Reason fanboy's thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IncarnateX wrote: Frankly I think I am the only "fanboy" (whatever that is) around and I just got the program two weeks ago, so its gonna take some time before I have something to upload -unless you want small snippets of ideas. Good initiative though. Keep the music coming.
Ah, okay, early days indeed :)
Hope you have loads of fun getting into Reason and look forward to some music from you in the future. Do you have a Soundcloud page or similar?
Meanwhile I have bought myself the virtual vocaloid singer "Leon" and as far as I get it the vocaloid program can both be rewired and used as a VST but I haven't tested it yet. But it shall be cool to add a "singer" to Reason and spice the possibilities of the vocoder and voice synth up.
Always been interested to hear how Vocaloid develops, and the reviews have been getting better as it has matured :cool:

Regarding Rewire - so far as I can see Vocaloid only runs as a Rewire Slave (synth/instrument) and not as Rewire Master. Reason is - unfortunately - the same. So there will be no way for you to rewire them together... sorry for the bad news on that front.

For Reason to be a rewire master is I think one of the most popular feature requests among users, but sadly its not something that PH have yet done or mentioned. So I think what you will need to do in order to get your vocaloid audio into Reason is bounce it down and import the audio files into Reason in the usual way. I guess you would have to do that in another DAW of your choice, unless it runs in standalone mode?

headquest wrote:Regarding Rewire - so far as I can see Vocaloid only runs as a Rewire Slave (synth/instrument) and not as Rewire Master. Reason is - unfortunately - the same. So there will be no way for you to rewire them together... sorry for the bad news on that front.
Damn it! Well I guess Vocaloid has to run as a VST in Orion while Rewiring Reason then. Just hope my netbook can handle the CPU. Worst case scenario is that I have to make some phrases first in Vocaloid and then import them to Reason and add the music. I will find a way.

Cheers

IncarnateX wrote: Damn it! Well I guess Vocaloid has to run as a VST in Orion while Rewiring Reason then. Just hope my netbook can handle the CPU.
You can run them simultaneously in sync that way, but you still wouldn't be able to feed the audio from Vocaloid into the Reason rack devices. Rewire doesn't allow audio to be sent to the Rewire Slave (i.e. Reason) - only MIDI. Sorry.
Worst case scenario is that I have to make some phrases first in Vocaloid and then import them to Reason and add the music. I will find a way.

Cheers
Yes, I think that is what you will need to do. Have fun, will be great to hear Vocaloid fed through Neptune/etc once you've got it working :cool:

A good assortment of RE's on this one :):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjph1r8l69d8be7/sawyou.m4a

headquest wrote:You can run them simultaneously in sync that way, but you still wouldn't be able to feed the audio from Vocaloid into the Reason rack devices. Rewire doesn't allow audio to be sent to the Rewire Slave (i.e. Reason) -only MIDI. Sorry.
Yup I know that. But Reasons audio can be routed to Orion and be added to the output of Vocaloid, which can be processed in Orion too as a VST.

At least I can make the music and vocals simultanously this way. When I am satisfied I will export the Vocaloid tune as a wave to Reason.

headquest wrote: Do you have a Soundcloud page or similar?
A miserable one, but since you ask I have uploaded a few examples of what kind of (lame) electronic music I intend to make with Reason. The tracks are made solely on an iPad using different apps including vocoders and a text to speech generator. Some vocals are from some sample libs.

"Computer children" is build upon a loop I made in the Rebirth iPad edition. Likewise with "The Gathering" though ReBirth enters late. So Propellerhead have a little saying here as well.

http://soundcloud.com/incarnatex

I think Reason will suit my (lack of) style fine.

Cheers

Reason is better than everything else so there and so says Me a proper reason FanBoy, and if anyone dare say anything I will find you and set upon you with several nasty type dogs and baseball bats and hammers for your feet. You get the idea

That second paragraph from Chris Randall explains a lot. I've been a user since it arrived on the scene in 2000, having dabbled in ReBirth but never getting on board. At the time (late 90's), I was still using a hardware workstation - an old early 90's Ensoniq ASR-10.. so ReBirth's inability to be controlled with hardware was always a sticking point for me. Then Reason comes along, and I sold my ASR-10 the day after I played with version 1.0.

Never looked back.

