Windows 8 / touchscreen / blah

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rodan wrote:
KevWestBeats wrote:I upgraded to Windows 8 over the weekend. I really like it. The start window takes some getting used to and I wish I could hot key the search menu because I use it a lot now. I haven't gotten all of my software installed but thus far only one piece of non music related software has given me any trouble at all. Live 8 and Reason 6.5 are running nicely on this OS. I have the Live 9 beta but I haven't installed it yet.
Just press windows key and start typing and it automatically searches
great thanks for the tip

No problem. I found myself thinking the same thing before I knew it worked this way.

Once I accidentally discovered that it worked that way I found myself using it a lot and loving it. Extremely useful. Now I just wish file search was a bit faster.

Hello All,

Just thought I'd chime in and let you know that before the month is out we will release SONAR X2a, a free update for all SONAR X2 users, which will feature Windows 8 support along with touch support. This will make us the first DAW to support Win 8 and the first and only DAW to support touch, AFAIK (X2a will support single touch, multi-touch, and has all kinds of touch gestures built-in to various views).

I've been using it so far on an Intel Ultrabook with 5-point multi-touch and a 27" 1920x1080 monitor with 10-point multi-touch, and its pretty awesome on both.

Here's a link to the newsletter in which it was announced with some more info ... http://www.cakewalk.com/images/cakewalk ... NARX2.html

Seth

Oh. So it's not "actually" available yet.

Oh well, back to others.... :hihi:

Seth [Cakewalk] wrote:Hello All,

Just thought I'd chime in and let you know that before the month is out we will release SONAR X2a, a free update for all SONAR X2 users, which will feature Windows 8 support along with touch support. This will make us the first DAW to support Win 8 and the first and only DAW to support touch, AFAIK (X2a will support single touch, multi-touch, and has all kinds of touch gestures built-in to various views).

I've been using it so far on an Intel Ultrabook with 5-point multi-touch and a 27" 1920x1080 monitor with 10-point multi-touch, and its pretty awesome on both.

Here's a link to the newsletter in which it was announced with some more info ... http://www.cakewalk.com/images/cakewalk ... NARX2.html

Seth
Reason 6.5 has supported Windows 8 for a few weeks now. Live 8.4 beta also supports Windows 8.

KevWestBeats wrote:

Seth
Reason 6.5 has supported Windows 8 for a few weeks now. Live 8.4 beta also supports Windows 8.
If you're going by betas, then SONAR X2 beta has supported Windows 8 for months. :D

Seth

Seth [Cakewalk] wrote:
KevWestBeats wrote:

Seth
If you're going by betas, then SONAR X2 beta has supported Windows 8 for months. :D

Seth
Even if we aren't using betas that doesn't exclude Reason 6.5.2 which has been out for 2 or 3 weeks and does support Windows 8. Sonar is not the first DAW to do so which was my point.

KevWestBeats wrote:
Seth [Cakewalk] wrote:
KevWestBeats wrote:

Seth

Seth
Even if we aren't using betas that doesn't exclude Reason 6.5.2 which has been out for 2 or 3 weeks and does support Windows 8. Sonar is not the first DAW to do so which was my point.
Interesting. I looked on Props page for Reason and Win 8 is not listed in their system requirements for the app. Anyways, I put an 'AFAIK' after that statement because, well, it was AFAIK. :)

Seth

Seth [Cakewalk] wrote:
KevWestBeats wrote:
Seth [Cakewalk] wrote:
KevWestBeats wrote:

Seth

Seth
Interesting. I looked on Props page for Reason and Win 8 is not listed in their system requirements for the app. Anyways, I put an 'AFAIK' after that statement because, well, it was AFAIK. :)

Seth
http://www.propellerheads.se/download/i ... 65_fixlist

Reason 6.5.2 / Reason Essentials 1.5.2 Release Notes

Authorizer now works properly under Windows 8.
Reason now works with AMD processors under Windows 8.
Fixed Combi patch backwards compatibility that was broken in 6.5.0 and 6.5.1.
Default browse locations now work as in Reason 6.0.2.
Rack Extensions now respond to sample rate changes in the ReWire host.
Dropped support for 22,050 Hz sample rate on playback and export.
Fixed crash bug when exporting song containing a placeholder device.
Stopping playback now cuts hanging notes in Rack Extension devices.
Fixed a bug that caused audio glitches in Neptune's Live Mode.
Fixed resource/memory leak when browsing in locations with lots of items.
Fixed a bug in NN-XT when doing Set Root Notes From Pitch Detection.
Fixed a bug where bounced samples defaulted to 0% Loop.
Authorizer will no longer request downloading of license data when it's not necessary.
Fixed some ReWire bugs.
Fixed a bug where the Master Section's Insert FX would be moved when moving a connected device to another position in the rack.
Fixed some name label bugs in template songs.
Minor bug fixes.

^^ Thanks for the info, Kev. Looks like they still don't support touch or multi-touch, so if you're looking for a touch DAW, stay tuned for SONAR X2a in the coming weeks. :)

Seth

Been staying tuned for about 3 months :roll:

Seth [Cakewalk] wrote:This will make us the first DAW to support Win 8 and the first and only DAW to support touch, AFAIK
Looks like Sound On Sound doesn't agree ;-)

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=12204

Giel

Seth [Cakewalk] wrote:^^ Thanks for the info, Kev. Looks like they still don't support touch or multi-touch, so if you're looking for a touch DAW, stay tuned for SONAR X2a in the coming weeks. :)

Seth
Cool. I recently left Sonar. Too many compatibility issues when I upgraded to X1 earlier this year. After 4 upgrades of Sonar only getting worse when it comes to 3rd party stuff I decided to go Live.

Same for Sensomusic Usine, we support Multitouch from several years now !
And we've announce Windows 8 support since the developer preview last year ;-)

Check this video from ...2009 !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS6xh5B7 ... Q&index=16

Funny.... I've been wondering about a move to sonar.

This might have sold me.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”