in the overdub mode = so every loopcycle you add some stuf (forgot how its called in Reaper).

This is useful when you record a drum loop for example - ín the first round you record kick and snare i the next some hihats and then some percussions - its really hard to accomplish this easy task in Reaper from my experience.

It has been mentioned on the Cockos/Reaper forums that the developers might treat Midi as secondary and cater more to the classical recording artists, who often are very satisfied with Reaper.

+1

Well, but they went this far :shrug:

Anyways, dead horse. Gotta live with it or not. The more people complain about it, they more they ignore it. *sigh*

hibidy wrote:Well, but they went this far :shrug:

Anyways, dead horse. Gotta live with it or not. The more people complain about it, they more they ignore it. *sigh*
Thats really bad business, especially since it really started to gain ground
and now its the few minute flaws that start to show that ironically puts people off of what really is a top class program. Put it this way, for routing audio and the fact that I used to hook two Pcs together and use the reaper fx to send the audio back and forwards through the ethernet cable for some proper processing power when combining them was truly unique to reaper. This is where reaper can stand up and claim N0 1 status. I would use reaper but i needed the extra benefits of the other DAW's that have been going years, in fact I still try it out from time to time because its a stellar program. If only they would do something like REAPER X1 like cakewalk did with sonar 8.5, take care of all the problems people were experiencing and I do believe that would be it. End of discussion. Who Knows? perhaps they will, They can obviously program software and I bought most of the stilwell fx having first tried them in reaper!!. Whats happened?? I wish stillwell would make some proper emulations like UAD type fx because obviously they can. I would buy them all, and then if they ported them all to Reaper like a ReaConsoleStrip built into every mixer channel... Well you get the idea. We can but dream... Why is it people have all the good ideas apart from the software coders that are meant to implement this sort of thing to boost the sales of their Software. :( :( :(

Understand that even though I'm furious at what seems like clear avoidance about the midi stuff, I still prefer it by leaps and bounds.

Like I said, I know enough about it to futz my way through. I can do pretty much whatever I want with it. But it's PAINFUL at times. And I refuse to accept that tude from them about midi :x But it's still the only host I'll consider seriously at the moment.

To try and offset my bitching:

It's hella stable
all my plugs work with it
super cpu efficient
Can be clean and tidy (folders, docking)
very powerful
Handles audio tracking better than anything I've ever used
LOVE the mixer!
LOVE the width control (is cubendo and PT the only other two? can't remember)
I like the way the rado 4 theme looks :D
Love the interface overall (and of course for many it's uber custom)

The SWS extensions are wonderful! And that they are supported and expect nothing other than a few donations (which I'm sure many don't make) for all that! :o

Geoffry makes a terrific FREE manual! And of course Kenny leads the way with his very well done viddys :)

so don't think I'm just complaining :evil: I'm passionate about taking the next steps. I see NO GOOD REASON that midi can't get a little love now and then GRRRRRRR.

Izak Synthiemental wrote:When it comes to Midi - Reaper is really weak here! Just try a very simple thing: try to record a midi loop in the overdub mode = so every loopcycle you add some stuf (forgot how its called in Reaper).

If you right click the 'ar' (arm record) button on a track in Reaper, you can change how Reaper records. For what you have described, choose 'MIDI overdub'.

The first rule of Reaper is to right-click everywhere, and get familiar with those right-click context menus. If you see something in a menu that you want to change, got to 'Options > Customize menus/toolbars'.

sellyoursoul wrote:

If you right click the 'ar' (arm record) button on a track in Reaper, you can change how Reaper records. For what you have described, choose 'MIDI overdub'.

The first rule of Reaper is to right-click everywhere, and get familiar with those right-click context menus. If you see something in a menu that you want to change, got to 'Options > Customize menus/toolbars'.
Forgive, but I think he's got that.

It's a bit dicey tbh. It works "ok", I have that as a default (god what a pain to change it everytime!). One other thing that would be nice for those of use who are not beat genius's would be global input quantize. Again, can't be THAT hard to implement considering they have an "input" quantize :roll:

hibidy wrote:
sellyoursoul wrote:

Forgive, but I think he's got that.

It's a bit dicey tbh. It works "ok", I have that as a default (god what a pain to change it everytime!). One other thing that would be nice for those of use who are not beat genius's would be global input quantize. Again, can't be THAT hard to implement considering they have an "input" quantize :roll:
Can you explain what is dicey about it?

To set things up so that you don't have to always change the track settings, you can save a track template. If you don't want to go through the context menu to open track templates, you can set a key shortcut for 'open track template'. For example, ctrl-T (opens track template directory), double-click MIDI track template.

sellyoursoul wrote:
For one thing, it's really tough to always get it to be quantize strength "a" and "swing". Plus, you have to repeat it for every clip (which sometimes the project doesn't always remember exactly the way you want)

Too much info. I don't have licecap knowledge, so I don't have a way to show visually what I mean, but it's not a situation of 100% certainty.

What I want:

-all clips selected AND OR input global quantize setting. We'll use this as an example: 90% strength/17% swing. This is NOT easy to in reaper currently. Can you do it? of course! But the key word is EASY.

Again, finger "groove tool" allows for project based "groove", but I'm not a MPC guru. I don't always remember that a particular "groove" template is what I want. However, I know what 90% strength/17% swing should be like ;)

Er, again, forgive.......but "ctrl-T" makes another track here.

hibidy wrote:
sellyoursoul wrote:
For one thing, it's really tough to always get it to be quantize strength "a" and "swing". Plus, you have to repeat it for every clip (which sometimes the project doesn't always remember exactly the way you want)

Too much info. I don't have licecap knowledge, so I don't have a way to show visually what I mean, but it's not a situation of 100% certainty.

What I want:

-all clips selected AND OR input global quantize setting. We'll use this as an example: 90% strength/17% swing. This is NOT easy to in reaper currently. Can you do it? of course! But the key word is EASY.

Again, finger "groove tool" allows for project based "groove", but I'm not a MPC guru. I don't always remember that a particular "groove" template is what I want. However, I know what 90% strength/17% swing should be like ;)
Try the track template thing that I mentioned above, being sure to set strength and swing in 'Track recording settings' before saving the template.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”