How many DAWS have you tried and what's the winner?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So u effecitvely stopped making music?
Finally!

You can call me a daw-eater. :roll:
Let me start from the point I moved to windows (the time before I was quite happy with my Atari ST daw and analog hardware).

Fruity loops was a good starting point for me in windows.
But I prefer more drag'n drop functionality, and FL's did not support my workflow in the best way.

Reaper was a great move, but somehow endless drop down menues and gui did not make me happy.

I regret buying Sonar x1, thinking cakewalk is the real pro daw, where I can learn and stay.
Further daws, I tested: Steinberg (hieroglyphs to me), and Ableton (I really liked and still miss clips and M4L support) but it wasn't stable for me.

So I ended up with Studio One Pro, I'm quite happy so far.
For special tasks I still use FL Studio and Reaper sometimes, Sonar gathers dust.

If I where looking for a new daw, I would give Mulab a closer look.
Very responsive developer, great support, fast development, modular concept.

I've been using live for a while now partly I do a lot of improv/jamming/sound design. Very nice routing and able to do some feedback with the sends.

I also use audiomulch a lot but I don't see it as a daw, it's more like a laboratory of things I patch together in crazy ways. My go to Vsthost. Been using it since the very beginning. I'll die with it.

I've recently bought Tracktion 4 (had version 1 already) and that looks like a contender for live recordings or just to do some audio collage partly due to clip-fx (ala samplitude).
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

Tried around 4 of the most pro ones and went back to Live 8 64bit because it's more greared for a one man band of all music types. Been testing Live 9 and its a great improvement over Live 8 if you don't already have expensive thirdparty EQ and compressor.

I've tried them all and I use Cubase because I like its features, workflow and GUI best. If I were doing EDM, dubstep or something similar, I'd probably use Ableton Live. I work as a media composer so my top priorities are excellent MIDI features (and Cubase is the king of MIDI imo), stability and solid scoring to picture features.

However, the only other DAW that I really liked was Studio One Pro, and I'll be glad to pick it up as soon as its MIDI and video features evolve a bit more.

I'd like to try Harrison Mixbus, but unfortunately it doesn't support virtual instruments, so it's basically useless to me as a DAW. It might be a decent editor in it's current form, but Audition has my vote there. Reaper currently gets my vote as a full fledged DAW, but even after some time I'm still finding it very difficult to get my head around some of the functions. It still doesn't feel all that intuitive to me, and I think that's the basic problem. I should probably try Studio One when I get the time.

@ rcat: You could give Cubase a shot. I find it very intuitive, had Reaper also, but as you said, i also never got my head around it. If you're not willing to pay 299 or 549 € for the Artist and full version of Cubase, you could try the entry level version, Cubase Elements, it has all that i need and more. Of course wise to demo it before buying. :) I think you can demo both the big and small version of it. Need to install the eLicenser-Software though in order to use it.

All major and few minor PC DAWs.
Happy with REAPER.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

pro tools, reason, sonar, reaper.. studio one.

Like most, I'm happy with Studio One. I hope it continues to not suck.. :P

Some years ago I've downloaded the most affordable DAWs and tested them. But the only affordable ones that I've liked were Ableton Live, Mixcraft, FL Studio and REAPER. I didn't found anything special at EnergyXT, and especially n-track seemed to me somewhat AWKWARD!

Currently I'm happy with REAPER - but not because of the hundreds of customization possibilities, I rather hate them because they keep me away from actually making music... :wink:

But nothing is forever, and if I'm too used to REAPER, I'll need a new love! :hihi:

Orion it's my every day daw
Sometimes I use Renoise
and Reaper
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

And I have to add MuLab - it's great for beginners, and the modular MUX is for experts, too. I worked with MuLab some years ago, and I still like it, especially the MuSynth and the effects sound great! But REAPER has far more options and possibilities...
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I tried Cubase-crashes all the time, I tried Energy XT- somehow did not really like it, tried Reaper and even own a license for all this DAWS, but Reaper has to much menus to scroll through, so did not like it really, and it crashes on some plugins I really need.
So I am still looking for the best DAW. May be it will be Tracktion. Love the on window workflow. Hope it will be stable and sorted out soon:)

:P It seems that not much people (yet) are using a MAC?!
To me LOGIC Pro & LOGIC Express are the best fitting DAWS. I've also tried Reason, Studio One, Reaper, MOTU DP but i encountered difficulties with those. Reason has some good synths - but on the other hand a ridiculous small Interface, plus you can't load third party plug-ins. MOTU DP has (or had) the most issues and instabilities.... I appreciate LOGIC because it's easy to understand and to use.

Delfinoverde wrote::P It seems that not much people (yet) are using a MAC?!
To me LOGIC Pro & LOGIC Express are the best fitting DAWS. I've also tried Reason, Studio One, Reaper, MOTU DP but i encountered difficulties with those. Reason has some good synths - but on the other hand a ridiculous small Interface, plus you can't load third party plug-ins. MOTU DP has (or had) the most issues and instabilities.... I appreciate LOGIC because it's easy to understand and to use.
Logic looks interesting. Too bad it's Mac only. That's Apple for you, I guess.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”