How many DAWS have you tried and what's the winner?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Babya Logic

Delfinoverde wrote::P It seems that not much people (yet) are using a MAC?!
To me LOGIC Pro & LOGIC Express are the best fitting DAWS.
I'm on mac using Reaper (switched from Reaper on PC after problems with MOTU audio interface).

FL Studio
Reason
Ableton
Logic

Now, I use S1 and plan to stick with it. I really like its work flow and it's very simple to do stuff in.

Tried / Used

ACID
FL Studio
Sonar
Cubase
Digital Performer
Pro Tools
Renoise
Reason
Reaper
Live
Studio One

Stuck With

Logic
Last edited by djanthonyw on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are currently reading my signature.

Logic.

Owned:

Sonar
Cubase
Pro Tools
Studio One
Project5
Ableton Live
FLS

Currently own/use:

Sonar
Pro Tools
Ableton Live
Studio One (occasionally, but not sure if I will keep it)
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Reaper

-easy to use
-affordable
-doesn't crash

Energy xt

-affordable
-great as a plugin, crashes as a host

Only 2 I've tried, have licenses to both, no need to ever read manuals.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Outside of a ton of trackers..

Cubase
Sonar
Live
Reaper
Studio One
FL Studio
Orion
Muzys
energyXT
Traktion
Kristal
Magix thing (cutdown samplitude IIRC)
Acid
Aodix
Podium
Reason
Bidule

and probably others..

I don't have a 'winner' though I do still use Orion more than any others. Right now I'm working in Live Lite figuring out the system in hopes Bitwig Studio meets my needs and will help the learning curve since they have a similarish pattern style of sequencing tracks.

Ableton's Live likes to crash randomly on me though.. not sure I'd ever trust it in a Live setting.. and it is annoying when I'm producing a track and it disappears. :-o I have to go back to 7+ years ago when Orion was a lot less stable for last time I've seen that.

I like REAPER but really have my head stuck in the pattern style of producing versus its linear paradigm. Haven't done a whole lot with it... wish they'd setup some method of sequencing patterns with it though. :hihi:

FLStudio
Cubase
Sonar
Live

--> FLStudio

I've been on a Mac for about five years now, after using PCs almost my whole life. I started my adventures in electronic music with Logic on my Mac back in January 2011. I think I took about a nine-month break, and tried again. I took another break until I decided to give Ableton Live a try in March of last year. I made good progress with Live last year, and prefer it when I'm composing.

I have used Logic for my weekly podcast for the past year, and now I prefer to mix my music in Logic. If I'm just playing around with or learning plugins, I prefer to do so in Logic.

I've tried Reaper and like it, but can't find a task I prefer in Reaper over Logic.

I tried Studio One 2.5, but it didn't click with me. I hope to be able to try it again later.

I want to try Cubase, but won't because I don't want to support dongles.

I picked up Renoise recently, and want to try it for certain kinds of compositions.

I am currently debating learning SuperCollider and/or Pure Data for an academic approach to learning sound design, but this may just be a phase. I need to get back to studying mixing, music theory, and composition.

In summary, it's Logic and Live for me, with the potential for dabbling in Renoise, SuperCollider, and maybe AudioMulch as well.

So much to learn, so little time. I do think that two years ago I finally found the hobby for the rest of my life: electronic music.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

Cubase 1, 2, 3 Atari
Sonar 2
Reason 2, 2.5
Tracktion + Reason 3
Live 3 + Reason 3
Live 4
Sonar 7PE
Live 5, 6, 7, 8

Every so often I try Reaper but I can't get on with it.

cubase - atari st
logic 5 - pc
cubase sx - pc
cubase - sx 3 - pc
sonar - pc
protools 7 - pc
ableton live lite - mac
reaper 4 - mac
logic 7, 8 & 9 - mac

for me, it's logically 'logic'

Logic (since Atari)
FlStudio
energyXT
Samplitude Pro
Overture 4 (more for composition and notation)
Cubase 7

(Testversions of Sonar, Studio One, Live...)

At last I always return to Samplitude Pro X

Tried / Used

ACID
FL Studio
Sonar
Cubase
Pro Tools
Reason
Reaper

Keep using:

Cubase

Own
Studio One 2.5
Live 8
Reaper
Cubase

- But i always end up in Cubase. - like home.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”