I tend to be a balanced fanboy, though. I have my stock of criticisms and downright irritations, but the benefits far outweigh my issues. I come from a hardware background and Reason just "clicked".

I recently added the Nektar Panorama P4 to my studio, and it's strange... it's integrated so well with Reason I almost feel like I've come around full circle, right back to a hardware workstation! Well, an infinitely more powerful hardware workstation, that is.

I don't have a well managed SoundCloud page, so here's my bandpage on FB. The first track (Iceberg - Of Love & The Apocrypha) was produced entirely in Reason 6.0. The items from my Iceberg EP were composed in Reason 4.0, but vocals were recorded in Adobe Audition. It's darkwave, for the most part, so may not be anyone's cup of tea. :D

https://www.facebook.com/nympheas.music ... 8091127385

EnochLight wrote:That second paragraph from Chris Randall explains a lot.
Which paragraph are you referring to?

eXode wrote:
"Reason Fanboy paragraphs" Mr exode. If anyone was a reason Fanboy you would be no 1 contender for it. Many an hour have I spent messing with your reason 3 combinator sounds and patches.Very good(well some of them, well most of them), so there is no need for any of this negativeness. So Please stop this gung ho, John wayne attitude and have a little more respect toward the Reason Fanboy Club, since it was my idea for the name then I get to choose who is a fanboy. Its a good job im in a good mood or I would have banned you Instantly. So think on from now on, or else.. :?

Trakstar wrote:
eXode wrote:
"Reason Fanboy paragraphs" Mr exode.
Haha, OK. It just seemed like he was quoting Chris Randall but I couldn't find any quote that he was quoting... :D

Never mind me... :)

eXode wrote:
Trakstar wrote:
eXode wrote:
"Reason Fanboy paragraphs" Mr exode.
Haha, OK. It just seemed like he was quoting Chris Randall but I couldn't find any quote that he was quoting... :D

Never mind me... :)
When I first got reason 3 I downloaded all your synth patches and learnt a hell of a lot of stuff from them. so cheers to people like you that made such refills for free, Also the songs in reason 3 back then were kick arse better than any others. Best reason song for me?

The red T shirt and or Distance from Tulsa :)

eXode wrote:
Oops - yeah - I forgot to cite which post I was talking about. Yes - it was from the 2nd page of this thread from Saturday-something-or-another:

"Now, with that out of the way, it should be noted that Reason's relatively static existence and insular nature allow a person to develop a mastery that isn't usually paralleled in other DAWs."
Trakstar wrote:"Reason Fanboy paragraphs" Mr exode. If anyone was a reason Fanboy you would be no 1 contender for it. Many an hour have I spent messing with your reason 3 combinator sounds and patches.Very good(well some of them, well most of them), so there is no need for any of this negativeness. So Please stop this gung ho, John wayne attitude and have a little more respect toward the Reason Fanboy Club, since it was my idea for the name then I get to choose who is a fanboy. Its a good job im in a good mood or I would have banned you Instantly. So think on from now on, or else..
Um... K....

Hmm...so now I have owned Reason 6.5 for a month and been a fanboy just as long. Still rocks but I have decided that REs are not for me simply due to the fact that take up too much power. Good for people with hardcore processors but that ain't me. So far I have bought Polysix, ABL Pro and the dual pitch shifter Polar. The last one is good for processing vocals but the synths have just as high cpu usages as the VST versions. Instead of going back to a RE cpu usage like any other VSTi, I'd rather jam a lot of ideas on my iPad, import them to Reasons' samplers and add Thor, Subtractor and Malstroem when needed. However Polysix and ABL pro are still cool in their modular forms and I think I will use them to make loops and feed them to Kong, NN19 etc.

In all I think I have departed a little from the idea that I will use Reason as a selfcontained synth studio with REs. Instead I will take advantage of the modular connectivity and light CPU usage of the samplers and onboard instruments. This way my iPad will have it's saying as well as a loop source.

Let us see if I change my mind once again during my second month of ownership.

IncarnateX wrote:Check out some iPad 2 Techno at:

http://soundcloud.com/incarnatex
Your stuff sounds good - it's a similar genre to what I work in. What apps are you using on your iPad to compose this? Record the vocals? What are you using for mixdown?

I have an iPad (new), but I mostly use it with TouchOSC and ReTouch Control to control Reason. :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”